"We need an English Parliament", says favourite to be new Ukip leader, Paul Nuttall

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
"We need an English Parliament", says favourite to be new Ukip leader, Paul Nuttall

Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish MPs should be booted out of the House of Commons to allow it to become an English Parliament, the frontrunner in the Ukip leadership race has said.

North West of England Ukip MEP Paul Nuttall says that under his leadership Ukip would also scrap the Barnett Formula which showers Scotland with extra cash for Nicola Sturgeon to spend on pet projects including promoting independence and breaking up Britain.

In a radical plan he wants Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish MPs to be removed from the Commons which would then deal with English devolved issues.

Instead he wants the House of Lords abolished and replaced with a second elected chamber for the whole of the UK.

'We need an English Parliament' Nuttall demands Scot MPs be booted out of House of Commons

SCOTTISH, Welsh and Northern Irish MPs should be booted out of the House of Commons to allow it to become an English Parliament, the frontrunner in the Ukip leadership race has said.

By David Maddox, Exclusive
Fri, Nov 25, 2016
The Telegraph

Paul Nuttall believes Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish MPs should be booted out of the House of Commons

North West of England Ukip MEP Paul Nuttall says that under his leadership Ukip would also scrap the Barnett Formula which showers Scotland with extra cash for Nicola Sturgeon to spend on pet projects including promoting independence and breaking up Britain.

In a radical plan he wants Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish MPs to be removed from the Commons which would then deal with English devolved issues.

Instead he wants the House of Lords abolished and replaced with a second elected chamber for the whole of the UK.

The new Senate would act as a revising chamber for the four national parliaments as well as the chamber which would deal with UK-wide issues such as defence, the Budget and foreign affairs.

The Prime Minister would then be elected in the new senate while the English Government in the Commons would be led by an English First Minister.

Mr Nuttall, 39, told the Daily Express: “I really feel very passionately that we need an English Parliament.

“The way devolution has been done is very unfair on the English and it is creating anger among many people in England.

“It is clearly wrong that Scots should vote on English only matters and it is time they were removed from the House of Commons which should become the English Parliament.”

Mr Nuttall wants the House of Commons (left) to become an English Parliament, with the House of Lords (right) to be abolished and transformed into the new UK Parliament

Mr Nuttall also wants to scrap the Barnett Formula, which is seen by many as unfair on English taxpayers

He said: “Clearly the unelected peers have had their day. The whole Brexit debate and the way they have tried to block it underlines that. These people have no democratic mandate.

“We need an elected chamber but we also need to get really radical. If the Commons becomes an English Parliament then the British Parliament should be the Lords or a Senate and that is where the Prime Minister should be.”

Mr Nuttall said he would also scrap extra cash for Sturgeon's pet projects

He also wants to use the new freedoms afforded by Brexit to consider new devolved powers on issues like VAT and corporation tax where Brussels prevented powers being passed down to regional assemblies.

He said: “I just think we should hand over maximum revenue raising powers to Scotland, get rid of the Barnett Formula and tell them to get on with funding their own services.

“That would put the SNP in a difficult spot if they actually had to take responsibility for spending levels.”

Mr Nuttall will also maintain the party’s commitment to proportional representation after Ukip’s 4 million votes in the 2015 general election only produced one MP.

He said: “It is clearly wrong that we got one seat for 4 million votes but the Lib Dems got eight times as many seats with just over half our votes and the Tories got a majority with just 36 per cent of the votes.

“We need a fairer system that properly reflects support for parties in our country.”

UKIP Paul Nuttall demands Scot MPs be booted out of House of Commons | Politics | News | Daily Express

Last edited:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Re: "We need an English Parliament", says favourite to be new Ukip leader, Paul Nutta

Well, that makes sense. That should narrow it down to about 5% of voters considering that most British voters have a little bit of Scottish, Irish, and Welsh ancestry. I suspect that if his plan was implemented it would lead to strong independence movements in all three regions, but I doubt that has occurred to simplistic thinkers like Mr. Nuttall.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Re: "We need an English Parliament", says favourite to be new Ukip leader, Paul Nutta

That should narrow it down to about 5% of voters considering that most British voters have a little bit of Scottish, Irish, and Welsh ancestry.

