Almost as good as Nostradamus.

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Anyone else got some choice political quotes?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Almost as good as Nos

Ya gotta love Mencken. He was a hard bastard and knew exactly where he stood. My favourite piece of his is an obituary he wrote for William Bryan. That's more applicable to Reagan than Bush II though.

I think this describes Bush pretty well:

One day it dawned on me that Bryan, after all, was an evangelical Christian only by sort of afterthought -- that his career in this world, and the glories thereof, had actually come to an end before he ever began whooping for Genesis. So I came to this conclusion: that what really moved him was a lust for revenge. The men of the cities had destroyed him and made a mock of him; now he would lead the yokels against them. Various facts clicked into the theory, and I hold it still. The hatred in the old man's burning eyes was not for the enemies of God; it was for the enemies of Bryan.

Thus he fought his last fight, eager only for blood. It quickly became frenzied and preposterous, and after that pathetic. All sense departed from him. He bit right and left, like a dog with rabies. He descended to demagogy so dreadful that his very associates blushed. His one yearning was to keep his yokels heated up -- to lead his forlorn mob against the foe.

A paragraph and a half or so. He had the number of Bryan and Bush though. They are pretty much the same pig....ignorant puritanical hypocrits after all.

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
Mencken IS good reading - I would have liked to see him born 50 years later - that would have made him in his 30's in the '60's - what a thing to contemplate.

He coulda made Abbie Hoffman look poorly-read......

LOL

Paco

Electoral Member
Jul 6, 2004
7000 ft. asl and on full auto
Ten Packs said:
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

If Mencken was referring to America, as Reverend Blair indicates, then Mencken shows his ignorance. America is a constitutional republic. It is not a democracy.

This is what America's founding fathers thought of democracies,

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch." -- Benjamin Franklin

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Almost as good as Nos

The US is based on democratic principles, Paco. Insisting that it is not by parsing words and presenting a single quote out of context does not change that.

Mencken is still known today. He's one of the few journalists of his time whose name is still remembered because he understood American politics so intimately.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
8O I wonder if that was actually written by him?????

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Paco said:
Ten Packs said:

If Mencken was referring to America, as Reverend Blair indicates, then Mencken shows his ignorance. America is a constitutional republic. It is not a democracy.

This is what America's founding fathers thought of democracies,

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch." -- Benjamin Franklin

so why has the US taken it upon itself to "spread democracy" in the ME .........and with WAR , while they are at it???

Don't think the US knows what it is anymore. It does not fall into any category yet defined. It claims one thing and acts the opposite. Will go with : the US is NOT a democracy. (kind of makes them look foolish trying to spread same.......in word at least)