commerce speaks?

ice water

Jan 14, 2005
One Canadian friend told me that he likes Japan because he likes Japan's video games, and some electronics.

I felt curious - do you know a country from its brands or popularity of its products?

ice water

Jan 14, 2005
One Canadian friend told me that he likes Japan because he likes Japan's video games, and some electronics.

I felt curious - do you know a country from its brands or popularity of its products?

ice water

Jan 14, 2005

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Lets see - the US: Coca Cola and McDonalds (among other things, I could name an additional fivehundred brands but I'll leave it with this); China: toys (really! 'Made in China' or 'Made in Taiwan', everybody can think of a product or brand with the name of these two countries on it); Sweden: knäckebrod; Germany: bockwurst and beer; France: cheese and wine; Italy: macaroni and spaghetti.

Of course brands and products are not the only things why people know of other countries, but I do think that it has a big influence.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Lets see - the US: Coca Cola and McDonalds (among other things, I could name an additional fivehundred brands but I'll leave it with this); China: toys (really! 'Made in China' or 'Made in Taiwan', everybody can think of a product or brand with the name of these two countries on it); Sweden: knäckebrod; Germany: bockwurst and beer; France: cheese and wine; Italy: macaroni and spaghetti.

Of course brands and products are not the only things why people know of other countries, but I do think that it has a big influence.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com

ice water

Jan 14, 2005
I once liked Hollywood movies very much before I've known some about US. At that time I thought there were many crazy people in the country, and their president was wise and kind ... :D

btw, Rick van Opbergen, plz excuse me for pointing out that China and Taiwan are not 'two countries'.

ice water

Jan 14, 2005
I once liked Hollywood movies very much before I've known some about US. At that time I thought there were many crazy people in the country, and their president was wise and kind ... :D

btw, Rick van Opbergen, plz excuse me for pointing out that China and Taiwan are not 'two countries'.

ice water

Jan 14, 2005

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
About China and Taiwan: somehow I knew you would comment on that :) I have a Chinese friend and she also says that Taiwan is a part of China. I don't know enough of it to conclude about that (I understand there is a considerable number of Taiwanese who see Taiwan as an independent country) so I'll leave it with that ... but I just used the "two countries" example because in the West, most people see China and Taiwan as two different countries.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
About China and Taiwan: somehow I knew you would comment on that :) I have a Chinese friend and she also says that Taiwan is a part of China. I don't know enough of it to conclude about that (I understand there is a considerable number of Taiwanese who see Taiwan as an independent country) so I'll leave it with that ... but I just used the "two countries" example because in the West, most people see China and Taiwan as two different countries.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com

ice water

Jan 14, 2005
It's hard to say clearly the relationship between China and Taiwan. If it could make you know easier - some is a little bit like that between Canada and Quebec, some different.

ice water

Jan 14, 2005
It's hard to say clearly the relationship between China and Taiwan. If it could make you know easier - some is a little bit like that between Canada and Quebec, some different.