NGO Act : Zimbabwe

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Zimbabwe: NGO Act is an outrageous attack on human rights
Press release, 10-12-2004

Amnesty International is outraged at the enactment, yesterday, of a new law, which bans foreign human rights organizations from working in Zimbabwe and could be used to close down local human rights groups. "The law is a direct attack on human rights in Zimbabwe and should be immediately repealed," Kolawole Olaniyan, Director of Amnesty International’s Africa Program, urged today, International Human Rights Day.

The Non-governmental Organizations Act (NGO Act) specifically targets organizations that "promote and protect human rights". The Act also gives the government sweeping powers to interfere with the operations of any NGO in Zimbabwe through a government-appointed NGO Council. Under the Act, Zimbabwean NGOs are prohibited from receiving any foreign funding to engage in human rights work.

"Preventing local NGOs from receiving foreign funding for human rights work would effectively mean the end of many vital human rights programs, as there is so little local funding available," Kolawole Olaniyan said. "This Act is a disaster for victims of human rights violations and human rights defenders. It is wholly inconsistent with Zimbabwe's obligations under international human rights laws to which it is party. We have grave fears that those organizations that have done most to raise awareness of the human rights situation in Zimbabwe will now be targeted for closure," he added.

Amnesty International believes that the legislation will be applied selectively, as has been the case with other repressive legislation introduced over the last four years. The Media Information Commission established by the 2002 Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act (AIPPA) has already overseen severe repression of independent media in Zimbabwe.

"If the NGO Act is enforced across the board, tens of thousands of people being assisted by NGO programs could suffer. Reputable and dedicated human rights organizations in Zimbabwe provide vital medical and psychological care and legal advice to victims of human rights violations. Most victims have nowhere else to turn in a country where unemployment is above 70 per cent and the health service has been severely eroded," Kolawole Olaniyan said.

The NGO Act replaces the Private Voluntary Organizations (PVO) Act, itself a very repressive law introduced during the colonial period. Amnesty International is calling for the immediate repeal of the NGO Act. Any legislation governing the operation of NGOs must be consistent with Zimbabwe's human rights obligations.

Background
On 9 December 2004 the Parliament of Zimbabwe also enacted the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission Act and the Criminal Law Codification and Reform Act, both of which also contain clauses that violate internationally recognized human rights.
source: Amnesty International

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Write your MP and demand that something be done. Aid and trade are the usual tools. Suggest that pressure be put on the international community as a whole, especially the US and France since they are most active in Africa.

Also sign up for Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
I don't know whether it would be a good idea to stop aid or trade. Zimbabwe is currently struggling with both food shortage as well as a raging HIV/AIDS epidemic. A boycot would only hurt the people, and it will have little effect on Mugabe; I even think that Mugabe can use a boycot by the West or the UN to "prove" his point that "we" are after Zimbabwe and its inhabitants.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Specific areas of trade can be targeted though, Rick. The catch is that for that approach to be effective it has to involve the world community as a whole. Little other than putting pressure on the Mugabe governent is available, unfortunately.

This is one of the areas where countries like Canada (and the Netherlands for that matter) can be helpful. We are not world powers and tend to have the trust of a lot of nations, so pushing for this sort of thing tends to run across the spectrum.

It's far from perfect, but it's pretty much all we've got.

It's good to hear that you're in Amnesty International through school, SJ. Maybe you can work through them to start a group of students to work on things like this.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Zimbabwe army 'moves onto the land

....Five years after Mr Mugabe ordered the seizure of the white-owned commercial farms, agricultural production has halved.

Mr Mugabe has admitted that the people to whom he gave some 4,000 farms have some responsibility for the country's current problems.

"Mugabe is now saying that the people who are on the farms are opposition supporters and that they are sabotaging the country. He says the army must take over," the major said.... more

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: NGO Act : Zimbabwe

Reverend Blair said:
Specific areas of trade can be targeted though, Rick. The catch is that for that approach to be effective it has to involve the world community as a whole. Little other than putting pressure on the Mugabe governent is available, unfortunately.

This is one of the areas where countries like Canada (and the Netherlands for that matter) can be helpful. We are not world powers and tend to have the trust of a lot of nations, so pushing for this sort of thing tends to run across the spectrum.

It's far from perfect, but it's pretty much all we've got.

It's good to hear that you're in Amnesty International through school, SJ. Maybe you can work through them to start a group of students to work on things like this.

Spare me.

The Liberals love Mugabe.

Chretien defended him and helped keep him in the Commonwealth.

I'm surprized he didn't offer him a job as personal advisor.

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's

Rick van Opbergen said:
I don't know whether it would be a good idea to stop aid or trade. Zimbabwe is currently struggling with both food shortage as well as a raging HIV/AIDS epidemic. A boycot would only hurt the people, and it will have little effect on Mugabe; I even think that Mugabe can use a boycot by the West or the UN to "prove" his point that "we" are after Zimbabwe and its inhabitants.

At the moment though, all the aid we send for the people to combat hunger and AIDS is grabbed up by Mugabe and his cronies, so it's a moot point. We send aid, they don't get anything, we stop it.. they still don't get anything.

The only way for Zimbabwe to get back on it's feet is to continue to put pressure on Mugabe through our Government, or wait for someone in his own country to knock him off.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Spare me.

:roll: Have you double checked your timeline Colp? Though not. You realize the support from the EEEvil liberals was before Mugabe started pulling his shit tricks and Fu<king up his people.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Jo Canadian said:
Spare me.

