UK's oldest hand-written document 'at Roman London dig'

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Roman tablets discovered during an excavation in London include the oldest hand-written document ever found in Britain, archaeologists have revealed.

The Museum of London Archaeology (MOLA) said it had deciphered a document, from 8 January AD 57, found at the dig at Bloomberg's new headquarters.

The first ever reference to London, financial documents and evidence of schooling have also been translated.

Over 700 artefacts from the dig will go on display when the building opens.

UK's oldest hand-written document 'at Roman London dig'

BBC News
1st June 2016

Over 400 tablets were found at the site, 87 of which have been deciphered MOLA

Roman tablets discovered during an excavation in London include the oldest hand-written document ever found in Britain, archaeologists have revealed.

The Museum of London Archaeology (MOLA) said it had deciphered a document, from 8 January AD 57, found at the dig at Bloomberg's new headquarters.

The first ever reference to London, financial documents and evidence of schooling have also been translated.

Over 700 artefacts from the dig will go on display when the building opens.

According to MOLA, the tablets reveal the first years of the capital "in the words of the people who lived, worked, traded with and administered the new city".

Director Sophie Jackson said the findings had "far exceeded all expectations" and would allow archaeologists "to get closer to the first Roman Britons".

Timber buildings and Roman streets were found during the excavation at the three-acre site MOLA

Bloomberg's new European headquarters are being built at the site

The documents were written on wooden tablets which would have been covered in blackened beeswax.

Although the wax has not survived, the words were etched into the wood below using styluses.

The area is around the buried Walbrook River and objects were trapped in soaking mud which helped to preserve the wood.

The tablets were preserved in mud which stopped oxygen from decaying them MOLA

Once excavated, the tablets were kept in water, then cleaned and freeze-dried.

Dr Roger Tomlin, who translated the documents, said it had been "a privilege to eavesdrop" on the people of Roman London.

The London Mithraeum exhibition will open at the site in autumn 2017.

The documents were deciphered using photography with raking light and microscopic analysis MOLA

Earliest reference to London

MOLA

Researchers believe this tablet is the earliest ever reference to London, predating Tacitus' mention of London in his Annals which were produced about 50 years later.

Dated AD 65/70-80, it reads "Londinio Mogontio", which translates to "In London, to Mogontius".

Earliest readable tablet

MOLA

This tablet was found in a layer dated by MOLA to AD 43-53 so is thought to have been from the Romans' first decade of rule.

In translation it reads "...because they are boasting through the whole market that you have lent them money. Therefore I ask you in your own interest not to appear shabby... you will not thus favour your own affairs...."

Evidence of schooling

MOLA

The letters on this tablet are part of the alphabet: "ABCDIIFGHIKLMNOPQRST".

Archaeologists believe it is writing practice, or a demonstration of literacy or letterforms, and possibly the first evidence of Roman schooling found in Britain.

Earliest dated document from Roman Britain

MOLA

This tablet reads: " In the consulship of Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus for the second time and of Lucius Calpurnius Piso, on the 6th day before the Ides of January (8 January AD 57). I, Tibullus, the freedman of Venustus, have written and say that I owe Gratus, the freedman of Spurius, 105 denarii from the price of the merchandise which has been sold and delivered. This money I am due to repay him or the person whom the matter will concern..."

According to MOLA, it is the earliest intrinsically-dated document ever found in the UK, and is a financial document written on 8 January AD 57.

UK's oldest hand-written document 'at Roman London dig' - BBC News

Last edited:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
What's this doing in the International Politics section?

I don't know dude but I see you performed 10 different edits yesterday on the original OP.

Perhaps you fukked-up.

At any rate, implying that some power that be has jiggled your benign little thread for some nefarious reason is reason enough for you to check your meds.

Perhaps the way to have gone about it would be to ask one of the moderators to move your sh!tty post into whatever sub forum you figure it might belong to.

Have a nice day.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I don't know dude but I see you performed 10 different edits yesterday on the original OP.

Perhaps you fukked-up.

It was because of all the spelling and grammar mistakes that I spotted in the original Mail article. I had to correct them all like I usually do. The standard of British journalism has gone seriously downhill in recent years.

At any rate, implying that some power that be has jiggled your benign little thread for some nefarious reason is reason enough for you to check your meds.
I'm just wondering what it's doing in this section, that's all.

your sh!tty post
It's not a ****ty post. It is a rather interesting and informative post. In fact, one of the best that was posted on the whole forum yesterday. I'm sure most would agree, old boy.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
It was because of all the spelling and grammar mistakes that I spotted in the original Mail article. I had to correct them all like I usually do. The standard of British journalism has gone seriously downhill in recent years.

It's not a ****ty post. It is a rather interesting and informative post. In fact, one of the best that was posted on the whole forum yesterday. I'm sure most would agree, old boy.

Perhaps you fukked-up.

Perhaps the way to have gone about it would be to ask one of the moderators to move your sh!tty post into whatever sub forum you figure it might belong to.

Have a nice day.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

Perhaps you are just beginning to notice what has always been there since the invention of the Queen's printer. Sometimes you seem really, really innocent of even the most widely known facts, might have something to do with all that digging that seems to be going on lately.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Perhaps you are just beginning to notice what has always been there since the invention of the Queen's printer. Sometimes you seem really, really innocent of even the most widely known facts, might have something to do with all that digging that seems to be going on lately.

British journalists were the best in the world not that long ago. Now, over the last few years, articles in British newspapers are riddled with grammatical errors. The most common error seems to be having commas where there shouldn't be some and not having commas where there should be some. Putting in commas where there should be full stops is also a common error. And whenever I notice one of these errors in an article I posted I correct it. I don't know why British newspapers these days are full of journalists who can't understand basic punctuation. It does my head in.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Probably helps with copyright issues, correcting them is probably a felony.

I disagree. I should be awarded a certificate or a medal by a company which promotes the proper use of grammar.

That money is spent by MPs in the Strangers' Bar in the Palace of Westminster.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
If the words form a lie it hardly makes any difference if it is spelled correctly.

2.% to the Queen for drinks that are already supplied at taxpayer's expense. Your country knows no shame does it??