China is at the forefront of manipulating DNA to create a new class of superhumans

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Trump needs to surprise attack before it's too late!

China is at the forefront of manipulating DNA to create a new class of superhumans

Would you want to alter your future children’s genes to make them smarter, stronger, or better looking? As the state of science brings prospects like these closer to reality, an international debate has been raging over the ethics of enhancing human capacities with biotechnologies such as so-called smart pills, brain implants, and gene editing. This discussion has only intensified in the past year with the advent of the CRISPR-cas9 gene editing tool, which raises the specter of tinkering with our DNA to improve traits like intelligence, athleticism, and even moral reasoning.

So are we on the brink of a brave new world of genetically enhanced humanity? Perhaps. And there’s an interesting wrinkle: It’s reasonable to believe that any seismic shift toward genetic enhancement will not be centered in Western countries like the US or the UK, where many modern technologies are pioneered. Instead, genetic enhancement is more likely to emerge out of China.

Indeed, if we set ethical and safety objections aside, genetic enhancement has the potential to bring about significant national advantages. Even marginal increases in intelligence via gene editing could have significant effects on a nation’s economic growth. Certain genes could give some athletes an edge in intense international competitions. Other genes may have an effect on violent tendencies, suggesting genetic engineering could reduce crime rates.

The future of genetic enhancement is in China and India — Quartz

Last edited:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Would you want to alter your future children’s genes to make them smarter, stronger, or better looking?

Since I'm already giving my future kids my DNA, they'll already be smarter, stronger and better looking. I'm sure this would be something the likes of some of our other members may want to look into.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
the elites tried interbreeding years ago and wound up with cannuck