U.S. Abuse at Guantanamo

Paco

Electoral Member
Jul 6, 2004
7000 ft. asl and on full auto
The Associated Press reports with complete sincerity, a British muslim who was captured in Afghanistan and now charges abuse by American authorities.

PARIS - A Briton released from the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay told Europe's top human rights body Friday he was beaten, shackled, kept in a cramped cage and fed rotten food as part of "systematic abuse" in American custody.

After all the allegations are laid out in the story in several paragraphs, one finally sees the rebuttal…

When al-Harith and the others filed their lawsuits in October, the Pentagon the abuse allegations and said the men were properly held in Guantanamo after being captured in Afghanistan and having fought for al-Qaida

So if George is the mean, nasty war criminal he is purported to be, why did he let these guys go after he tortured them? Surely he knew they would talk of the torture they endured. Obviously, no one in the world is powerful enough to touch him or charge him with war crimes. He should have just had them killed. Right?

OR maybe this is the real motivation…

He and three other Britons were released in March and have filed a lawsuit in a U.S. court seeking $10 million each in damages.

grimy

Apr 11, 2004
So if George is the mean, nasty war criminal he is purported to be, why did he let these guys go after he tortured them? Surely he knew they would talk of the torture they endured. Obviously, no one in the world is powerful enough to touch him or charge him with war crimes. He should have just had them killed. Right?
Sounds like nothing other than a 'he said, she said' scenario. With a view to a portion of the fifty mill as an out-of-court settlement, which I doubt they'll receive.

After all, they do have to prove it :lol:

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
I think that when a government locks other human beings up, without access to family, friends or lawyer is nothing short of burying people alive.

There is no worse crime against humanity then to lock people up and treat them as lepers.

Calm

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: U.S. Abuse at Guantan

The whole designation of "illegal combatants" is illegal in itself, Paco. There are plenty of documented stories from Guantanamo and elsewhere suggesting that your government is torturing people, as well as holding them illegally. We know that the Bush regime has sought to justify their illegal use of torture in many different ways.

Why didn't Bush just kill them? Your country would have become isolated at that point. Bush knows how unpopular he is because of psychopathic stance on world issues and is constantly trying to keep world leaders from going after him as hard as their citizens whould like them too.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
I really can't believe that there are Americans still in denial of the abuse that they are doing across the globe. Are they in denial or that ignorant? Maybe both.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
He and three other Britons were released in March and have filed a lawsuit in a U.S. court seeking $10 million each in damages.

I can't deny a human's motivation for cash settlements and just cash in general. He could very well have that as his only motivation and be making it all up. I don't know the facts behind the case, but I have to admit that although I don't agree with all of your views and opinions, this one could be right on.

Other alledged torture victims don't go that far.

thefraj

Jan 2, 2005
Now that the Administration plans to detain for life - without trial, Muslims whether guilty or no - why not just turn on the showers and fire the ovens? It would leave other rooms vacant, cost the U.S. taxpayer less and more accurately portray the colours of this administration.

What we are saying here is that it is OKAY to send people to deathcamps if they are deemed a threat to the nation.

A German Chansellor deemed Jews a threat to his nation after Germany's Parliament was destroyed in a terror attack. He passed the "enabling act" (not "patriot act") to do more or less the same thing.

Are we validating his actions?

notsoproud2

Jan 5, 2005
USA
Re: RE: U.S. Abuse at Guantanamo

moghrabi said:
I really can't believe that there are Americans still in denial of the abuse that they are doing across the globe. Are they in denial or that ignorant? Maybe both.
The reason for the denial is because in an interview last year (before the story broke), Bush was emphatic. (I am paraphrasing here) "I can tell you right now, the United States does not torture prisoners."

Of course, I believed he was lying when I heard the words come out of his mouth. I have searched and searched, but I can't find a record of it, but I tell you, I heard him with my own ears!

The bottom line is, if Bush said it, it must be true. After all, he is a man of God. I'm just wondering which God. I'm thinking about a scripture in the Bible where is talks about a man who honors the "God of forces."

Now with the Washington story that Bush sent his Counsel to get approval on torture back in 2002 and people still saying he didn't know what was going on - well... situation hopeless. Bush's bots are unable to reason.