Brexit White Paper Reveals The Reason For Leaving The EU Isn’t True

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Brexit White Paper Reveals The Reason For Leaving The EU Isn’t True

Parliament has been sovereign the entire time we’ve been in the EU but it “hasn’t always felt like that,” according to the Government’s plan for restoring parliamentary sovereignty through Brexit.

Arguments for leaving the EU - from immigration to regulation - rested on the idea that EU membership eroded parliament’s sovereignty.

The day after MPs voted overwhelmingly to trigger Brexit, the Government published its much-anticipated 77-page White Paper on how we will leave the EU that bizarrely says: “Whilst parliament has remained sovereign throughout our membership of the EU, it has not always felt like that.”

The Guardian’s Jon Henley, the paper’s European affairs correspondent, explained the crucial points and what the paper adds to what the Government has already said.

He noted that it does not detail how it will preserve the open border between Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland, nor does it go beyond Theresa May’s speech last month on the Single Market, customs union and whether Britain will pay anything towards the EU budget post-Brexit.

As well as lacking detail, it contained at least one basic mistake.

Laurie Anstis, an immigration and employment lawyer, noted that one of the graphs seemed to think the UK employment law gives employees at least 14 weeks holiday a year.

Brexit White Paper Basically Reveals The Reason For Leaving The EU Isn't True | The Huffington Post

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's in the report. Don't be dim

The White Paper also states, wrongly, that UK employment law gives employees at least 14 weeks holiday a year.

Seems to me it's been written by gormless Remoaners.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The report says a lot of things. You should get somebody smart to read it to you and explain it

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The report says a lot of things. You should get somebody smart to read it to you and explain it

The Brexit White Paper runs to 77 pages and, I daresay, is hardly the most riveting read in the world. It's not exactly an Agatha Christie novel. I'll let you read it and extrapolate all the important details for me.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
It shouldn't matter anyway. Britain's entry into the EEC/EU was illegal. I honestly don't know why they have to go through all this rigamorol with referendums and votes. Prime Minister Heath unilaterally entered Britain into the EU without so much as a by your leave from the people.
This whole episode demonstrates that Remoaner bytches are truly anti-democracy. They don't seem to care that Britain's entry into the EU was about the most undemocratic thing a PM has done to the British people. But they DO have a problem with Britain leaving the EU through a wholly democratic process.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The Brexit White Paper runs to 77 pages and, I daresay, is hardly the most riveting read in the world. It's not exactly an Agatha Christie novel. I'll let you read it and extrapolate all the important details for me.

Among other things, it says you're stupid.