Fear and Loathing 2004

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Hunter S. Thompson has an article in Rolling Stone. He goes after Bush in true Thompson style. You can check out the whole column at http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/_/id/6562575?&rnd=1098394261180&has-player=true but here's an excerpt.

BULLETIN
KERRY WINS GONZO ENDORSMENT; DR. THOMPSON JOINS DEMOCRAT IN CALLING BUSH "THE SYPHILLIS PRESIDENT"
"Four more years of George Bush will be like four more years of syphilis," the famed author said yesterday at a hastily called press conference near his home in Woody Creek, Colorado. "Only a fool or a sucker would vote for a dangerous loser like Bush," Dr. Thompson warned. "He hates everything we stand for, and he knows we will vote against him in November."

Thompson, long known for the eerie accuracy of his political instincts, went on to denounce Ralph Nader as "a worthless Judas Goat with no moral compass."

"I endorsed John Kerry a long time ago," he said, "and I will do everything in my power, short of roaming the streets with a meat hammer, to help him be the next President of the United States."

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
My god it feels as though it must be my birthday. Thank you, Rev, for posting this. I am grabbing a cuppa, then I'm going to hunker down and savour every word of this gem.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Fear and Loathing 200

It's likely one of the best things he's written in years. He also predicts that Kerry will win. Thompson has a pretty fine record when it comes to picking who will win the White House.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: Fear and Loathing 200

Reverend Blair said:
It's likely one of the best things he's written in years. He also predicts that Kerry will win. Thompson has a pretty fine record when it comes to picking who will win the White House.

I am still reading it, having stopped part-way through for a quick lunch, and I am experiencing a euphoric and new-found feeling of optimism, because what you say is very true. This is the best thing I've read on the subject.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Re: RE: Fear and Loathing 200

Reverend Blair said:

Well it's good to see someone is predicting Kerry to win. I don't know if I should believe the polls as a biased source by the media or to just assume Americans come to their senses and vote Kerry.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

That's something about Thompson...he's a gambler and he bets to win. When he was actively campaigning against Nixon in 1972 he still bet on Nixon when it came down to making odds. He picked Jimmy Carter as president in 1976 before the primaries...before most people had even heard of Carter. He was right about Reagan, he was right about Bush I, and he was right about Clinton. He said the 2000 election was too close to call when most people were still giving Gore a landslide victory.

There is also the matter of the Freak Vote. Thompson almost became sherriff on that vote once and his endorsement carries a lot of weight in that constituency.

The Mad Dokter of Woody Creek has been slipping in recent years, but I hope his gambler's instincts are still intact.

It's far from a sure thing, but this is one more reason to have hope.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
You mean someone still reads Rolling Stone? I tried to recently, but gagged on all the crap that was obviously produced by the Hollywood Press Agent association,promoting the latest whoever-is-supposed-to-be-everywhere-this-month-because-we're-paid-to-do-it.

An embarrasing version of its former self, should be farmed out to the old folks' home.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Actually a lot of people still read Rolling Stone. Personally I'm with you on your appraisal of it, but every once in a while one of their old writers comes back and publishes something worthwhile.

I generally flip through it on the newstand looking to see if there's anything worth reading before I even consider buying it. I didn;t have to this thime though, Vive le Canada had a link up.