A letter to the People of America

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
I had to post all of the letter here. Sorry guys, but if it is too much, please remove.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A letter to the People of America
Is America better off after Invading Iraq?

december 20, 2004

Dear People of America:

More than a year has passed since your criminal government launched an immoral and illegal war on Iraq based on nothing but lies, yet you are not understanding the true scope of your ongoing occupation of a nation rife with civil, ethnic, and tribal conflict. Iraq is a nation which refuses to succumb to occupation and foreign domination and will continue to resist with all its might, for as long as it takes, to liberate itself.

Was invading Iraq worth it? Has America gained anything good from that invasion?

More than 1000 Americans have died in Iraq; roughly 10,000 soldiers have been wounded. American taxpayers are spending hundreds of billions of dollars to murder Iraqis on their own soil. Were these sacrifices worth it? To answer those questions, you have to look at the justifications given for your government's invasion of Iraq.

One justification was that Saddam Hussein ignored United Nations Security Council resolutions. This was a completely false claim as Saddam Hussein was cooperating fully with the United Nations. In fact, he invited the UN to come and search at will in Iraq and held that invitation open all the way up to the day of the illegal invasion of his country, but even if it had been true, it was none of America's concern. The United Nations did NOT ask for an invasion of Iraq and was not complaining about Saddam's cooperation with UN Resolutions because he was cooperating fully, but even if the UN had asked for such a thing, America should never act on behalf of the UN, enforce illegitimate edicts or pre-emotively strike any nation. It was totally amoral and self-serving for America to suddenly cite Iraq's alleged lack of cooperation with the UN as justification for war. Thousands of your boys and girls are maimed or dead because of this pretext and yet you turned a blind eye and re-elected the same criminals back into the Whitehouse for four more years.

Another justification for invading Iraq was that Saddam Hussein posed a threat to the United States. This was a bald faced lie. Saddam Hussein had only a small army, and virtually no navy or air force. He had no long-range weapons and no ability to strike the US 6,000 miles away. He was not working with bin Laden or al-Qaeda. The liberation of Iraq from his clutches was given as a new pretext only after the American public had absorbed overwhelming evidence that he posed no threat to America whatsoever, yet again you chose to believe a lie, turned a blind eye and re-elected Bush and his cabal back into office for another four years.

The Institute for Policy Studies (IPS) concluded that “not only have U.S. taxpayers paid a very high price for the war,” they have also become ”less secure at home and in the world.” Citing a number of recent studies, the report, 'Paying the Price: The Mounting Costs of the Iraq War,' also notes that the 151.1 billion dollars that will have been spent through this fiscal year could have paid for comprehensive health care for 82 million U.S. children or the salaries of nearly three million elementary school teachers. According to one study cited in the 54-page report, the war and occupation will cost the average U.S. household at least 3,415 dollars through the end of this year. If spent on international programs, the same sum could have cut world hunger in half and covered HIV/AIDS medicine, childhood immunization, and clean water and sanitation needs of all developing countries for more than two years“.1

The cost of war is staggering but is America better off as a result of its war in Iraq? The young men and women who were maimed or killed are not better off. Their families are not better off. Taxpayers are no better off and whether Americans are safer from terrorism at home is an open question, as even your own intelligence forces cautioned that the invasion and occupation of Muslim Iraq could breed resentment among sympathetic Muslims and serve as a recruiting tool for al-Qaeda. There is much wisdom in the words of Lew Rockwell who stated, “It is not caving in to the bees to stop poking a stick into their hive.” Surely you can all see that Americans are hated in Iraq, and throughout all of the Arabian Peninsula, not because of their ‘freedom‘ but because of their anti-Arab anti-Islamic and unconditionally pro-‘Israeli’ policies.

As a result of its invasion of Iraq America has become internationally hated and totally isolated. The National Debt is skyrocketing daily so that it will take generations of Americans to pay the price for Bush's illegal war on Iraq, there are few jobs and the economy is only good for Halliburton, big business and those who are super rich while the working poor and impoverished are left bereft of critically needed social services and health insurance. The Civil Rights Act has been all but abolished, civil liberties have been undermined and freedom of speech has been dramatically curtailed yet Americans blindly re-elected the redneck from Texas to another four years in the Whitehouse ! No wonder the world thinks Americans are stupid beyond belief !

