Trump: "I'll make Brexit a great thing."

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The UK is "doing great" following its vote to leave the EU, US President-elect Donald Trump has said.

In his first UK interview - with former Justice Secretary Michael Gove for The Times - Mr Trump said he thought the UK was "so smart in getting out".

Mr Trump promised a quick trade deal between the US and the UK after he takes office on Friday.

He also criticised "obsolete" Nato and German Chancellor Angela Merkel's immigration policies.

Mr Trump spoke to The Times and German newspaper Bild ahead of his inauguration on Friday.

Donald Trump says UK 'doing great' after Brexit vote

BBC News
16 January 2017

Donald Trump meets Tory MP and Leave campaigner Michael Gove Credit: TIMES NEWSPAPERS

The UK is "doing great" following its vote to leave the EU, US President-elect Donald Trump has said.

In his first UK interview - with former Justice Secretary Michael Gove for The Times - Mr Trump said he thought the UK was "so smart in getting out".

Mr Trump promised a quick trade deal between the US and the UK after he takes office on Friday.

He also criticised "obsolete" Nato and German Chancellor Angela Merkel's immigration policies.

Mr Trump spoke to The Times and German newspaper Bild ahead of his inauguration on Friday.

Outgoing US President Barack Obama said in April last year that the UK would be "at the back of the queue" if it quit the EU.

Mr Gove - a prominent Leave campaigner during last year's referendum - asked Mr Trump whether the UK was now "at the front of the queue" for a trade deal with the US following the Brexit vote.

"I think you're doing great," Mr Trump said. "I think it's going great."

"Trump said Brexit is going to happen, and it happened. Everybody thought I was crazy," the president-elect continued.

"Obama said, 'They'll go to the back of the line,' and then he had to retract his statement."

Mr Trump added: "Countries want their own identity and the UK wanted its own identity, but I do think if they hadn't been forced to take in all of the refugees then you wouldn't have a Brexit."

Preparations are under way in Washington for Friday's inauguration

On a potential US-UK trade deal, he said: "We're gonna work very hard to get it done quickly and done properly. Good for both sides."

Mr Gove told BBC Radio 4's Today programme the president-elect wanted a trade deal "signature-ready at the earliest possible opportunity".

Mr Gove, a columnist for the paper, added: "He stressed that he believed the European Union would potentially break up in the future and that other countries would leave. So in a sense he is both emotionally and financially invested in it."

Arriving at a summit in Brussels, Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said: "I think it's very good news that the United States of America wants to deal a good free trade deal with us and wants to do it very fast, and it's great to hear that from President-elect Donald Trump.

"Clearly it will have to be a deal that is very much in the interests of both sides, but I have no doubt that it will be."

In his interview, Mr Trump talked about the recent dip in the value of the pound. "The fact that your pound sterling has gone down?" he said. "Great, because business is unbelievable in a lot of parts in the UK, as you know. I think Brexit is going to end up being a great thing."

The president-elect's views came as Chancellor Philip Hammond said the UK may be forced to change its "economic model" if "closed off" from the European single market.

During The Times/Bild interview, held in Trump Tower, New York, the president-elect said he thought Mrs Merkel was the "by far the most important European leader".

"If you look at the European Union, it's Germany - it's basically a vehicle for Germany," he said.

Mr Trump said Mrs Merkel had made a "big mistake" by admitting more than one million migrants to the country.

"I think she made one very catastrophic mistake and that was taking all of these illegals, you know, taking all of the people from wherever they come from. And nobody even knows where they come from," he added.

Mr Trump also stressed that he would "start off trusting both Russian President Vladimir Putin and Mrs Merkel" on taking office, but would "see how long that lasts".

Talking about international security, Mr Trump argued that he had said "a long time ago that Nato had problems".

"One, that it was obsolete because it was designed many many years ago, and number two, that the countries weren't paying what they're supposed to pay."

Last November, Downing Street said Prime Minister Theresa May and Mr Trump had discussed the need for more countries to commit to spending 2% of national income on defence, when speaking on the telephone after the US election.

Mr Trump's comments on the UK and the EU come ahead of the launch of a cross-party campaign called Brexit Together.

It aims to bring together political voices from both sides of the referendum debate to develop a "shared vision" on immigration, the
economy and market access, security and sovereignty.

