Climate change is certainly causing more powerful storms

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Normally, I don't cow tow to the climate change premonition script, but if it has Michael Mann in it, then it's credible.

From the moment a powerful blizzard hit the northeastern United States — only a few weeks after comfortable, spring-like weather — the questions about climate change’s impact have been asked.

According to leading scientists, we bear some responsibility for the storm, which covered much of the inland areas with up to two feet of snow. And President Donald Trump is definitely not helping matters.

“There is a connection between global warming and the increased frequency of heavy snowstorms,” said James Hansen, a professor of Earth and Environmental Sciences at Columbia University. “One factor is the increased amount of water vapor that the atmosphere holds in a warmer world.” In the late 1980s, Hansen testified that climate change — and the warming of the atmosphere — leads to “greater heat waves and stronger droughts” but more rain and floods in areas.

“The ‘100-year flood’ now occurs more often than once a century,” Hansen said.

Michael E. Mann, Director of the Earth System Science Center and Distinguished Professor of Meteorology at Penn State University, observed that the warming climate is actually causing more snow. “The oceans have been at record levels of warm the past two years (and climate change is a key contributor to that),” Mann said. “That record warmth means that there is more moisture in the atmosphere that is available both to help strengthen the storm and produce record snowfalls as the warm oceanic air is entrained in toward the eastern U.S. by the cyclonic winds of the storm. Climate model simulations indicate a likelihood for stronger, more snow-making storms, and that’s what we’re seeing.”

Climate change is certainly causing more powerful storms - Salon.com

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
More snow is what you get just before and during an ice age
;)
Oh yeah, you prognosticators don't do history - I forgot
everyone would spot you as frauds if you did

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Ugh. What I'm seeing is a return to the kind of winters we had prior to the '80s. Less cold, more snow. Bring it on, bytches.
Although it's also entirely possible that we're headed for a Heinrich Event.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
sounds like the kind of storm that cleans up after itself
the gals would love that

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Normally, I don't cow tow to the climate change premonition script, but if it has Michael Mann in it, then it's credible.

From the moment a powerful blizzard hit the northeastern United States — only a few weeks after comfortable, spring-like weather — the questions about climate change’s impact have been asked.

According to leading scientists, we bear some responsibility for the storm, which covered much of the inland areas with up to two feet of snow. And President Donald Trump is definitely not helping matters.

“There is a connection between global warming and the increased frequency of heavy snowstorms,” said James Hansen, a professor of Earth and Environmental Sciences at Columbia University. “One factor is the increased amount of water vapor that the atmosphere holds in a warmer world.” In the late 1980s, Hansen testified that climate change — and the warming of the atmosphere — leads to “greater heat waves and stronger droughts” but more rain and floods in areas.

“The ‘100-year flood’ now occurs more often than once a century,” Hansen said.

Michael E. Mann, Director of the Earth System Science Center and Distinguished Professor of Meteorology at Penn State University, observed that the warming climate is actually causing more snow. “The oceans have been at record levels of warm the past two years (and climate change is a key contributor to that),” Mann said. “That record warmth means that there is more moisture in the atmosphere that is available both to help strengthen the storm and produce record snowfalls as the warm oceanic air is entrained in toward the eastern U.S. by the cyclonic winds of the storm. Climate model simulations indicate a likelihood for stronger, more snow-making storms, and that’s what we’re seeing.”

Climate change is certainly causing more powerful storms - Salon.com

ROFLMAO. You swallowed the AGW bull$hit hook line and sinker so we know it is a lie.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Ugh. What I'm seeing is a return to the kind of winters we had prior to the '80s. Less cold, more snow. Bring it on, bytches.
Although it's also entirely possible that we're headed for a Heinrich Event.

I don't know where you lived, but here we had both more snow and more cold prior to the 1980s.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Climate deniers flock to climate change threads like atheists to religious threads. Just an observation.

They just pretend to be deniers.

The truth is that petros and Das actually agree with me and that's why they bump my threads.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
They just pretend to be deniers.

The truth is that petros and Das actually agree with me and that's why they bump my threads.
A good way to look at it. Personally, I think they lack the cognitive ability to understand the implications of climate change.