Satisfied with John Kerry?

Is John Kerry a solid candidate?

• Yes. He stands strong.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhat. He still remains unclear on some issues.

• No. He is confused and doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

• Total voters

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
After watching the third and final debate (hopefully all three), do you picture Kerry as an ideal President who stands strong on what he believes in an actually knows what he believes in?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
As for my answer.. I'm as satisfied as can be with an American political candidate from whichever side of the spectrum he/she is from. My expectations have never been high for political candidates on this side of the ocean.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Satisfied with John K

I don't think he's taken a good stance on trade at all. He doesn't seem to understand the importance of fair trade and will be all to willing to continue globalisation practices that harm everyone in the end. He may introduce some protectionist measures to protect US jobs, but that does not really address the entire issue.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
I am impressed with Kerry. He lacks momentum with the media, which is unfortunate. If he can get the newspapers and television stations fascinated with some heretofore undetected elusive and appealing aspect of him, they will, to a large degree, do the work for him. They constantly talk about Bush, but not as much Kerry.

I believe that Kerry will be a terrific president, a strong leader who does not 'flip-flop' but rather is strong enough to change his mind when a firmly-held belief proves to be a bad one. He also shows strength (although it is perceived as a weakness) by not adopting a false down-home folksy attitude in order to appease the apparent need of Americans to have a 'real person' as president. I like that about him.

I think Kerry will bring something good back into a nation that is hopelessly lost in a sea of Bush deception.

vista

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2004
www.newsgateway.ca
The agenda won't change if Kerry is elected - the board of directors run the show.

This is why the elite liberals are so pi**ed off with Bush - is he is so obnoxious about taking over the world. The democrats call it Progressive Internationalism - but it is the same result.

George Soros does it under the guise of his 'foundations'.

A comparison is a home invasion versus a burglar.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

He definitely did well during the debates. I would have liked to see him go after Bush a little more, but that clearly wasn;t part of the strategy.

I really think he is being built up too much by those who want to get rid of Bush though. I think that if he does win a lot of people, especially Canadians will become disillusioned rather quickly. While there is no doubt that he is far better than Bush, he is not all that he is being made out to be.

He will be forced to continue in Iraq because he cannot adopt Nader's exit strategy. He may even be forced to institute the draft he is going after Bush so hard on.

He will be a protectionist president. He's said as much during this campaign.

I think Kerry is being built into some sort of messiah because the dislike and fear of Bush is so palpable. If he does win the election there is now way he can live up to the unreasonable expectations that have been built up.

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
We need a president who has been to war. Someone who understands the full ramifications of what's involved. That is the relevence of Bush's National Guard service (or lack thereof).

I don't see Kerry being built up as any kind of saviour. It scares me that this race is so close. Bush could easily pull it off again. Even if he doesn't...his history on stealing an election that he didn't win precedes him. ( You can't run from your record either Mr. Bush)

I see the draft being inevitable from either candidate. I think Kerry will get us out quicker and will have more credibility in the international community. If he can persuade France, Russia and Germany to send in troops, we might see a quick resolution to the war. Bush may have destroyed all chance of that,but I'm hopeful.

As for the debates, Kerry seemed morepoised and knowledgable in all the debates. I think the second and third debates were close. I give them all to Kerry. I just hope the people down here see it that way.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
In the debates, Kerry struck me as consistently calm, poised and knowledgeable. Bush went from fidgety and cranky in the first to strange in the second and finally, almost giggly in the last. Talk about flip flopping!

The polls immediately after each debate showed Kerry as the winner, hands down, but in each case, after the GOP spinners finished weaving their webs, the polls showed pretty much a tie.

Somehow, it seems as though people are literally not seeing what is right there for them to see, that Bush is not only the wrong choice, but that something really strange is going on with him. I don't know what it is, but he sure acts weird a lot of the time these days, almost as though he is on something.

And what the hell, even the mainstream media had photos of him with a bump in his back that was perfectly rectangular - no conspiracy theory here, it was right there to see! - and yet nobody seems to be outraged by it... they are too busy being outraged by Kerry's mention of Cheney's lesbian daughter! Cheney is, too, even though he said, 'thank you for your kind words' at the time Kerry said it.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Bush's mental health (including possible medication) and the possibility that he's fallen off the wagon have been speculated on an awful lot lately. My feeling is that he never really was on the wagon (preyzel's anyone?) and he's always been nuts and that his drug and alcohol use have always been about self-medication.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
The question then, is why are these blatant issues being ignored while Kerry stumbles on a minor thing and gets daily slams for it? I am, to say the least, a bit at a loss to understand why.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

It has a lot to do with the absolute polarisation of the American people. That began before Bush, actually stretches back to at least Reagan, probably Lincoln, but Bush is the modern poster boy for it.

He is the personification of what the world hates about the US...swaggering, ignorant, arrogant, prone to bullying. A lot of Americans have seen this tendency in their country's policies before, and the results of those tendencies, so they oppose Bush...vehemently.

A lot of people around the world also recognise these tendencies, so they also oppose Bush. They know where this leads because we've been down this road so many times since 1980.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: Satisfied with John K

Reverend Blair said:
It has a lot to do with the absolute polarisation of the American people. That began before Bush, actually stretches back to at least Reagan, probably Lincoln, but Bush is the modern poster boy for it.

