Theresa May: Royal Navy will play 'important part' in protecting Britain after Brexit

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
THERESA MAY has declared that the Royal Navy will play a key role in forging Britain's future outside the EU.

On her first visit to a naval warship since taking over in Downing Street, the Prime Minister said the maritime force was vital for protecting the UK's interests overseas and building new diplomatic links.

She also wished Armed Forces personnel serving around the world a "peaceful Christmas."

The PM made her speech onboard helicopter carrier HMS Ocean off the coast of Bahrain.

Britain is establishing a permanent naval presence in the region in the form of HMS Juffair.

Theresa May says Royal Navy will play 'important part' in protecting Britain after Brexit

THERESA MAY has declared that the Royal Navy will play a key role in forging Britain's future outside the EU.

By Macer Hall in Bahrain
Tue, Dec 6, 2016
The Daily Express

Theresa May has declared the Royal Navy will play a key role in forging Britain's future

On her first visit to a naval warship since taking over in Downing Street, the Prime Minister said the maritime force was vital for protecting the UK's interests overseas and building new diplomatic links.

She also wished Armed Forces personnel serving around the world a "peaceful Christmas."

In 79F heat, Mrs May addressed 900 sailors and Royal Marines on the deck of amphibious helicopter carrier HMS Ocean.

The 20,700 tonne vessel, the navy's current biggest warship, was moored off Bahrain where it is joining allied patrols in the Gulf in the fight against Islamic extremists.

Standing beside Merlin helicopters and Jackal armoured vehicles, Mrs May said: "This a particularly special day because this is the first visit as Prime Minister on board a Royal Navy ship.

"You put yourselves on the line to keep our people safe and protect Britain's interests."

The Prime Minister wished Armed Forces personnel around the world a 'peaceful Christmas'

The PM spoke to 900 servicemen from 845 Naval Air Squadron, 662 Army Air Corps, 27 Squadron RAF and 42 Commando onboard the ship

She said the Navy was "known the world over for its professionalism, expertise and for the dedication and courage of sailors, Royal Marines and officers."

She said: "And I'm delighted to see and hear for myself the terrific work out here, where more than ever Gulf security is our security."

Mrs May went on: "As Britain steps up to forge a new, positive, confident role for our country on the global stage, the Royal Navy will play an important part in our vision - pursuing our objectives of security on land and on sea and helping to ensure the free flow of international trade."

She was speaking from the deck of HMS Ocean off the coast of Bahrain

And in a message to all the Armed Forces, she said: "The most important thing I have to say is a heart-felt thank you on behalf of our country for your service and your sacrifice.

"Your commitment to our country is unfaltering and in return we owe you the same deep commitment and unflinching support.

"I know many of you will be away from home this Christmas. I can only imagine how tough that must be and the difficulty of being separated at such a distance from loved ones.

Mrs May also thanked the Armed Forces for their sacrifice

Perhaps more at this time than any other, this time of year brings home the extraordinary sacrifices made by you and your families.

"So, on behalf of everyone at home, let me say once again a huge thank you.

"And, although it's still a little early particularly in this glorious sunshine, let me be one of the first to wish you a peaceful Christmas and a very happy New Year."

Ahead of the HMS Ocean speech, Mrs May said last night: “Through the construction of HMS Juffair, we are creating a permanent naval base in the region, the first such facility east of Suez since 1971.

“And we are also establishing a permanent British Army presence in the region through our regional land training hub in Oman.

“Indeed, there are more British warships, aircraft and personnel deployed on operations in the Gulf than in any other part of the world.

“That’s why we are investing in hard power there, with over £3 billion of defence over the next decade – spending more in the Gulf than in any other region of the world.”

Helicopter carrier HMS Ocean

Royal Navy to play important part protecting the UK after Brexit, says Prime Minister | Politics | News | Daily Express

Last edited:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It doesn't play an important part in protecting Britain now? Why did the silly Brittish build it in the first place?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It doesn't play an important part in protecting Britain now? Why did the silly Brittish build it in the first place?

She's talking about the future, after Britannia has left the rotten, undemocratic, corrupt, economically-declining EU, where a newly free, prosperous nation rebuilds her armed forces and forges her way out into the big, wide world once more, no longer held back by the nefarious, grasping tentacles of the EU kraken.

Brexit means Britain stands to become a true global superpower once more.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Yes, I think most people can accept that she was talking about the future when she referred to Brittain's future.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
She's talking about the future, after Britannia has left the rotten, undemocratic, corrupt, economically-declining EU, where a newly free, prosperous nation rebuilds her armed forces and forges her way out into the big, wide world once more, no longer held back by the nefarious, grasping tentacles of the EU kraken.

Brexit means Britain stands to become a true global superpower once more.

You gonna re-take India and suck her dry to pay for your military power, again? You don't have the income, any more . You are a spent power.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
An independent nation state demands a credible miltary defense, dedicated primarily to national sovereignty rather that 'alliances'.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
An independent nation state demands a credible miltary defense, dedicated primarily to national sovereignty rather that 'alliances'.

I agree. We need far more separation from the United States and we need a far more credible Armed Forces with which to state our independance.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Although the RAF will still be responsible for defending Irish airspace. The Irish Republic's Cessna just isn't up to the job.