Why are you bent on destroying yourselves. Why should young Americans be maimed or killed to liberate foreign nations? If Americans sacrificed 1000 lives to ‘liberate’ Iraq, should they sacrifice ten million American lives to ‘liberate’ the people of North Korea, Taiwan, Tibet, China, Russia, Europe, Cuba, and other nations? Should America invade every country that has a government which it dislikes? Should America continue to destroy the Arab world just to fulfill America's desire to control oil supplies in the Middle East and to protect Israel so that “Israel” can continue to terrorize the Palestinians and grab Palestinian land illegally? Should illegal invasions and Imperial empire be part of America's national philosophy? Those Americans who answer yes to those questions should know that the founders of America urged the opposite approach, namely a foreign policy rooted in staying out of the affairs of other nations.

There is no doubt that America is not better off for invading Iraq. If America continues on its present course it will destroy itself and humanity alongside it. As an Arab, a Muslim and a citizen of the world I do not want to see Arabs massacred by Americans and more American lives wasted in an un-winnable war. I therefore urge the American People to reject U.S. foreign policies which are both self destructive and creating global instability. I offer you friendly advice and emphasize that it is very important for the American People to stop turning a blind eye to the crimes committed by their government and to bring Bush and his thugs to account. I further advise you to stop your Congress and Senate from continuing their support of Zionist “Israel” and to start paying attention to the needs of the Americans instead of the “Israelis”. That is the only way that America will dig itself out of the ditch it is in. Your children and their future are worth your taking these actions. If you really want to secure America from the revenge of Arab world you must tell Bush to stop befriending “Israel” and bring back the troops from the Arab lands immediately. Once you do that you will be amazed at how quickly there will be nothing to fear from the Arab and Muslim world.

I believe that the American People are better than the criminals that run their Congress, Senate and Whitehouse and have confidence that common sense will prevail over imperial hubris and ignorance. It is in the best interests of America for the American People to reclaim their Constitution and civil rights and to adhere to the Geneva Conventions and embrace International law.

O’ People of America take back your government. Take the power away from the Zionists, Halliburton, and other big interests, and put it back into the hands of the People - all of the People. It is necessary to reject an Administration built on lies and illegal policies which violate not only the U.S. constitution, but violate the dignity of Americans and the people of the world. That would be a great way to demonstrate that democracy is still alive in America. The whole world will love you for doing that.

Very truly yours,

Iraqi citizen

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Personally I think America is worse off after illegeally invading Iraq. The economy is down in the dumps as "W" is more concerned with fighting wars than his own countries economy. Just see how "good" americans will have it in four years. No jobs.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Re: RE: A letter to the People of America

no1important said:
Personally I think America is worse off after illegeally invading Iraq. The economy is down in the dumps as "W" is more concerned with fighting wars than his own countries economy. Just see how "good" americans will have it in four years. No jobs.

Just you wait and see when the US currency is no longer the reserve treasury of the world and when the Opec and other oil producers transition to the Euro :p

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: A letter to the Peopl

That's so far though, Ricky. The Euro is really the only stable currency left and world markets hate instability.

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
War creates work.
War creates jobs.

Here, in Canada, it was the Vietnam war which carried our economy. Our minerals were in great demand.

When you figure just how much money the U.S. has spent on security since 9-11 ..... it created thousands and thousands of jobs. That is half the reason Georgie won. Anybody who had a job "sponsored" by the defence department voted for George and The Boys!

It was the wars in Latin America that helped president Ray-Gun's economy out.
Remember when General Motors was going bankrupt? The defence department gave General Motors the contract to build military vehicles.

Where would the U.S. economy be today if it were not for war?
The U.S. economy was designed by a military man and the economy is dependent upon the success of the military.

Our best times economically have been when a war is happening. Everybody has a job making bullets and even more people are employed making the plans for a larger war.

Calm

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: A letter to the Peopl

That's right, Calm. The problem is that the wars don't create wealth. Instead they create debt, and debt has to be paid eventually. It's like buying a box of bandages on your credit card.

Matty

Dec 18, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.
Things I just dont understand:

President Clinton is Impeached for having an affair and lying about it.

President Bush is NOT impeached for starting an illegal war and lying about it.

odd...

