UK laws will continue to be written on goat skin

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A centuries-old tradition of recording copies of Parliament's laws on calf skin will continue, a minister has said, after peers signalled its end.

Matt Hancock said the technique was "cost-effective" and the Cabinet Office would look at how to pick up the bill.

The Lords had said switching from a parchment called vellum to archival paper could save about £80,000 a year.

It said it had not received an offer from the government department and so would proceed with the original plans.

"If the Cabinet Office write offering to take on the responsibility for printing Acts of Parliament on vellum, it would of course be considered.

"As of yet, that offer has not been made," a spokesman said.

Centuries-old vellum tradition 'to be saved' - Matt Hancock

BBC News
15 January 2016

A centuries-old tradition of recording copies of Parliament's laws on calf skin will continue, a minister has said, after peers signalled its end.

Matt Hancock said the technique was "cost-effective" and the Cabinet Office would look at how to pick up the bill.

The Lords had said switching from a parchment called vellum to archival paper could save about £80,000 a year.

It said it had not received an offer from the government department and so would proceed with the original plans.

"If the Cabinet Office write offering to take on the responsibility for printing Acts of Parliament on vellum, it would of course be considered.

"As of yet, that offer has not been made," a spokesman said.

'Being responsible'

Two copies are made of Acts of Parliament. One is stored in the National Archives and the other in the Parliamentary Archives.

Significant state documents - such as Magna Carta and thousands of Acts of Parliament - have traditionally been recorded on goat or calf skin.

MPs had handed the decision to end the practice to the House of Lords, which is responsible for the cost of vellums for Parliament, and peers decided to push ahead with the cost-cutting measure.

The House of Lords said vellum was "extremely expensive" and the cost of printing copies of laws on it - which it put at £100,000 a year "cannot be justified".

"Archival quality paper is an extremely high quality and durable alternative," said chairman of committees Lord Laming.

The Commons Administration Committee backed the Lords' proposal, saying it was "convinced by the arguments".

However, it encountered criticism from MPs, with Conservative James Gray calling for the "retrograde decision" to be reversed.

Mr Hancock told the Daily Telegraph: "Recording laws on vellum is a millennium-long traditions and surprisingly cost-effective.

"While the world constantly changes, we should safeguard some of our great traditions."

In 1999, the House of Lords decided in favour of scrapping the use of vellum - but the move was rejected in the Commons by 121 votes to 53, a majority of 68.

Centuries-old vellum tradition 'to be saved' - Matt Hancock - BBC News

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yep, how can you get any more official than that?

In this day and age where many things are going, boringly, digital (such as that left-wing newspaper that nobody reads, The Independent), it's quite refreshing to see some old traditions still alive and still going strong.

Sod digital. Go goat skin.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
For years now, I've gone completely digital, Instruction manuals,bills, receipts...etc. are all in pdf format, catalogued and stored on USB, and online storage so that it it is available at any time. My wife's recipes are all digital too.
The only thing that I have hard copy are my income tax forms and receipts ....For ten years....but I also have them in PDF for easy access.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's like those Kindles. Sod that. Give me a real paperback or hardback book any day.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
For years now, I've gone completely digital, Instruction manuals,bills, receipts...etc. are all in pdf format, catalogued and stored on USB, and online storage so that it it is available at any time. My wife's recipes are all digital too.
The only thing that I have hard copy are my income tax forms and receipts ....For ten years....but I also have them in PDF for easy access.

I'm totally in the dark about 90% of that stuff. Used to have two nails on the wall, one for bills and one for receipts- very easy to access.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I'm totally in the dark about 90% of that stuff. Used to have two nails on the wall, one for bills and one for receipts- very easy to access.
What is not known to a lot of people is that most manuals are available on the internet in Pdf format...
The other day I had to change the batteries in an alarm clock that only need changing every 4 or 5 years...
I checked on the internet for the manual to reset the clock after changing the batteries since it never needs setting after the first time and this is what I got...
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...XHKqD5B04sOAXWvLiiYRYg&bvm=bv.114195076,d.amc
...now I don't have to look I have it stored...