Tax, Lies and Videotape

T. Rex

Nominee Member
Paul Martin says Canada can't afford lower taxes. In fact, he thinks they're downright un-Canadian. Today, he ridiculed the idea of tax relief for Canadians, and the concept of tax rates competitive with the United States.

But five years ago, he was all for lower taxes:

"Let me just say; I think taxes have got to come down. As fast as they can. If it can be done in one year, it should be done in one year; if it can be done in five years, do it in five." (Policy Options: Paul Martin on New Global Financial Architecture, Part 2, July-August 1999)

And just two years ago, Canadians tuned in the House of Commons as he pledged to make Canadian taxes lower than those in the United States. Let's roll the tapes:

"Our corporate taxes, in a couple of years, will be lower than the United States. Our capital gains taxes are now lower than the United States. Those are the kinds of policies that will lead to increased productivity." (House of Commons Debates, March 14, 2002)

T. Rex

Nominee Member
is that the kind of person you want to see in power for any longer? he is full of lies. Everything he says he contradicts himself soon afterward. Don't fall victim to more liberal policies that dont work for Canadians.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
would you rather we have a retarded monkey called stephen harper?

I too do not like paul martin, but hes worlds better then harper. And if I think the conservatives have a shot this election, ill be more then happy to change my vote for NDP to a vote for the liberals.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
T. Rex said:
Paul Martin says Canada can't afford lower taxes. In fact, he thinks they're downright un-Canadian. Today, he ridiculed the idea of tax relief for Canadians, and the concept of tax rates competitive with the United States.

But five years ago, he was all for lower taxes:

"Let me just say; I think taxes have got to come down. As fast as they can. If it can be done in one year, it should be done in one year; if it can be done in five years, do it in five." (Policy Options: Paul Martin on New Global Financial Architecture, Part 2, July-August 1999)

And just two years ago, Canadians tuned in the House of Commons as he pledged to make Canadian taxes lower than those in the United States. Let's roll the tapes:

"Our corporate taxes, in a couple of years, will be lower than the United States. Our capital gains taxes are now lower than the United States. Those are the kinds of policies that will lead to increased productivity." (House of Commons Debates, March 14, 2002)

So if taxes come down, what are they going to cut? Health Care? Education? Social Services? They don't have the money to cut taxes, keep services at current level, and lower the debt.