'Ceremony and beauty'

One of the campaign's founders, Labour MP Caroline Flint, said "a lot was said in both campaigns... that left the public feeling quite baffled at some of the rhetoric".

It was "absolutely right we should have a good trading relationship with the EU and, of course, getting a deal with the US would be a fantastic opportunity as well", she added.

A separate report, co-written by Boris Johnson's former economic adviser, Gerard Lyons, says membership of the single market has been a "major drawback" for the UK's service industries. It recommends a "clean Brexit", leaving this and the customs union.

Meanwhile, the man tipped to become Mr Trump's ambassador to the EU, has said the president-elect is committed to securing a trade deal with the UK and preliminary talks could begin ahead of its formal departure from the 28-nation bloc.

Theodore Malloch, a professor at Henley Business School in Reading, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "If you want to facilitate something it can be done in an expeditious manner, so I would hope on the day Britain triggers Article 50 Mrs May would be able to announce we have just started discussions with the United States."

In his Times/Bild interview, Mr Trump also discussed included his Scottish-born mother, saying: "She was so proud of the Queen. She loved the ceremony and the beauty, because nobody does that like the English, and she had great respect for the Queen and liked her.

"Any time the Queen was on television, for an event, my mother would be watching."

Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron dismissed Mr Gove's interview with Mr Trump as "a puff piece from a clearly admiring fan". He added: "I don't know the shape of the Europe that Trump dreams of, but I know it frightens me."

Donald Trump says UK 'doing great' after Brexit vote - BBC News

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
I think trump has the right idea
as to implimentation, we will have to wait and see

if it screws up pound killer George Soros and his communist pals, I am all for it

I think trump has the right idea
as to implementation, we will have to wait and see

if it screws up pound killer George Soros and his communist pals, I am all for it

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
So, Trump hates trade deals, but he's going to get one signed with the UK as quickly as possible.

Makes perfect sense.

Half-British Trump is a great lover of the United Kingdom - unlike Obama, who detests us.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
So, Trump hates trade deals, but he's going to get one signed with the UK as quickly as possible.

Makes perfect sense.

He never said he hates trade deals. Just expects them to be beneficial to the US. Also he is right about NATO having serious problems. It has become another bloated bureaucracy that doesn't really answer to anyone that foots the bills.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
He never said he hates trade deals. Just expects them to be beneficial to the US. Also he is right about NATO having serious problems. It has become another bloated bureaucracy that doesn't really answer to anyone that foots the bills.

The French have said they want to take over from the British as second-in-command of NATO, yet they spend less than the British on defence (and, unlike the British, they include spending on the police as part of their defence spending) and they do not meet NATO's requirements to spend at least 2% of GDP on defence, unlike the British. So this is something they are going to have to sort out if they want to take over from the British as No2 in NATO.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Some things I like about Trump. Isolationism is not necessarily a good thing, but it is preferable to the negative kind of involvement. And much US international involvement is of the negative kind.

Trump also proposed reaching a trade deal with Russia in exchange for significant reductions in nuclear arsenals on both sides. Again, not a bad idea.

The French have said they want to take over from the British as second-in-command of NATO, yet they spend less than the British on defence (and, unlike the British, they include spending on the police as part of their defence spending) and they do not meet NATO's requirements to spend at least 2% of GDP on defence, unlike the British. So this is something they are going to have to sort out if they want to take over from the British as No2 in NATO.

Canada doesn't meet the 2% requirement either. The US is stupid to be spending so much on the military. It should cut back to our level and so do the taxpayer a favour.

If we're lucky, Trump's anti-NAFTA tirade was just rhetoric.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Canada doesn't meet the 2% requirement either. The US is stupid to be spending so much on the military.

No, it isn't. The US, Britain, Greece and one other country (Poland, I think) meet the 2% target as obligated by NATO. Britain, too, looks likely to increase her defence spending in the near future. Britain's defence spending needs to be twice what it is now

The Canadians and all the others who fail to meet those 2% NATO targets are the stupid ones and have already angered Mr Trump who has said the French, Germans, Canadians etc need to start pulling their weight, start spending more on defence and stop being so dependent on the USA (and, to a lesser extent, Britain).

