The Svalbard Treaty.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Treaty

I like the idea. The Treaty limits Svalbard's powers of taxation, migration, and trading powers. Anyone in the world can go there visa-free, work there, and do business there.

I don't remember ever reading about a single terrorist incident there either. In fact, states with visa restrictions have suffered far more attacks! And surprise surprise, it turns out Canada is a member of the Treaty too.

The only problem I can see is that Svalbard is a little far from where I live. Couldn't a Canadian location adopt a similar policy, like the Island of Montreal maybe?

First time I've read about the Svalbard Treaty.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I,m going to check that out Machjo, sounds great to me, it dosn't sound warm.

Facinating read.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I,m going to check that out Machjo, sounds great to me, it dosn't sound warm.

Facinating read.

Yeah, it's Arctic climate could be a turn off for some.

Svalbard: We welcome you visa-free to visit, work or do business as you like!

Tourist: And freeze my butt off? I'll go through the hassle to visit the Caribbean, thanks you very much.

Heck, every state should have a visa-free zone. I pick the Island of Montreal for Canada. Next choice for me would be the GTA.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
One problem with Svalbard is that not all states have direct flights to there, so one might still need a transit visa through another state.

Also, it's not welcoming of all refugees. You can be removed for two reasons:

1. Lacking the means to support yourself, and

2. Violatingany of Svalbard's laws. So unless a refugee can support himself, he'll need to find somewhere else to apply for refuge.

Still one could visit in the summer mounths and then go to the Cuban highlands for winter. T

I don't want to work, just hide for awhile some day soon.

True enough. Now that I think about it, Svalbard might not work out too well as an independent state. As a part of Norway, an unemployed person can be sent back to the Norwegian mainland and a dependent foreign national deported, effectively making it welcoming as long as you can support yourself or you're out.

As an independent state, it would have no choice but to raise taxes to support its citizens since it couldn't just kick them out. Si I take it government welfare rates are probably zero there.

But having a visa-free economic zone as part of a larger state could be beneficial for workers and businessmen looking for lower taxes, open borders, and free trade in the truest sense in the word.

Though the NDP would gate the idea. They'd see it as just tax evasion.

However, there is a progressive element to it too in its openness.

Some conservatives might hate the idea for all the furriners.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I 'm always employed.

Norweigin eating is double plus good, fish grease in everything and real salt.

The women are beautiful each and everyone . Great place for six months then you must follow the sun or transpire on a Svalbard beach begging for rays.