Google robot is 'the end of manual labor'

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Boston Dynamics' new "Atlas" robot is a game changer, not just for companies, but for society, Insider.com CEO Jason Calacanis said Wednesday.

"This is really the end of manual labor. When you watch this video, he's walking through the snow; he's wobbly, but he gets back up," the tech investor told CNBC's "Squawk Alley."

"Manual labor is going to end in our lifetime, and in this video you can see how close we really are. It's a huge societal issue with jobs, but it's going to be a huge lift in terms of efficiency of companies that nobody expected."

Google robot is 'the end of manual labor': VC

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars

Boston Dynamics' new "Atlas" robot is a game changer, not just for companies, but for society, Insider.com CEO Jason Calacanis said Wednesday.

"This is really the end of manual labor. When you watch this video, he's walking through the snow; he's wobbly, but he gets back up," the tech investor told CNBC's "Squawk Alley."

"Manual labor is going to end in our lifetime, and in this video you can see how close we really are. It's a huge societal issue with jobs, but it's going to be a huge lift in terms of efficiency of companies that nobody expected."

Google robot is 'the end of manual labor': VC
Yes and then everyone is going to turn into soft , weak , marshmellow plebes. Sitting in their chairs looking like Orson Welles .

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I'm sure everything will be just fine as we transition to a knowledge based economy.

That's why we are moving on from dying industries like resource extraction.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm sure everything will be just fine as we transition to a knowledge based economy.
You're sure? So in other words, there's no plan, and you don't want to er my question because it makes you too uncomfortable.

I figured as much.

That's why we are moving on from dying industries like resource extraction.
And that's been a stellar example of a well thought out transition plan.

Do you ever think about anyone but yourself?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Are you always this much of a coward? Lol
I can understand how my questions make you feel uncomfortable Mr "You finally care about someone other than yourself".

Wouldn't want anyone else to catch a glimpse of your anti human behaviour.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Money will definitely become meaningless.

One things for sure. Will need a lot less humans, And that alone will solve pollution.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Money will definitely become meaningless.

That's a bit of a conundrum then isn't it? I mean at present the whole impetus behind the development of this technology is commerce, there is little concern for the workers who will be displaced, in fact the displacement of said works is actually the goal.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
That's a bit of a conundrum then isn't it? I mean at present the whole impetus behind the development of this technology is commerce, there is little concern for the workers who will be displaced, in fact the displacement of said works is actually the goal.

People and their ability to purchase goods is the economy. So less wages being handed out won't help any companies in the long run.
It's why 900 billion Canadian dollars are sitting in bank accounts with absolutely nothing worth investing in.

Why invest to make a new product when no one will buy it.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
All you low life laborers will have to fade into obsolescence. Maybe you can hang out at the park and shine shoes and wash folks windshields for a buck or two to get a can of pork and beans and a coke.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
No big surprise there. Jobs involving manual labour began to disappear with the invention of the water wheel. Robotics will simply complete the trend.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009