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
This tells you a lot about the political system in the US. Clinton was caught with his pants down in the "Oral" office and impeached for lying about it. Bush is caught a million times for lying to the American people about an illegal war that is killing hundreds of thousands of people and he gets away with it.

Americans do not understand the statement:

Make Love Not War.

ElPolaco

Electoral Member
Nov 5, 2004
Fruita, CO, Aztlan
www.spec-tra.com
Most americans have more of a "civic" or "public" sense of morality no matter how religious they claim to be. This morality is based more on what is "respectable" rather than what is taught by Christ. While Christ niether condones sex outside of marriage nor mass murder, nationalism has become so integrated into Christianity that most Christians see mass murder in the name of nationalism as a moral thing. Many Christian groups while claiming not to compromise with secular culture, incorporate this sense of morality into their various brands of Christianity.

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
Hey! Reverend Blair;

War does create wealth.
I know a lot of mining executives and shareholders who are getting quite wealthy mining the bullets in our lead mines and our copper mines.

I always think of what life would be like in the U.S. if it was not at war. Unemployment would be scarios.
People would be taking to the streets.

But, when your at war, money is generated. There is a huge demand for raw resources.
Money lenders are standing in line in order to finance the war.

Great stuff. Great success. Great work.

Yuh know, when I walk the streets of Toronto, I never use a garbage receptacle to dispose of chewing gum wrappers or whatever. I just toss my refuse onto the pavement. It creates work! :D

Calm

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
ElPolaco I don't know whether I can agree with you when you state that nationalism has integrated within Christianity. First, of course, there is no single Christianity, but that's not what I mean. I would turn it upside down: I think conservative people have more nationalistic feelings than progressive people. In the US, many conservatives are Christians, and Christianity is used to define a nationalistic identity - it's not as you seem to claim that Christianity is the cause for nationalistic feelings among certain conservative Christian Americans. I think it's rather a supplement.

And where does the conclusion come from that "most Christians see mass murder in the name of nationalism as a moral thing"?

ElPolaco

Electoral Member
Nov 5, 2004
Fruita, CO, Aztlan
www.spec-tra.com
Looks like the old "chicken or the egg" argument. Christianity obviously predates the idea of nation state worship (nationalism) and there are many secular nationalists. However, churches for the last few centuries have been incorporating the ideology of nationalism within church teaching. Protestant and Orthodox were much more sucessful at it than Catholics due, in a large part, to the pan-national structure of the
Catholic church. Later, however, the Catholic Church began to be influenced by nationalism in a major way. An example of this would be some of the inter-war nationalist regimes in Italy, Spain, Portugal and the wartime regimes of Croatia and Slovakia. Back in the present day, I would challenge anyone in most churches to try not pledging to the flag or, even not supporting the current war and see what happens. If you happen to be a member of a denomination that leaves one's personal chosen degree of nationalism up to the individual as I am (Catholic), observe how others in the parish react to you.

I believe most u.s Christians see mass murder (my definition, so that is where the misunderstanding comes into play) in Iraq as "moral" as they did during the Vietnam war.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
ElPolaco said:
Looks like the old "chicken or the egg" argument. Christianity obviously predates the idea of nation state worship (nationalism) and there are many secular nationalists. However, churches for the last few centuries have been incorporating the ideology of nationalism within church teaching. Protestant and Orthodox were much more sucessful at it than Catholics due, in a large part, to the pan-national structure of the
Catholic church. Later, however, the Catholic Church began to be influenced by nationalism in a major way. An example of this would be some of the inter-war nationalist regimes in Italy, Spain, Portugal and the wartime regimes of Croatia and Slovakia. Back in the present day, I would challenge anyone in most churches to try not pledging to the flag or, even not supporting the current war and see what happens. If you happen to be a member of a denomination that leaves one's personal chosen degree of nationalism up to the individual as I am (Catholic), observe how others in the parish react to you.
I do not deny that a lot of churches (congregations, as well as larger organs) have participated since the start of modern nationalism at the end of the 19th century in promoting nationalistic ideas among its followers. But I do not think that the cause of that lies as much within Christianity as it lies within the climate which was created, and still exists up to today, with the rise of nationalism as we know it. In my opinion, churches tend to "go with the flow", especially since the Enlightment kicked in during the 18th century. With a more secular view that spread among Europeans, as well as other societies, like the US, churches adapted to their environment, more than it ever had done, in order to prevent followers leaving the churches in large numbers. I think nationalism is one of those "flows". I believe that based on how especially the Roman Catholic Church in the Netherlands changed their views from the 1950s up to today. Anno 2004, the Roman Catholic Church (in the Netherlands) is willing towards the use of the Pill; the use of condoms; some priests can even get married, and divorced men can become priests as well. Secular culture kicks in, and if the Church does not adapt, it will disappear. Even in a much more religious country as the US, non-religiousness is just around the corner - enough reason for the larger churches to "go with the flow". And that flow is patriotism.

