Bush names Pakistan 'major ally'

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
By Rob Watson
BBC correspondent, Washington

President George W Bush has upgraded relations with Pakistan by formally naming it as a major non-Nato ally.
The move was first announced by the US Secretary of State, Colin Powell, during a visit to Pakistan in March.

This is a reward - Washington's way of thanking Pakistan for its co-operation in the war against terrorism.

Pakistan now joins the small club of nations to enjoy the status of being what is known as a major non-Nato ally of the US.

Such status means Pakistan is now eligible for a series of benefits in the area of foreign aid and defence co-operation, including priority delivery of defence items.

Symbolic

But the symbolism is more important than the substance.

Only six years ago, Pakistan was under US sanctions after conducting nuclear tests.

Now it is in the same exclusive club as such close American friends as Israel and South Korea.

In a strange irony of timing though, the president's announcement of Pakistan's new status coincided with a report from the commission investigating the 11 September 2001 attacks which accused Islamabad of helping the Taleban to shelter Osama Bin Laden - but then that was before the US and Pakistan became friends again.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/south_asia/3814013.stm

Published: 2004/06/16 21:25:43 GMT

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
If youre worried about the world being destroyed, it isnt Bush you need to worry about.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
moghrabi said:
Now I want to ask your honest opinion. Who should we worry about?

Well, for one, Iran.

Former Iran pres Ali Rafsanjani said Iran should actually USE nuclear weapons, first, again Irans enemies. With the second latgest oil deposits in the world, Iran needs nuclear power like a fisg needs a bicycle.

Then you have the Al Quaeda and Hizbollah lunatics who said they want to USE bio chen weapons.

I realize they are a minority, but today, one person can do a lot of damage.

Then of course, theres China-- they still have the hots for Taiwan and North Korea, who are on the Iranian Lunatic Mullah plan.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
I, like you worry about these listed above. But shouldn't we worried about the foriegn policies of the US that is creating all these dangers. For every action there is an equeal and opposite reaction. All of these tyrannts came as a response to the forieghn policies of the US towards them and others.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
moghrabi said:
I, like you worry about these listed above. But shouldn't we worried about the foriegn policies of the US that is creating all these dangers. For every action there is an equeal and opposite reaction. All of these tyrannts came as a response to the forieghn policies of the US towards them and others.

Dont agree.

The Lunatics in iran and North Korea dont respond to reason.

Not to mention the blackmail elements.

Everytime they dont like something, theyll threaten to go nuclear?

MAD works.