:roll: Have you double checked your timeline Colp? Though not. You realize the support from the EEEvil liberals was before Mugabe started pulling his shit tricks and Fu<king up his people.

Oh, so you don't consider throwing whites off their land, terrorizing, beating, murdering them, and destroying the country's ability to feed itself a "sh!t trick and Fu(king up his people"?

Chretien came to Mugabe's defense when the Commonwealth was considering condemning Mugabe for that.

God, Zimbabwe was better off under Ian Smith.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Colpy said:
Oh, so you don't consider throwing whites off their land, terrorizing, beating, murdering them, and destroying the country's ability to feed itself a "sh!t trick and Fu(king up his people"?
:x What the Fork is that supposed to mean? Just because I asked you to check the timeline doesn't make me endorse what has been done or make me a liberal...don't be a TOOL.

Colpy said:
Chretien came to Mugabe's defense when the Commonwealth was considering condemning Mugabe for that.
Since I never heard of that, I would love to read something like that but I haven't found anything. Besides you're throwing in Cretin + Support + Mugabe = Rah! Rah! Rah! All Liberal Bad! I have a feeling there's more to it, whatever amount of support there may have been wasn't very effective and certainly didn't last long.

June 8, 2000:
Mugabe tells an election rally that all white-owned farms can be seized and given to landless blacks.

June 24-25, 2000:
The ruling ZANU-PF is stunned as MDC wins 57 of the 120 seats up for grabs in parliamentary elections. ZANU-PF takes 62 seats and ZANU-N wins one. ZANU-PF and MDC are virtually tied in the popular vote.

May 11, 2001: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/1326034.stm
Ottawa cuts off development aid to Zimbabwe as a protest against Mugabe's tacit approval of the harassment of white farmers.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Funny you couldn't find anything, I found this in about 30 seconds:

from Macleans Magazine

Chrétien Stumble on Zimbabwe Policy

Printer Friendly Version
Chrétien Stumble on Zimbabwe Policy

In his first eight years as prime minister, Jean CHRÉTIEN didn't exactly dazzle when it came to foreign policy. But in 2002 all that was supposed to change: this would be the year he made his international mark. The vehicle for the Prime Minister's belated bid for world statesman status is a big initiative to boost aid for Africa at the G-8 summit at Kananaskis, Alta., in June. Apparently, though, nobody told Zimbabwe's thuggish president, Robert Mugabe, about the need to make sure Chrétien had a nice, smooth run-up to what will surely be his last turn to host the annual gathering of political leaders from the leading rich democracies.

Mugabe unleashed a campaign of violent intimidation at his political opponents before his country's elections last week. Deciding how to react was the first test of Chrétien's grasp of his new foreign-policy specialty. The outcome, at least initially, has hardly secured his reputation as a deft Africa hand. Not that Chrétien shied away from trying to influence the international reaction. At a meeting of Commonwealth heads of government in Australia just a few days before Zimbabweans went to the polls, Chrétien boasted that a "Canadian compromise" on what to do about Mugabe's misbehaviour had prevailed. The question is whether a more uncompromising stand - suspending Zimbabwe from the club of Britain and its former colonies - would have better served Canada's reputation as a moral player in world affairs.

Britain and Australia wanted to go that far, but African leaders at the Commonwealth meeting were against anything nearly so drastic. Canada suggested holding off until after the voting, and then deciding on the basis of what impartial observers reported. That wait-and-see approach was adopted, but critics, especially in Britain, felt the Commonwealth had shamefully missed a last chance to put real pressure on Mugabe before he stole the election. Even Prince Charles, in a rare political comment, was quoted as saying: "If the Commonwealth could not stand up for liberal democracy and human rights, it deserved to be treated with international contempt."

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Nice spin, Colpy. The truth is that Chretien tried for a compromise because, although the British and the Austrailians wanted to boot Zimbabwe out of the Commonwealth, the African nations did not. He was afraid that going ahead with the ban would have made things worse, so he came up with a compromise that sanctioned Mugabe without booting him out of the Commonwealth.

I don't agree with Chretien's position, I think that Canada could have gained the support of at least some of the African nations in removing Mugabe from the Commonwealth, but saying that he came to Mugabe's aid is incredibly misleading. He sought a compromise in order to bring sanctions against Mugabe.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Reverend Blair said:
Nice spin, Colpy. The truth is that Chretien tried for a compromise because, although the British and the Austrailians wanted to boot Zimbabwe out of the Commonwealth, the African nations did not. He was afraid that going ahead with the ban would have made things worse, so he came up with a compromise that sanctioned Mugabe without booting him out of the Commonwealth.

I don't agree with Chretien's position, I think that Canada could have gained the support of at least some of the African nations in removing Mugabe from the Commonwealth, but saying that he came to Mugabe's aid is incredibly misleading. He sought a compromise in order to bring sanctions against Mugabe.

That is correct.

I have no tolerance for murdering dictators.

Before you reply, remember Bush was elected.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Reverend Blair said:
So you dmit that you were being incredibly misleading with your statements? About time.

I do admit that I had thought Chretien's involvement with Mugabe was deeper than it appears it actually was. It was bad enough. I just remembered Chretien defending the SOB with a shrug. Bastard.

BTW, Rev, don't ever start acknowledging your own errors.....the net has only so much room. :)

Not that I'm worried about that ever happening.