Polling in Iraq

Paco

Electoral Member
Jul 6, 2004
7000 ft. asl and on full auto
According to one web site, the following poll appeared in the Arabic newspaper Alsabah (Dec. 15th) and is the result of querying 5000 Iraqis:

What will you base your vote on?

Political agenda----------------------------65%
Factional origin----------------------------14%
Party Affiliation---------------------------- 4%
National Background----------------------12%
Other reasons--------------------------------5%

Do you support dialog with the deposed Baathists?

Yes-------------------------------------------15%
No--------------------------------------------84%
Do not know----------------------------------1%

Do you support the postponing the election?

Yes-------------------------------------------18%
No--------------------------------------------80%
Do not know---------------------------------2%

Do you think the elections will take place as scheduled?

Yes-------------------------------------------83%
No--------------------------------------------13%
Do not know---------------------------------4%

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Paco, these are pretty straight-forward questions and answers. It doesn't mean they support a certain government or a certain occupier.

I'm quite sure that "disposed baathists" are not really to blame, they had no choice but to support the party if they were political. Just like Nazi Germany, they were either party supporters or enemies :roll:

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
It will be a very interesting day, when Iraqi's go to vote. I think there will be big trouble and even if there is not the diferent religious factions wont be happy and I believe a civil war will start soon even if america still occupies Iraq.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
What's the point in an Iraqi election? There isn't a sane human being on the earth that thinks the winner will be a real boy without strings going right back to the Oval Office.

grimy

Apr 11, 2004
Post the link Paco.

There isn't a sane human being on the earth that thinks the winner will be a real boy without strings going right back to the Oval Office.
As opposed to what?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
grimy said:
Post the link Paco.

There isn't a sane human being on the earth that thinks the winner will be a real boy without strings going right back to the Oval Office.
As opposed to what?

As opposed to "a free and democratic Iraq". I would imagine.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I'm not big on praying, Grimy. I would suggest that if the various factions in Iraq were allowed to run candidates not vetted by US and British spy agencies, that there would be a lot more support for the elections and a lot less violence.

I would also suggest that if the US weren't prone to overthrowing democratically elected governments and propping up decidedly non-democratic regimes they might possibly have a shred of credibility in this world.

The most obvious suggestion of all that illegally invading sovereign states to get at their oil leads to problems and that those problems were clearly pointed out by people all over the globe before Georgie and his gang of criminals launched this travesty of common sense.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Why the election. I can tell you who is going to win.

Karazai was an interim puppet president of Afghanistan. Now he is permanent puppet president. In Iraq, a CIA trained puppet is currently interim president. In January, he will be the permanent puppet president.

You see. American democracy makes a lot of sense.

Paco

Electoral Member
Jul 6, 2004
Re: RE: Polling in Iraq

moghrabi said:
Why the election. I can tell you who is going to win.

Karazai was an interim puppet president of Afghanistan. Now he is permanent puppet president. In Iraq, a CIA trained puppet is currently interim president. In January, he will be the permanent puppet president.

You see. American democracy makes a lot of sense.

And this is all inconsistent with the way of humans and history??

Every powerful nation in history have placed sympathetic people or organizations in position of authority where and when they can. So what’s your point?

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
You country is supposed to be the symbol of democracy. Are you now acknowledging the practice of dictatorships by putting friendly faces in important positions rather than have them elected?

Did Bush the father make sure that his son will be the next commander in chief?

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
You are not answering the question. Are you now acknowledging the practice of dictatorships by putting friendly faces in important positions rather than have them elected?

Paco

Electoral Member
Jul 6, 2004

moghrabi said:
You are not answering the question. Are you now acknowledging the practice of dictatorships by putting friendly faces in important positions rather than have them elected?

No. Do not put words in my mouth.

I am acknowledging that, "Every powerful nation in history have placed sympathetic people or organizations in position of authority where and when they can."

I am acknowledging that throughout history, this is what powerful nations have done to the less powerful.

Not in all instances did the populace live under "dictatorships." In many cases throughout history, the populace was treated better and enjoyed more freedom.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Like Pinochet's Chile or Guatemala or El Salvador or Iran or backing a coup against Hugo Chavez. Hey, overthrowing a democratically elected leader by backing a coup and installing a military dictatorship is a bit of an American tradition, isn't it?

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
I am not putting words in you mouth.

you said: "Every powerful nation" = US in history have placed sympathetic people (Karazi and Alway) in position of authority where and when they can.

So this is not a democracy you are spreading in these countries. You are picking and choosing whomever is willing to play your game.

So How am I putting words in your mouth?

Paco

Electoral Member
Jul 6, 2004

moghrabi said:
I am not putting words in you mouth.

you said: "Every powerful nation" = US in history have placed sympathetic people (Karazi and Alway) in position of authority where and when they can.

So this is not a democracy you are spreading in these countries. You are picking and choosing whomever is willing to play your game.

So How am I putting words in your mouth?

You asked if I acknowledged America's "practice" of placing dictators in power. You then used Bush senior as an example of placing the dictator (Bush jr) in power in America.

It was an obvious ploy. I don't have time for these games.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
The fact is that your country has a long history of installing puppet governments around the planet, Paco. There is no denying it. There is also no denying that it is an act of imperialism.

Imperialism, as we've seen throughout history, is not only wrong but has longlasting negative effects on both the dominator and the dominated. It degrades democracy and it undermines rights and freedoms.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Except South Korea and Japan of course Rev :wink: But imperialism, like the so-called "Scramble for Africa" in the 19th and 20th century, in which a bunch of European nations decided to split Africa up in several pieces, without caring about possible effects, is not something to be proud of.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
The scramble for Africa is directly responsible for many of the problems we see there today. It's also still going on if you consider the actions of western/northern nations for the resources that are there.

We are still seeing the scramble for South America as well...oil and minerals, minerals and oil.

That's the real threat that Bush sees in Hugo Chavez and his Bolivaran Revolution. There is a tradition of sporadic cooperation between South America, Cuba and Africa. That cooperation has largely failed because of a lack of leadership and meddling by the US and European countries. Chavez could be the leader that overcomes it. He resurrected OPEC pretty much single handedly, poor people love him, and he's charismatic as hell.

He scares the crap out of Bush.