Iraq: Why Did The USA Want "Regime Change"?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
William Krystol, researchok? He's a PNAC man. He belongs to the very group that's been pushing for war with Iraq for years as part of a strategy of American domination of the world through economic and military power.

He has no credibility, he's a lunatic determined to run the world for the personal profit of him and his buddies.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Reverend Blair said:
William Krystol, researchok? He's a PNAC man. He belongs to the very group that's been pushing for war with Iraq for years as part of a strategy of American domination of the world through economic and military power.

He has no credibility, he's a lunatic determined to run the world for the personal profit of him and his buddies.

Good Morning!

No doubt Krystol is a hard core supporter of the war (not necessarily an idea shared by nyself) but his credentials are substantial.

His relevant bio is here:

http://www.annonline.com/interviews/970128/biography.html

http://www.state.gov/s/p/of/cal/23927.htm

I read your posts-- they are at times thought provoking.

I do have a question for you, though. Who on the right, right center, etc do you consider a 'worthy foil'?

I'm asking because I tend to be a right-centrist, and as such, I don't see politics as a zero sum game, that is, an all or nothing proposition. I'm guilty at times (flog me!) of viewing the left as a monolithic entity. As i said, I've read your posts, have disagreed on many issues and been intrigued by others.

From a personal standpoint, my 'left' hero was Patrick Moynihan, late senior Senator of New York. He was the most frustrating at times, liberal, true blue patriot in the US. I truly admired him.

While he had views that at times that drove me nuts, I respected the man like few others I have met. He truly influenced and moved me on more than one occasion to rethink and modify my positions on certain issues.

At any rate, I am curious. Who on the right, right center do you consider a worthy voice or 'foil' as I asked a moment ago?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I really haven't seen anybody of any real standing that was decent for a long, long time. The most recent Republican? Well, when Hunter Thompson called Bill Clinton the best Republican President the US ever had, I agreed with that. For people who actually belonged to the Republican Party I think you'd have to go all the way back to Rockefeller when he was challenging Nixon.

As Nixon came into power the GOP became a party of greed and hatred.

I don't have a lot of political heros, left or right. I said somewhere (on here ?) that politicians are just like everybody else. I meant that. The right and the centre right suffer very much from the fact that their members are drawn from the unimaginative classes. They are lawyers and bean-counters, people who understand money but are uncomfortable with people. As a result they think that government is about money. Government is about people, so the lawyers and bean counters start out wrong.

I do have respect for people like Patrick Buchanan and Ross Perot. I hate their ideas and what they stand for, but they aren't afraid to say what they stand for either.

In Canada? I have respect for Joe Clark. If he would have sold out his morals he could have been PM a lot longer. He refused to do that.

I respect Preston Manning. He's honest, at least. He has morals and scruples.

If you want me to embrace any of these people, good luck.

Two countries who knows how many parties, and I can come up with five people I might consider having a beer with, as long as they were buying and could find a bar I could smoke in.

A lot of that is because there is no common ground anymore. The right has moved so far right that they are almost alien to me and I can't recall them telling the whole truth about anything in the last twenty years or so.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Interesting.

Well, I'm with you on the 'beer and smoke' plan.

I'm fascinated by the names you mentioned. I'd never have guessed. Down here, you'd truly qualify as an 'idependant'.

As for Clinton, there's no doubt he 'reaganized' the Dems. I could cite chapter and verse, but obviously, I don't have to.

On a personal note, I had no problem with Clinton ( I actually liked the guy), politically or otherwise, with one exception. No, not Monica (what a red herring and wast of time!), but rather with Paula Jones, or rather, how he handled the matter, politically. He attempted to use his office to delay her a day in court-- which was outrageous.

OK, Buchanon, I can understand, but Perot? I mean, he run a govt using statistics as his giude. Statistics!

Joe Clark was in a no win situation. Post Trudeau, bad luck, a la Gerald Ford, luggage losing, tripping, non photogenic.

I think he actually distinguished himself in Gulf War 1. His speeches, positions and clarity hadn't been seen since Pearson. He's also not given enough credit for his foreign policy policies/instincts. I think he came along 5 years too early. I really was a moral guy.

Preston Manning too, like you, I respect. Not only for sticking to his guns, but because he did the impossible-- creatred a new party in English Canada. Lot more depth there than he's given credit for.

As for the right having moved far right, in soem circles, the same could be said for the left, Clinton notwithstanding.

I do believe though, that there is a more centrist (read: both sides of the political spectrum) majority than either side wants to admit to.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I know there is a centrist part of the spectrum. They aren't in politics though, or if they are they are jammed into the back benches. When you look at the voting figures, there they are....not voting.

Preston Manning and me have an odd relationship. Back when his party was forming, not even on the map yet, I got the crap kicked out of me at one of their meetings in Regina. One of my friends took umbrage at the racism of the head speaker. My friend had a french accent. It moved me a little farther left, so I guess that's good. I don't see the part of the party that beat us going anywhere though.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Can't comment on Manning, I'm too removed, save what I read in the papers (hardly the fountain of clear and concise info)

When you say the centrists aren't voting-- to whom are you referring?

Also, what the hell happened in Regina??? Did you LITERALLY get the crap kicked out you?? Theres a story there...