Of the approximately 65 million people in the UK, approximately 53 million - 82% - are English.

I suspect that if his plan was implemented it would lead to strong independence movements in all three regions, but I doubt that has occurred to simplistic thinkers like Mr. Nuttall.
So it's alright for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to each be given their own parliament or assembly in 1999 (with England, for some reason, completely forgotten about by the then Blair Administration), yet it's not okay to have fairness for England and for England's democratic deficit to be addressed by England having her own parliament, and we should continue to allow Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish MPs to vote on English-only matters even though English MPs are barred from voting on Scottish-only, Welsh-only and Northern Irish-only matters, due to the fact that Scotland has its own parliament and Wales and Northern Ireland each have their own assembly?

England is the largest nation in the world without her own parliament. The current situation is hugely unfair to the English people and it's time the matter was sorted.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016

Well with this Nutt ball being the leader of Ukip, I'm sure this announcement was eminent, no? Maybe it's what Scotland, N. Ireland and Wales needed to start the work of re-entering the EU.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Well with this Nutt ball being the leader of Ukip, I'm sure this announcement was eminent, no? Maybe it's what Scotland, N. Ireland and Wales needed to start the work of re-entering the EU.

Wales voted to leave.

As for Ukip, they got more voted in Wales in the 2015 General Election than Welsh nationalists Plaid Cymru: 204,330 for Ukip (finishing third) compared to 181,704 for Plaid Cymru (finishing fourth).

As for Scotland - the rest of the UK accounts for the vast majority of Scotland's trade. Something like 65% of Scottish exports go to the rest of the UK. From this, you can take the incontrovertible fact that the UK is a far more important union for Scotland than the EU.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton

Of the approximately 65 million people in the UK, approximately 53 million - 82% - are English.

Actually all so-called Englishmen have some Scots, Welsh, or Irish blood. It is a given considering that the three groups have been mingling for centuries. And then there is the addition of genetic material from other cultures, such as the various Viking invaders,

Here is a link explaining the genetic mixture that is now modern Britain. The secret history of Britain is written in our genes - Telegraph

In any case, as I mentioned, if neo-fascists like Nuttall want to give Scotland, Wales, and Ireland a good case for separation I can't think of a better way of doing it than denying them representation in Parliament. Britain's worldwide empire is gone; now it appears that some Brits are intent on returning England to the area it occupied before the Norman conquest.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Actually all so-called Englishmen have some Scots, Welsh, or Irish blood.

Not all of them.

And just because some English have Sweaty, Taff or Paddy or whatever blood in them in no way means that England is not entitled to her own parliament.

In any case, as I mentioned, if neo-fascists like Nuttall
Where's your evidence that Mr Nuttall is a neo-fascist?

want to give Scotland, Wales, and Ireland a good case for separation I can't think of a better way of doing it than denying them representation in Parliament.
He's not debying them representation in parliament. He wants - quite rightly - England to be given her own parliament and for Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish MPs to be banned from voting on English-only matters.

Britain's worldwide empire is gone
I know. It's rather unfortunate.

now it appears that some Brits are intent on returning England to the area it occupied before the Norman conquest.
Oh yeah. Back to the era when England had her own parliament: the Witanagemot. Bring back the Witanagemot!

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton

Not all of them.

And just because some English have Sweaty, Taff or Paddy or whatever blood in them in no way means that England is not entitled to her own parliament.

Where's your evidence that Mr Nuttall is a neo-fascist?

He's not debying them representation in parliament. He wants - quite rightly - England to be given her own parliament and for Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish MPs to be banned from voting on English-only matters.

I know. It's rather unfortunate.

Oh yeah. Back to the era when England had her own parliament: the Witanagemot. Bring back the Witanagemot!

I'll answer you in order.
England having it's own Parliament is fine if you want to live in England and not the UK. Remember it was England that brought Wales, Scotland, and Ireland into the empire, an arrangement that has worked out fairly well for all parties.

