Video of Tanks at anti-war protest in LA

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
LOS ANGELES, November 9, 2004 - At 7:50 PM two armored tanks showed up at an anti-war protest in front of the federal building in Westwood. The tanks circled the block twice, the second time parking themselves in the street and directly in front of the area where most of the protesters were gathered. Enraged, some of the people attempted to block the tanks, but police quickly cleared the street. The people continued to protest the presence of the tanks, but about ten minutes the tanks drove off. It is unclear as to why the tanks were deployed to this location. Uploaded here is video from the event.

http://la.indymedia.org/news/2004/11/118865_comment.php#118868

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
I wouldn't compare it with what happened in China, although I do find it disturbing tanks are being ... wait a minute ... has anybody watched to video? Watching the video makes me think the tanks were not there because of the protesters, but more likely were on their way to something else. When the traffic lights went on green, they left it seems. Although I've read the article by moghrabi, the drivers of the tank were just watching the protesters for a while it seems, taking off their helmets, nothing more it seems. But that could just be me.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Video of Tanks at ant

I didn't get that at all. It looked to me very much like the tanks stopped to intimidate the protestors. Whether that was official or not, it seemed like what was going on.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Maybe. They should be, considering their asses are on the line in a war to ensure George Bush has gas for his SUV. I kind of doubt it though, or they would have been menacing the cops instead of the protestors.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Re: RE: Video of Tanks at ant

Reverend Blair said:
I kind of doubt it though, or they would have been menacing the cops instead of the protestors.

Yes but they would have to be subtle about it lest they be disciplined.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

No more subtle than they'd have to be if they were intimidating civilians.

Why are tanks driving around LA anyway?

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Re: RE: Video of Tanks at ant

Reverend Blair said:
There used to a military base in Winnipeg. I never saw any tracked vehicles rolling down the street.

That's because they were all in the repair depot. :D

In any case, they must have come from somewhere. I would think there are a number of armories in LA.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

It seems highly unusual to me. When w were out in Charleswood you would ...very, very occassionally...see military trucks larger than a pick-up (6x6's) on a backroad called Wilkes. It wasn't unusual to see all types of vehicles on the backs of semis.

I never saw on in Charleswood proper though, nevermind approaching downtown Winnipeg.