What you say is true, but still begs the question of why? If I may offer a screwy analogy: if I loved chocolate (ha ha 'if') I would be relatively tolerant of all things chocolate, with a blind eye to many of the downsides of it. Yet if a chunk of chocolate came my way that was too obviously wrong, was moldy and nasty-tasting, it would be, regardless of my love of chocolate, just too much to ignore.

I would spit it out.

So why is it that such large numbers of American citizens are not seeing the obviously moldy chocolate staring them right in the face? Why are they seemingly happy to have another FOUR BLOODY YEARS of moldy chocolate?

Why won't they just spit it out?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka

Haggis McBagpipe said:
Reverend Blair said:

What you say is true, but still begs the question of why? If I may offer a screwy analogy: if I loved chocolate (ha ha 'if') I would be relatively tolerant of all things chocolate, with a blind eye to many of the downsides of it. Yet if a chunk of chocolate came my way that was too obviously wrong, was moldy and nasty-tasting, it would be, regardless of my love of chocolate, just too much to ignore.

I would spit it out.

So why is it that such large numbers of American citizens are not seeing the obviously moldy chocolate staring them right in the face? Why are they seemingly happy to have another FOUR BLOODY YEARS of moldy chocolate?

Why won't they just spit it out?

To be honest, Haggis, I think you would have to dive deep into the mind of the average American person. They are fed such rubbish through the media (CNN, ABC, NBC, FOX) and all of the mistakes (as we see them) of the American administration are justified in the minds of the American people. It is the media which controls the minds, and they just don't realise it.

They don't see the president as a bad apple. If only more people watched Fahrenheit 9/11.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.

Andem said:
To be honest, Haggis, I think you would have to dive deep into the mind of the average American person. They are fed such rubbish through the media (CNN, ABC, NBC, FOX) and all of the mistakes (as we see them) of the American administration are justified in the minds of the American people. It is the media which controls the minds, and they just don't realise it.

They don't see the president as a bad apple. If only more people watched Fahrenheit 9/11.

Andem, the thing is, aren't we basically fed mostly the same rubbish (sans FOX)? You're right, though, they really don't see him as the bad guy. In fact, the gain Kerry had from the debates appears to be slipping.

Oh yes, if only the conservative right would watch Fahrenheit 911. Saddest thing that they won't. Even if they did, would they hear?

By the way BBC Online has a global poll happening where you can vote your choice, and post an opinion along with it. Hopefully, they won't send the results to American voters. :cool:

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
That's the thing...the media is afraid to take on a lot of issues,because they are afraid they will never get another interview and lawsuits. So we get crap for news down here. Then you get all the propaganda from both parties, which is less than informative. People have trouble discerning what is really happening.

The other influnce is that they are basically limited to two parties. Sure the Greens, Liberterians and Independents run, but they are virtually shut out of the mainstream media by the other two parties. Thus, they are of little consequence in the election.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: Satisfied with John Kerry?

zenfisher said:
That's the thing...the media is afraid to take on a lot of issues,because they are afraid they will never get another interview and lawsuits. So we get crap for news down here. Then you get all the propaganda from both parties, which is less than informative. People have trouble discerning what is really happening.

The other influnce is that they are basically limited to two parties. Sure the Greens, Liberterians and Independents run, but they are virtually shut out of the mainstream media by the other two parties. Thus, they are of little consequence in the election.

Yes, they barely make a blip on the radar screen.

Yes but if we are managing to sift through the media mulch for those tiny grains of truth, why aren't the Americans? When the media does report something downright scandalous about Bush, it seems not to register with most people south of the border. I'll be sitting here thinking, "Finally! Undeniably good stuff to make people question Bush!" then nada, no questioning happening.

The debates themselves are a prime example. I swear that Americans must have seen a whole different series of debates, ones in which the president performed adequately well, which I find strange because in the ones I saw, he performed like a trained monkey, and not a very well-trained monkey at that.

Then again, a whole different and wonderful thing could happen on election day. Could be that the people were listening all along, and will show this at the polls. Could be that the smart voters are just being quiet about it, which is understandable in the hostile environment down there where being left-leaning seems to be akin to being communist.

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
Its fear. people are afraid to turf a wartime President. Even if he was the one that started the war. That is what the American public forgets...he started this war. There was no covert action by Iraq. The US was not directly attacked by Iraq. In the past, you didn't vote out the President because he was defending the country. I only hope that the American public realize that this had nothing to do with terrorism. This was an invasion of a country, which goes against several treaties the US had signed.

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
Its fear. people are afraid to turf a wartime President. Even if he was the one that started the war. That is what the American public forgets...he started this war. There was no covert action by Iraq. The US was not directly attacked by Iraq. In the past, you didn't vote out the President because he was defending the country. I only hope that the American public realize that this had nothing to do with terrorism. This was an invasion of a country, which goes against several treaties the US had signed.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: Satisfied with John Kerry?

zenfisher said:

You're right on all accounts, and it appears that all the 'evidence' is for naught. That's the thing, I think there are just too many factors adding up to 'Four More Years!, any way you cut it.

If the people had wanted to hear what you have said above, they have had many opportunities to do so, even, to some degree, from mainstream media sources. I don't think it comes down to the media reporting, it comes down to some strange kind of resentment about being told these things... and that is why they won't listen.

US citizens are bound and determined, at all costs, to keep a closed eye to the facts, much like a mother who refuses to see that her sweet baby boy is a serial killer. Whereas the mother's refusal to see might be understandable, I cannot forgive the Americans for being the same way.

I wonder, when else has a president with so little to offer been so liked by so many?