Cash-Strapped Saudi Arabia Hopes To Continue War Against Shale

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
With Fed's Blessing

Two weeks ago, Morgan Stanley made a decisively bearish call on oil, noting that if the forward curve was any indication, the recovery in prices will be "far worse than 1986" meaning "there would be little in analysable history that could be a guide to [the] cycle."

As we said at the time, "those who contend that the downturn simply cannot last much longer are perhaps ignoring the underlying narrative that helps to explain why the situation looks like it does."

"At heart," we continued, "this is a struggle between the Fed’s ZIRP and the Saudis, who appear set to outlast the easy money that’s kept US producers alive." This is an allusion to the fact that the weakest players in the US shale industry - which the Saudis figure they can effectively wipe out - have been able to hold on thus far thanks largely to accommodative capital markets.

But persistently low crude prices - which, if you believe Morgan Stanley, are at this point driven pretty much entirely by OPEC supply - are taking their toll on producers the world over. That is, the damage isn’t confined to US producers.

In fact, the protracted downturn in prices is slowly killing the petrodollar and exporters sucked liquidity from global markets for the first time in 18 years in 2014. To let Goldman tell it, a "new (lower) oil price equilibrium will reduce the supply of petrodollars by up to US$24 bn per month in the coming years, corresponding to around US$860 bn" by 2018.

As Bloomberg noted a few months back, the turmoil in commodities has produced a "concomitant drop in FX reserves ... in nations from oil producer Oman to copper-rich Chile and cotton-growing Burkina Faso."

And don’t forget Saudi Arabia which, as you can see from the chart below, isn’t immune to the ill-effects of its own policies.

more

Cash-Strapped Saudi Arabia Hopes To Continue War Against Shale With Fed's Blessing | Zero Hedge

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
For decades Saudi Arabia, among others, have been harvesting millions of tons of oil and reaping untold zillions of dollars of profits that could have bought secondary industry that easily could have stabilized the country but all those Sheiks(sp)bought cars and airplanes and mansions and if they are driven back to riding camels, so be it.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Too bad the drop in crude prices isn't reflected in the price at the pump. That would free up trillions of $$$$$ to boost other parts of the economy. Course I am also hoping for the housing market to crash big time so young people stand a chance to buy their own home without being in debt for 40 years.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Did the Saudis ever build those NG powerplants or the desalination, or NG ports or heavy oil projects the $100BBL was to fund that we took advantage of to up our global game?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Too bad the drop in crude prices isn't reflected in the price at the pump. That would free up trillions of $$$$$ to boost other parts of the economy. Course I am also hoping for the housing market to crash big time so young people stand a chance to buy their own home without being in debt for 40 years.

There is not a noticeable drop in gas prices up there?

For decades Saudi Arabia, among others, have been harvesting millions of tons of oil and reaping untold zillions of dollars of profits that could have bought secondary industry that easily could have stabilized the country but all those Sheiks(sp)bought cars and airplanes and mansions and if they are driven back to riding camels, so be it.

Where would we be without Saudi BMW Drifting clips?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

No. Still pretty high. Travelled through the states the last couple of weeks and it is really cheap down there. If only it was in Canadian $.

Cheapest I paid converted to $0.67/l (2.53/g) Most expensive was $0.72/l (2.72/g). Here (Toronto) it is $1.15/l. US prices in US$. In Saskatoon I gassed up at $1.06/l & $1.04/l.

$1.15/l = $4.37 CAD/g = $3.29/g US.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

He is paying $1.27 a litre on the Island, here in Vancouver it's $1.32 a litre while in Edmonton alberta I paid $1.00 and it was $1.08 in SK

Normally it would be $1.42 L in Vancouver but a tanker went all the way from Newfoundland through Panama and up to Vancouver and thus preventing a crisis for the BC Day long weekend.

In the local kitty litter box liner daily the Metro I read that 88% of "campers" (the green bean ecokyaker rainbow dolphin loving pipeline hating econauts) would camp more if gas prices were lower.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I have seen some Saudi companies marketing foodstuffs in Canada-Dates and (believe it or not) Hot Sauce-much like Tabasco but a tad sweeter-now I see there's another one that I haven't tried yet.

Difficult to see the above as anything but token efforts though maybe the Saudi gubmint bankrolled someone's business.

What will be interesting to see is what happens when such a rich place 'calls in it's markers' or if in fact they have any markers to call in-people love you when you have money to burn when you're down & out not so much.

FWIW-Tourism in Canada has benefited from Saudi patronage-there's a steady stream of Saudis passing through Vancouver, setting up house for months @ time, taking cruises to Alaska & also heading to the Rockies and they have money to spend.

Lots of homes in West Vancouver-one of the country's wealthiest municipalities-are Saudi owned.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Yeah, there is, but maybe not to the extent that some
folks expect. I looked up the Canadian & American
regular gas price averages over the last 2yr & 10yr
periods on GasBuddy. GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada

We pay more up here than you do south of our border....

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
No. Still pretty high. Travelled through the states the last couple of weeks and it is really cheap down there. If only it was in Canadian $.

Cheapest I paid converted to $0.67/l (2.53/g) Most expensive was $0.72/l (2.72/g). Here (Toronto) it is $1.15/l. US prices in US$. In Saskatoon I gassed up at $1.06/l & $1.04/l.

$1.15/l = $4.37 CAD/g = $3.29/g US.

Sorry, i did not see this earlier, a bit of an error in math.
"$1.15/l = $4.37 CAD/g = $3.29/g US."....... a Canadian gallon is 4.54 liters, 4.5 x $1.15 =?