Burkini designer says French bans have boosted sales - to non-Muslims

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Nice!

Petros, when are you getting yours?

Recent bans on wearing the burkini in France have boosted sales around the world, especially to non-Muslim women, according to the designer of the full-body swimsuit.

Aheda Zanetti, a Lebanese-Australian who is credited with creating the light-weight two-piece swimsuit, said a series of bans across 23 towns in south-east France had led to a surge in interest.

The potential buyers are mostly non-Muslims, including cancer sufferers and women who prefer to be fully covered at the beach.

“It’s just been so hectic,” she said. “I can tell you that online on Sunday, we received 60 orders – all of them non-Muslim.”

Ms Zanetti, 48, said that she typically received about ten to twelve orders on a Sunday.

She said she had sold an estimated 700,000 of the garments since 2008, including customers who were “Jews, Hindus, Christians, Mormons, women with various body issues”.

Since the French bans, Ms Zanetti said, she has received a flood of emails supporting her design.

“A lot of the correspondence ... was that they are survivors of skin cancer and they’ve always been looking for something like this,” she said.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
they cut a rather gender neutard androgynous silhouette though
I just suddenly had a disturbing vision of a future of "led by the nose fashion trendiness"
brought to you by the politically correct psy-op folks down at the local "social justice" think tank

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
The potential buyers are mostly non-Muslims, including cancer sufferers
So skin cancer, which is extremely curable anyway.
and women who prefer to be fully covered at the beach.
Really? So sitting in the sun, on hot sand, with the light bouncing off the water while completely covered is their idea of a fun time? And of course nothing enhances the joy of swimming like having sleeves and leggings restricting your movement in the water.

Gosh, they sound like so much fun to wear at the beach I might order one.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
religious fanaticism is what it is
funniest part of it is them that points fingers without looking in the mirrors

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
I'm metis
xenophopia is a touchy subject on the native side
YT don't integrate too good

and if legal immigration is xenophobia...
somebody is playing stinky word games

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
I never said you were a xenophobe.
oh, my pardon, I wasn't implying you did
I was refering to the current native attitude towards integrating immigrants based on past experience

Trump has stated he supports legal immigration as have many recent legal immigrants
who do support Trump

look at how the forced and illegal immigration issue has played out in the EU,
which is just a wanna be US of A:
pretty much complete destruction if some pundits are to be beleived

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Toppers and flab, baby! It's what made the Empire great!

Of course our Real Americans and Old Stock Canadians are perfectly OK with that, and want to outlaw this. . .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Toppers and flab, baby! It's what made the Empire great!

Of course our Real Americans and Old Stock Canadians are perfectly OK with that, and want to outlaw this. . .

Already illegal to wear in France.

If you want to see hot muzzie women in bikinis go to Dubai or Beirut.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Already illegal to wear in France.

If you want to see hot muzzie women in bikinis go to Dubai or Beirut.
You can see hot Muzzie women in bikinis (or less) in France, Germany, the U.S., or Canada.

As always, your problem is overgeneralization and snivelling cowardice.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yes, yes you can but the Burkini is illegal in France.

How coward of me to point that out to the small town pizza lawyer.

No irony at all huh?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Yes, yes you can but the Burkini is illegal in France.

How coward of me to point that out to the small town pizza lawyer.
Oh dear, I'm cut to the quick by the repeated insults from a farmer in Saskatchewan who fancies himself clever.

Are you OCD or just not smart enough to come up with anything new?

By the way, thanks for the advice on getting a 30.06. I'm considering a BAR.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Nice!

Petros, when are you getting yours?

Recent bans on wearing the burkini in France have boosted sales around the world, especially to non-Muslim women, according to the designer of the full-body swimsuit.

Aheda Zanetti, a Lebanese-Australian who is credited with creating the light-weight two-piece swimsuit, said a series of bans across 23 towns in south-east France had led to a surge in interest.

The potential buyers are mostly non-Muslims, including cancer sufferers and women who prefer to be fully covered at the beach.

“It’s just been so hectic,” she said. “I can tell you that online on Sunday, we received 60 orders – all of them non-Muslim.”

Ms Zanetti, 48, said that she typically received about ten to twelve orders on a Sunday.

She said she had sold an estimated 700,000 of the garments since 2008, including customers who were “Jews, Hindus, Christians, Mormons, women with various body issues”.

Since the French bans, Ms Zanetti said, she has received a flood of emails supporting her design.

“A lot of the correspondence ... was that they are survivors of skin cancer and they’ve always been looking for something like this,” she said.

1. How does she know they are non-Muslim? Does she ask?

2. Even if she can confirm the religion of her customers, non-Muslim interest does not surprise me. It can have to do with UV protection, cultural as opposed to religious modesty, or esthetic coverage of a scar, tattoo, discolouration, etc.

Though I'm sure sunscreen companies won't be happy about this! They're all thanking France and paying off french politicians and lobbying Quebec and paying off Quebec politicians as we speak.

The next sunscreen ad: "A little UV does the body good!"