Nuttall as a neo-fascist. What other type of personality be so upset by ethnic minorities that he wants to exclude them from representation in the British Parliament?

You are splitting hairs - you can bet an English only parliament would run roughshod over the rights of the Scots, Welsh, and Irish; after all it would reduce opposition to such matters. Mind you I suspect the Scots, Welsh, and Irish would immediately move to separate from the UK.

I don't need to reply the the rest of your jingoistic comments.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

I'll answer you in order.

Oh. That's jolly nice of you.
England having it's own Parliament is fine if you want to live in England and not the UK.
I live in both England and the UK. And it's time England had her own parliament to address both the unfair situation the English people currently find themselves in and England's democratic deficit.

Remember it was England that brought Wales, Scotland, and Ireland into the empire, an arrangement that has worked out fairly well for all parties.
Scotland joined the union voluntarily and the first "English" forays into Ireland (which came AFTER Irish incursions and raids into mainland Britain, something Irish nationalists tend to conveniently ignore) were actually by England's Norman rulers, such as Strongbow, who wanted to annex Ireland into their empire which included Normandy and England.

The Protestant plantations in the north of Ireland which eventually led to full-blown British rule in Ireland and the troubles in Northern Ireland were all started by a SCOTSMAN - King James VI of Scotland, I of England. So the Scots are to blame for that.

Nuttall as a neo-fascist.
Give me stonewall proof of this.

What other type of personality be so upset by ethnic minorities that he wants to exclude them from representation in the British Parliament?
He doesn't want to exclude them from representation in the British Parliament. He merely wants to give England her own parliament to address both the unfair situation the English people currently find themselves in and England's democratic deficit.

In short, he wants to end the grossly unfair situation called the "West Lothian Question", in which Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish MPs are allowed to vote on English-only matters but English MPs are barred from voting on Scottish-only, Welsh-only and Northern Irish-only matters.

You are splitting hairs - you can bet an English only parliament would run roughshod over the rights of the Scots, Welsh, and Irish;
It would address the rights of the English people. The English people are fed up of their rights and their concerns being ignored by the British.

Mind you I suspect the Scots, Welsh, and Irish would immediately move to separate from the UK.
Bring it on. With both Brexit, and Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland breaking away, England would be immeasurably richer, with English taxpayers no longer having to fund their feckless, subsidy-junky British Isles and Continental neighbours with lavish subsidies.

I don't need to reply the the rest of your jingoistic comments.
Oh dear. That's a shame.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton

Oh. That's jolly nice of you.
I live in both England and the UK. And it's time England had her own parliament to address both the unfair situation the English people currently find themselves in and England's democratic deficit.

Scotland joined the union voluntarily and the first "English" forays into Ireland (which came AFTER Irish incursions and raids into mainland Britain, something Irish nationalists tend to conveniently ignore) were actually by England's Norman rulers, such as Strongbow, who wanted to annex Ireland into their empire which included Normandy and England.

The Protestant plantations in the north of Ireland which eventually led to full-blown British rule in Ireland and the troubles in Northern Ireland were all started by a SCOTSMAN - King James VI of Scotland, I of England. So the Scots are to blame for that.

Give me stonewall proof of this.

He doesn't want to exclude them from representation in the British Parliament. He merely wants to give England her own parliament to address both the unfair situation the English people currently find themselves in and England's democratic deficit.

In short, he wants to end the grossly unfair situation called the "West Lothian Question", in which Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish MPs are allowed to vote on English-only matters but English MPs are barred from voting on Scottish-only, Welsh-only and Northern Irish-only matters.

It would address the rights of the English people. The English people are fed up of their rights and their concerns being ignored by the British.

Bring it on. With both Brexit, and Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland breaking away, England would be immeasurably richer, with English taxpayers no longer having to fund their feckless, subsidy-junky British Isles and Continental neighbours with lavish subsidies.

Oh dear. That's a shame.

Right - nations always become stronger when they get smaller. Maybe you should check with the Russians to see how losing large chunks of their population and territory have affected their international standing and economy. As a nation Britain seems to be working very hard to make itself irrelevant and given attitudes of citizens like you that is probably a good thing.