A Year After Saddam's Capture, Iraq's Rebels Fight On

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
A Year After Saddam's Capture, Iraq's Rebels Fight On

By Luke Baker

Dec 12, 6:54 AM (ET)

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Much has changed in the year since a haggard-looking Saddam Hussein was pulled from a hole in the ground and taken into custody by jubilant U.S. troops.

In some ways it has changed for the worse.

President Bush hailed the capture as a breakthrough at the time, saying he expected his arch foe to be tried, convicted and put to death -- adding that would be up to the Iraqi courts.

"In the history of Iraq, a dark and painful era is over," Bush declared in a television address the day after the capture on Dec. 13. "A hopeful day has arrived. All Iraqis can now come together and reject violence and build a new Iraq."

But twice as many U.S. soldiers were killed by insurgents in the seven months after Saddam's capture than in the seven months before, and thousands of Iraqis have died. There are growing fears elections set for Jan. 30 could be derailed by the mayhem.

And Bush's hoped-for trial of Saddam appears no nearer to happening, despite repeated pledges from Iraqi officials.

It all looked rosier when Paul Bremer, then U.S. governor of Iraq, declared: "Ladies and Gentlemen, we got him!"

It was believed Saddam's capture would put a dampener on the insurgency, depriving it of a figurehead and financier.

"HUGE BLOW"

General John Abizaid, head of U.S. Central Command, said at the time Saddam's detention had dealt the insurgency "a huge psychological blow" that would "pay great benefits over time."

In the weeks that followed, evidence did seem to suggest the guerrillas may have been set back. Attacks on U.S. forces dropped to around 17 a day from as many as 50 before.

Commanders grew confident that they were making headway.

In January, Major General Ray Odierno, the commander of the 4th Infantry Division, whose troops got credit for snatching the "Ace of Spades," declared the insurgency to be "on its knees" and only a "sporadic threat."

"I believe within six months, I think you're going to see some normalcy," he told the Pentagon press corps. The confidence was infectious.

"Systematically we have captured or killed the individuals directing the insurgency," said Major General Charles Swannack, the commander of the 82nd Airborne, in March.

"... The insurgency is pretty much in disarray, I think is the best way to describe it."

He was responsible for the volatile western region of Iraq, including the cities of Falluja and Ramadi. A month after he spoke, Falluja fell into guerrilla hands and was only wrested back following a U.S. offensive last month. Fighting continues.

The insurgency has broadened and strengthened, attracting fresh recruits and finding new ways of striking U.S. troops and their Iraqi allies.

TRYING TO TRY SADDAM

Even in the capital, hardly a day has gone by without a car bomb or guerrilla attack. Some areas, including central Haifa Street, are insurgent strongholds.

Meanwhile, what has become of Saddam?

Iraqi officials said they thought he could be convicted and even executed by July. Saddam did appear in court that month and was informed of the general charges against him.

But since then little progress appears to have been made. The head of the special tribunal set up to try him, Salem Chalabi, has been replaced. Investigators are only beginning to sift through the evidence.

Interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi said in August he wanted proceedings sped up and said trials against Saddam and his senior henchmen should begin by the end of the year.

Officials at the special tribunal could not be reached for comment, but a U.S. embassy official said he would be urging Iraqi authorities to prepare a statement for the anniversary of Saddam's capture. It has been a long year.

http://reuters.myway.com//article/2..._L12429547_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-IRAQ-SADDAM-DC.html

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Why do americans call them insurgants? You cant blame the "insugants" for wanting to protect their country from invaders. Hell if Iraq had invaded America and the general population fought back they would be refered to as "heros" not insurgants.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
I respectfully disagree with you Rick. These people who are fighting understand the lies and motives of the US occupation and they are fighting to their death to kick them out. I heard from Iraqi friends here that whole families re being armed to the teeth to fight the US army. They see them as occupiers, wanting their wealth, changing their life styles and of course installing a puppet regime that will do as told by the White house. To all Iraqis, these fighters are heros. To americans they are terrorists. Go figure.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
I do not think you are a naive person Rick. You are very intelligent. It is called divide and conquer. They used it in Lebanon to divide Christians and Muslims. They failed terribly. Israel would bomb one side and say "look, the Muslims are killing you, you better defend yourself". They turn around and bomb the Muslims and accuse the Christians.

The same is happening in Iraq. The Iraqis are not killing the Shiites or the Christians. It is MADE IN THE USA.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Link me to some. I would love to read some eyewitness reports. However, In Iraq, the dollar has a lot of value. So a lot of people can witness anything you want when you show them the green which they need for survival.

Sorry for being questionable. I have lived through Sabra and Shatilla Massacres and I have seen eyewitnesses talking to the media and telling them exactly what the media paid the to say.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Good link. But the insurgents made it clear that anyone working with the occupying forces is a target.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
You have to know what the US is capable of doing to control this country. You have to look at the history of the US in other wars and conflicts. My opinion (and Only Mine) is based on how the US conducts its war.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
In the eyes of Iraqis, they are. Why not. Most of the people being recruited are Kurdish. They will kiss the feet of the americans because they were promised an autonomy from Iraq. The Kurdish people are the most hated in Iraq because they want t divide the country. They also have access to the largest oil fields that the US is dying to get.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
I always love to search for hte truth. If you want to see the truth, ask the US to leave and look how the insurgency stops and no more killing, no more bombs. If you can read Arabic, I can show you the truth where you can chat with real people right there in Iraq and they tell you what is really going on. But here we have to depend on the English version of things.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Re: RE: A Year After Saddam's Capture, Iraq's Rebels Fight O

Rick van Opbergen said:
What has to do with insurgents?

I was trying to tell you that most people dying at checkpoints applying for army jobs are Kurdish.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Kurdish Iraqis look, feel, smell like any other iraqi. When reporting, they do not say this was that and the other was that. However, chat with some Iraqis on MSN, you get the truth out f the horses mouth. I was in doubt at first questioning why in hell would they target fellow iraqis. But then I learned from tens of chatters that this is not how it is . We see as we are told to see it and hear about it.