ElPolaco said:
I believe most u.s Christians see mass murder (my definition, so that is where the misunderstanding comes into play) in Iraq as "moral" as they did during the Vietnam war.
As you say it yourself: most US Christians who support the war will not see the enormous death toll as much as "mass murder", as they see it as "collateral damage".

ElPolaco

Electoral Member
Nov 5, 2004
Fruita, CO, Aztlan
www.spec-tra.com
The topic of Christianity and nationalism is obviously a topic that really interests me. I was just reading yesterday about the Orthodox churches taking a position against ethno-phyletism at the council of Constantinople in 1872. But anyway, during the recent Iraq invasion, the Pope took a position against the war, but there were many pro-administration types within the u.s. church (i.e. Michael Novak, George Wiegel etc) who tried to convince him to change his mind (not an ex-cathedra position). Most u.s. Catholics merely attempted to take the "support the troops" theme to the limit. The Catholic service org. that I'm a member of (K of C) took it to such extremes that they were supporting "the administrations war on terror" and it's "defeat of tyranny". When bush finally spoke at it's national convention, I dropped out of the organization.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Maybe a bit off topic, but I seriously wonder what the real power is of the Pope, what is left of it. I'm Catholic myself too (not religious, I view it more as a heritage thing, my whole family has been Catholic for ages, guess it's still a part of my identity, anyway, I'm seriously getting off topic now) but I can't see how a man like he can be viewed by people as a person who was send to us by a so-called God (I don't believe in a God). The Netherlands has a Catholic population of about 5 million, or roughly 1/3 of the population, but so far I have not found a single one who has actually said to me that he looks up to that man in Vatican City.

But anyway, I'm off topic now.

MarineSis1010

Dec 23, 2004
USA
Why do all you people talk so bad about Bush. Thoes people over there in Iraq destroyed our building and killed many of our people. They are still a threat. If the USA has a treat then why the the President just sit around, and wait for more to happen. He should, and did act on that threat. Do you even support the USA millitary. My brother is in the Marines, and hes proud of that. Im sorry to say, but in this world from all that has gone on in the past, you can no longer have a civil conversation to try to solve a problem. It just does not work that way. So what do you suggest Bush should have done? Try to talk it out? I'm just wondering what you think would be better?! Thanks.

USA. God Bless Your Troops!

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
Hi! MarineSis1010

Maybe after reading these sources. It's sort of where I get my information from.
Not that I'm a know-it-all. My sources are no different than yours.

This trip about "People hate America because American's love their freedom" .... does not hold true. Yuh know, my ex-wife told me the same thing. Just as she was leaving, she said that she hated me because she loved her freedom.

Americans in Iraq should be just like all those Mexican immigrants which Americans always complain about. Yuh know; those illegal ones. Those Mexicans without driver's licences. The U.S. should leave Iraq and only return when they get the proper papers and legal entry documents.

Why Bush Went to War
By Patrick Doherty
August 5, 2004
http://www.alternet.org/waroniraq/19472

White House energy task force papers reveal Iraqi oil maps
Judicial Watch lawsuit also uncovers list of 'foreign suitors' for contracts
By Paul Sperry
July 18, 2003
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=33642

Iraq 'ended nuclear aims in 1991'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/middle_east/3556714.stm

Senate Intelligence Report: Iraq Pre-War Intelligence
(PDF Document)
http://www.pair-annoyed.com:9090/!DL/News/Iraq-SenateReportPrewarIntelligence.pdf

Excerpts: National Intelligence Estimate (Oct. 2002)
(PDF Document)
http://www.pair-annoyed.com:9090/!DL/News/Iraq-ContinuingWMDPrograms.pdf