Like Napoleon on Elba?

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
So, what should become of Saddam Hussein? Is it possible he could return to power, like Bonaparte returning from exile on the island of Elba?

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
He should be put on trial for his crimes and put in jail for the rest of his life. To say that he was a monster and undeserving of a fair trial because he never gave others a fair trial is to make us as bad as he is.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Agreed, Haggis.

Saddam will rot in jail for all his days, as he should.

Let the world be reminded of his evil for years to come.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
Right on. We will give him the benefit of the due process of law, because that's what we do. But, although he remains in the physical custody of the American occupation, he is now in the legal custody of the Iraqi government. One day, they will file a writ of habeas corpus. Then what? Any likely scenarios?

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Well, habeus corpus is an unlikely scenario-- he is after all in Iraqi legal custody.

Once he's charged, the threat of habeus corpus is for the most part, nullified. I don't know if there is a speedy trial provision in the Iraqi criminal law system, but I suspect HIS lawyers are in no rush for a trial.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
Yes, he's in Iraqi legal custody, but he remains in the physical custody of the American occupation. What's his status? If he is no longer a POW, then does any American judicial authority have jurisdiction over him? Yet, he remains in the physical custody of the U.S. martial authority. If he is to be arraigned before an Iraqi judge, they will need to have his carcass, summoned from The Twilight Zone 8O

Will his loyal followers try to free him?

Will his desperate enemies assassinate him to prevent his being freed?

Will they go into his cell one morning, and find that he is dead? Died while in the custody of the Americans, who--it is widely suspected--do not want there to be a trial, because of facts that might be revealed?

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Good questions, fro the most part.

If Saddam is in custody of the US with Iraqi blessings, so be it. They are in effect, agents of the Irqi government.

I read this morning the Iraqis will probably hold the trial in the prison, for security reasons. The proceedings will be televised.

In the end, I don't think the Americans want him dead as much as the Russians or French do. Lots of damning paperwork, I understand.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
I heard on the CBC radio yesterday that the american miltrary has done nothing to preserve any of the evidence againist saddam. They mentioned the mass grave sites, and how his loyalists disquise or try and hide alot of the evidence.

The war crimes tribual that is collecting evidence againist him was discussing this on the current. I think it should be up to the Iraq people on how he should be dealt with. He does appear to have more than 9 lives, I would not be surprised if we have not heard the last of him or his followers.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
researchok said:
If Saddam is in custody of the US with Iraqi blessings, so be it. They are in effect, agents of the Irqi government.

The U.S. authorities are agents of the Iraqi government? Isn't that rather a case of the tail wagging the dog?

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
American Voice said:
researchok said:

The U.S. authorities are agents of the Iraqi government? Isn't that rather a case of the tail wagging the dog?
heh, yea its the other way around. The Iraqi goverment are agents of the US.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Numure said:
American Voice said:
researchok said:

heh, yea its the other way around. The Iraqi goverment are agents of the US.

Good line.

I was referring to legal agents.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Are you implying that the Iraqis won't give him a fair trial-- and if so, who should try him?

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
researchok said:
Are you implying that the Iraqis won't give him a fair trial-- and if so, who should try him?

I think the majority of Iraqi's are biased in this. La Hague, should be the ones to put him a trial. Might take a few years, but justice will be done.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
peapod said:
I heard on the CBC radio yesterday that the american miltrary has done nothing to preserve any of the evidence againist saddam. They mentioned the mass grave sites, and how his loyalists disquise or try and hide alot of the evidence.

The war crimes tribual that is collecting evidence againist him was discussing this on the current. I think it should be up to the Iraq people on how he should be dealt with. He does appear to have more than 9 lives, I would not be surprised if we have not heard the last of him or his followers.

Can't say because I don't know-- but certainly the UN, for example has evidence and testimony from the Kurds, Shia, etc.

All that, in addition to the local population who can bear witness. Mass graves have a way of being effective testimony.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
If you go to www. cbc.ca, at the bottom of the page on the right hand side there is a very well done video called farah's war. It well worth watching.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
If you go to www. cbc.ca, at the bottom of the page on the right hand side there is a very well done video called farah's war. It well worth watching.