Tell me it's just the web that is racist

Pat Bateman

Sep 12, 2004
out of space
Today I saw one more time the kind of stuff that I really hate: racism.
Not the kind of racism that is about the color of your skin (even if I find it as stupid), but the racism that is about the countrie were you just came from.

I was playing a multiplayers-video game called "zombie panic", where there is only a few server and so on those you can see people coming from all around the world. It was fine until someone started to talk via the microphone.
When another player realized that the accent comming out from this mic was an american one, he starded to insult him, telling that all the american were idiot , and that England was much better than America
Afterwards the few americans folk who where on the server fought back, saying english's women were as horrible that England sucks, or that English must be the american's slave... Until one of them said that England was even worst than France, and that only the Germany was worse because it was a country full of Nazis!
Then came in the flame an Australian who insulted both american and French. Also he said that the american's slave were not the english, but the canadian did. Wich has lied a Canadian dude to tell that Canada kicked ass, if you except the quebecois, because they are "the shame of the nation"...
:roll:

Of course this doesn't haven any sens, it's not because you came from USA that you are dumb, just look at an MIT student... it is not neither because you are german that you are a nazi asshole!

And what is making me sick is that I can see this kind of stupid conflict frequently on the net (I still have www.fuckfrance.com in my mind) ... and especially on the multiplayers games.

But I'm asking myself, is it for real? Is internet representative of the real wordl?
If I go in USA right now, will I get lynch because I'm French?
Perhaps yes, perhaps there the western world is really f*ck*d up.
But maybe it's just internet. Maybe if I see so many flames of this kind, it is because there is mostly 14-years old ignorant kids playing FPS, and we all know that the kiddies love to hate.
Maybe my eyes only see those who critic, and not those who respect...

But anyway the problem remain the same, why a part of us, a part of the human race, is so full of hate.
Why do we juste love to hate?
I'm just realizing our world could be so much better for everyone, but it won't. There will always be conflict, no one like it, but we still do it... We hate to feel the pain, but we still create the pain.
We don't want to die, but we just do everything that will lead us to it...

Reassure me, please reassure me, it's only me that is being paranoid right? The world ain't full of racism person, right?

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
RE: Tell me is just the web that is racist

Are they racist or ignorant? I think it's more ignorance which is causing people to say racist things or other politicially incorrect things. Sure there are lots of racists out there, but I do hope they are a small minority and nothing more.

Prometheus

Electoral Member
Jul 12, 2003
Eastern USA
Re: Tell me is just the web that is racist

I would have to say it is a little of both bevvyd. Especially in America, racism, both based on skin color and nationality, is an ever increasing problem. There have long been race issues in the USA, and the arrogance of the younger Americans seems to be increasing the problem.

Pat Bateman, the fact that you are French will cause some people in the USA to look down on you. This is mainly due to the fact that when Bush made the now famous speech which included "If you aren't with us, you are against us". Since the French and Germans chose to think for themselves and not follow blindly, it has created a backlash in the States against these nations. I remember people on the streets in New York dumping French wine into the gutters, and trying to rename French Fries Freedom Fries.

This doesn't mean that all American's feel this way. If you were to come to my home, you would be very welcome and we would discuss each others views on world events, politics, or whatever else you wanted to talk about. There are many open minded people still here, and from the Canadians I have met on this forum. I think it boils down to the type of people you encounter on the internet. RPG and online gaming attracts usually the younger groups, and although I won't generalize them either, most say things and argue points that they have no understanding about.
Just because someone knows how to plug in a modem doesn't mean they have any intelligence.

I see nothing wrong with national pride, but when you carry that pride to degrade someone of a different nationality, then it sickens me just as it does you.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
RE: Tell me is just the web that is racist

I've heard about the racism in the US. I've spoken with my outside salespeople and service personnel who all have said "yup it's still alive and well in the good ol US of A". I don't beleive for a moment that it is confined to just the USA. A few years back I wanted to go to South Carolina to catch a Nascar race in Birmingham, as hubby is first nations there was no way he would even consider going. I still hope that one day tolerance will squash racism.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Racism is universal, and that's a bad thing. It's not that the entire world is racist though - luckily not. However, as bevvyd said, ignorance is also a big "player" in this. What people don't know .... It's not like that is typically American or something. As a European, I know so many examples of racism on this side of the pond ... pfff!

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Pat, unfortunately the current administration indirectly and purposely enforces racist theories, atleast those against people of middle eastern descent. They also enforce political and national racism against countless countries, which includes France.

You can't stop racism if the world's economic power spreads these messages around the globe.

