Canada's Role in Iraq?

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Although I don't think the initial method of "liberating" Iraq was the best one, I do believe that other nations of the world, including Canada should get involved for the sake of the people of Iraq.

It is obvious that many nations don't like how the US is running the show in Iraq, so rather than just complain and hope the US changes its way, we should get involved.

I really don't see how other countries can tell the US how to operate its own soldiers. If we want our ideas and values to be used, we must back it up with peacekeepers / soldiers.

As good citizens of the world, we should lend a hand for the greater good of Iraqis, despite being opposed to the war.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Canada is helping to rebuild Afghanistan and we do have troops (not many) in Iraq.

Re: RE: Canada's Role in Iraq?

Twila said:
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/03/27/cdnsoldiers030327

An old article.........

My ex brother in law was shipped out to Iraq. Peacekeeping mind you, but still Iraq...........

Ahhh,yes. I knew that some Canadians on exchange with US forces were over there, but I had thought those units would have returned by now.

But, as the discussion in another post surround, units get extended all the time.

Thanks!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Canada's Role in Iraq

We should get involved only if the US agrees to do a few things.

1. They need to make it illegal for their corporation to make a profit in Iraq.

2. They need to put the operation, and US troops, under the auspices of the United Nations.

3. They need to pay reparations.

The United States was wrong to invade Iraq. They were wrong to change Iraqi laws to allow multi-national corporations to operate in the country basically free of charge. They are wrong to try to control who can and cannot run for office.

If Canada is to help the United States in Iraq it has to be under the understanding that the elections will indeed be free and transparent, that the US can no longer try to control the country, that the US is responsible for the damage that they have caused and that the help Canada provides is for the Iraqi people and not the United States.

ElPolaco

Electoral Member
Nov 5, 2004
Fruita, CO, Aztlan
www.spec-tra.com
In the meantime, Canada, like most other countries, should sit back and let the US pay for their imperialist mistakes. When someone steps in ___ , we usually stand back until they clean off both their shoes before getting close enough to shake their hand.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Canada's Role in Iraq

I don't think we should stand back at all, I think we should actively lobby for the conditions to be met so that the Iraqi people and people all over the world can see that we are trying to do the right thing.

Other countries, especially the European powers, should do the same.

It puts the ball firmly back in Bush's court so he cannot say that we weren't willing to help.

Paco

Electoral Member
Jul 6, 2004
7000 ft. asl and on full auto
Re: RE: Canada's Role in Iraq

Reverend Blair said:
We should get involved only if the US agrees to do a few things.

1. They need to make it illegal for their corporation to make a profit in Iraq.

2. They need to put the operation, and US troops, under the auspices of the United Nations.

3. They need to pay reparations.

1. Would corporations in other countries be allowed to profit? If so, why would you exclude the US?

2. If you pay any attention to US atitudes and thinking (and you do) then you know we would never agree to this. If Bush even hinted at this type of agreement he would be impeached by the American people.

3. Why?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
1. Would corporations in other countries be allowed to profit? If so, why would you exclude the US?

Possibly...foreign countries never started the war. I won't even get into the US laws against war profiteering. The reality is that an Iraqi government not controlled by the US government should make that decision.

2. If you pay any attention to US atitudes and thinking (and you do) then you know we would never agree to this. If Bush even hinted at this type of agreement he would be impeached by the American people.

Bush should be impeached anyway...it is your national duty to prosecute home-grown war criminals. Besides, he lied to the American people.

That's beside the point though. The reality is that the US acted and continues to act outside of international law. Until you are willing to conform to that law, helping you could well put us in the position of also being on the wrong side of the law. I don't care how much money you owe, you still aren't worth it.

Because you were the aggressors in an illegal war. The American right is always talking about taking responsibility. You invaded a sovereign state under false pretenses and did massive damage to the infrastructure. You killed a lot of innocent people either through malice or arrogant disregard for human life. You failed to protect the citizens and institutions such as hospitals from looters.
Here's your big chance to put your money where your mouth is. Take responsibility for what you did.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
moghrabi said:
Rick van Opbergen said:
Say that to our government ElPolaco :wink:

Do you have a lot of troops in Iraq, Rick?
About 1,100, the deathcount is 2. The majority of Dutch people is against the stay of Dutch troops in Iraq, and the two deaths have caused a lot of disturbance. Luckily the government has decided to withdraw the Dutch troops in march or may 2005, don't know it exactly.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
We all do. People have the feeling that we are putting "our men and women" in danger for a war which was wrong, and not even started by us. The majority of the people opposed the idea the government presented in 2003 to send Dutch troops to Iraq - but they didn't listen.

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
I believe Canada is in the Gulf and patrolling (stopping/boarding) ships and traffic. Actually, helping the U.S. with security. Perhaps even guarding the off-shore wells or whatever. But, Canada is in Iraq like a dirty shirt! Make no mistake about that.

Canadian Bullets, Dead Iraqis
By Chris Spannos
September 08, 2004
http://www.zmag.org/content/print_article.cfm?itemID=6188&sectionID=15

Sailors had to borrow ladders
November 11, 2004

Canadian sailors boarding ships in the Arabian Sea this year were forced to ask the crews of the suspicious vessels for help because they didn't have the right ladder for the job.

Documents obtained by the Halifax Daily News under the Access to Information Act show boarding parties from HMCS Toronto modified a ladder to climb three metres or more from an inflatable boat to the vessels they were searching.

"This worked in most cases, however, the unit was heavy and awkward and in some cases required assistance from the dhow crew to raise it into position," say navy documents.

"This compromised safety since dhow crewmen were required to be in the embarkation area instead of mustering forward."

The problems didn't end there during Operation Altair — Canada's contribution to the U.S.-led war on terrorism.

Even though temperatures usually ranged between 30C and 40C, navy rescue swimmers had to wear arctic wetsuits during boarding operations.

The frigate's dive team ordered thinner wetsuits before leaving Halifax, but because of a perceived lack of entitlement by the military supply department, it took almost 2 1/2 months for them to reach the ship.