And then you've got the Republic of Ireland. Our much smaller next door neighbour spends the least on defence of all EU Member States. It has an army of 7,300 men; a navy of eight ships; and an air force of 24 planes - five of which are Cessnas, seven trainers, and none of which are fighters. The country maintains a bizarre neutrality stance and refuses to spend more than a pitiful amount on defence, yet is more than happy to be protected by the RAF. This is what Trump is angry about - countries using other countries' militaries as shields to hide behind rather than pulling their weight and beefing up their own militaries.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
No, it isn't. The US, Britain, Greece and one other country (Poland, I think) meet the 2% target as obligated by NATO. Britain, too, looks likely to increase her defence spending in the near future. Britain's defence spending needs to be twice what it is now

The Canadians and all the others who fail to meet those 2% NATO targets are the stupid ones and have already angered Mr Trump who has said the French, Germans, Canadians etc need to start pulling their weight, start spending more on defence and stop being so dependent on the USA (and, to a lesser extent, Britain).

And then you've got the Republic of Ireland. Our much smaller next door neighbour spends the least on defence of all EU Member States. It has an army of 7,300 men; a navy of eight ships; and an air force of 24 planes - five of which are Cessnas, seven trainers, and none of which are fighters. The country maintains a bizarre neutrality stance and refuses to spend more than a pitiful amount on defence, yet is more than happy to be protected by the RAF. This is what Trump is angry about - countries using other countries' militaries as shields to hide behind rather than pulling their weight and beefing up their own militaries.

So, you think blowing money on military spending is a great thing.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
So, you think blowing money on military spending is a great thing.

Yep. How can a country adequately defend itself with a handful of Cessnas and 7,000 poorly-armed, poorly-trained and permanently bewildered-looking soldiers?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
The Cromwellian conquest of Ireland or Cromwellian war in Ireland (1649–53) refers to the conquest of Ireland by the forces of the English Parliament, led by Oliver Cromwell, during the Wars of the Three Kingdoms. Cromwell invaded Ireland with his New Model Army on behalf of England's Rump Parliament in August 1649...

...The Parliamentarian reconquest of Ireland was brutal, and Cromwell is still a hated figure in Ireland.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromwellian_conquest_of_Ireland

just another colony
...and because I am irish and injun - metis, I hope everyone understands I have a real difficulty with colony making imperialism...
The idea that freedom is for some, and not for others sucks dik

Last edited:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
The Cromwellian conquest of Ireland or Cromwellian war in Ireland (1649–53) refers to the conquest of Ireland by the forces of the English Parliament, led by Oliver Cromwell, during the Wars of the Three Kingdoms. Cromwell invaded Ireland with his New Model Army on behalf of England's Rump Parliament in August 1649...

...The Parliamentarian reconquest of Ireland was brutal, and Cromwell is still a hated figure in Ireland.

just another colony
...and because I am irish and injun - metis, I hope everyone understands I have a real difficulty with colony making imperialism...
The idea that freedom is for some, and not for others sucks dik

Cromwell - he wasn't all that popular in England either, not surprising since he inflicted his narrow-minded Puritan ideology on the country. And the Scots had a saying for a couple of hundred years - "The curse o' Cromwell be upon ye." Old Oliver had a penchant for making people dislike him pretty much wherever he went.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
As I recall Britain was the last invader.

The Irish invaded Britain first.

And how did Britain (actually it was the Normans who kickstarted it) invade Ireland? Because Ireland was militarily weak, as it is now.

The Irish had it coming to them. They deserved everything they got.

Cromwell - he wasn't all that popular in England either, not surprising since he inflicted his narrow-minded Puritan ideology on the country. And the Scots had a saying for a couple of hundred years - "The curse o' Cromwell be upon ye." Old Oliver had a penchant for making people dislike him pretty much wherever he went.

And yet it was Cromwell who destroyed the tyranny and Absolute Monarchy of the (Scottish) Stuart monarchs and paved the way for the Constitutional Monarchy we have today.

As for Cromwell in Scotland, the Cromwellian regime provided good governance and peace to Scotland and offered the impoverished Scots political union with much richer England - a union which would become reality in 1707 and persists to this day, and which made impoverished Scotland wealthy.