Note: This post is not American-bashing. Although I'm very sick of the Bush-Bashing (I hate him, though), it is another bush-bash :p

Pat Bateman

Sep 12, 2004
out of space
But it is so incomprehensible to me, I cannot understand how it is possible to argue somone on account of his nationality, and at the same time thinking that your the good person... :(

Maybe it's just because I am another Candide! :oops:

Hendrixismyidol

Nov 25, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The answer to your question is yes, xenophobia is rampent on the internet (and actually everywhere in society). People always have stupid pre-conceived notions about people who live in certain counties. The blissfully ignorant masses can always be counted on to make the rest of their country look bad by throwing out “labels” on others they know nothing about.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
I agree with you Hendrixismyidol. I watched some talk show years ago where they video conferenced with a talk show in Russia. It was sad some of the stereotyping that each had over the other. Russia asked if we see murders and robberies every day and the US asked if everyone drinks vodka and wears a sable hat there. It wasn't until later that each side expressed how their country deals with social issues or government policies that one got to see just how similar each was to each other.

I wish they would do that again. I think alot of people were enlightened.

Hendrixismyidol

Nov 25, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I saw something on Matt Good's blog that goes right along with what is being discussed in this thread. On the American radio show "Imus in the Morning" Don Imus and Sid Rosenberg had this enlightened conversation about the funeral of Yasser Arafat.

DON IMUS, host: They're [Palestinians] eating dirt and that fat pig wife [Suha Arafat] of his is living in Paris.

ROSENBERG: They're all brainwashed, though. That's what it is. And they're stupid to begin with, but they're brainwashed now. Stinking animals. They ought to drop the bomb right there, kill 'em all right now.

BERNARD MCGUIRK, producer: You can just imagine standing there.

ROSENBERG: Oh, the stench.

IMUS: Well, the problem is that we have Andrea [Mitchell, NBC News chief foreign affairs correspondent] there. We don't want anything to happen to her.

ROSENBERG: Oh, she's got to get out. Just warn Andrea, get out, and then drop the bomb, kill everybody.

MCGUIRK: It's like the worst Woodstock.

ROSENBERG: Look at this. Look at these animals. Animals!

Pat Bateman

Sep 12, 2004
out of space
Re: RE: Tell me it's just the web that is racist

Hendrixismyidol said:
I saw something on Matt Good's blog that goes right along with what is being discussed in this thread. On the American radio show "Imus in the Morning" Don Imus and Sid Rosenberg had this enlightened conversation about the funeral of Yasser Arafat.

DON IMUS, host: They're [Palestinians] eating dirt and that fat pig wife [Suha Arafat] of his is living in Paris.

ROSENBERG: They're all brainwashed, though. That's what it is. And they're stupid to begin with, but they're brainwashed now. Stinking animals. They ought to drop the bomb right there, kill 'em all right now.

BERNARD MCGUIRK, producer: You can just imagine standing there.

ROSENBERG: Oh, the stench.

IMUS: Well, the problem is that we have Andrea [Mitchell, NBC News chief foreign affairs correspondent] there. We don't want anything to happen to her.

ROSENBERG: Oh, she's got to get out. Just warn Andrea, get out, and then drop the bomb, kill everybody.

MCGUIRK: It's like the worst Woodstock.

ROSENBERG: Look at this. Look at these animals. Animals!

Are you sure it has really happened? It's so hardcore for a MSNBC show...

Pat Bateman

Sep 12, 2004
out of space
It's really creasy. 8O
I am surprise that the dude is making racial comment in front of thousand of hearer, above all he is not a beginner in the radio's environment. Couldn't he think it was a one way ticket to unemployment?
Afterall, everyone know that it is your freedom to think what ever the heck you want, but yet you cannot say it in front of everyone.

"They're all brainwashed, though. That's what it is. And they're stupid to begin with, but they're brainwashed now."
What an awkward sentence...

Hendrixismyidol

Nov 25, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Pat Bateman said:
It's really creasy. 8O
I am surprise that the dude is making racial comment in front of thousand of hearer, above all he is not a beginner in the radio's environment. Couldn't he think it was a one way ticket to unemployment?

Given the fact that the show wasn't pulled off the air as soon as such blatant hatred/ignorance hit the airway's show's that MSNBC shares a similar viewpoint. I know for a fact that if someone said anything close to that around here they'd be canned. A sports radio personality was fired here in Ottawa for suggessting (jokingly) that Tie Domi hit's his wife. Obviously that kind of comment is stupid in it's own right, but no where near the level of labelling an entire culture. I guess we just expect more from our media.