Canada and Britain joined the U.S. in blocking a UN proposal aimed

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
at preventing the proliferation of nuclear weapons in the Middle East, which might have forced Israel to reveal whether or not it has nuclear weapons

Israel is not a party to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and has never publicly declared what is widely considered to be an extensive nuclear weapons program. A conference might force Israel to acknowledge it.

Since adopting a final document requires consensus, the rejection by the United States, backed by Britain and Canada, means the entire blueprint for global nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation for the next five years has been blocked after four weeks of negotiations. The next treaty review conference is in 2020.

That has alarmed countries without nuclear weapons, who are increasingly frustrated by what they see as the slow pace of nuclear-armed countries to disarm. The United States and Russia hold more than 90 percent of the estimated 16,000 nuclear weapons in the world today.

Israel had been furious when the U.S. at the treaty review conference five years ago signed off on a document that called for talks on a Middle East nuclear-free zone by 2012. Those talks never took place.

more

US rejects nuclear disarmament document over Israel concerns - The Washington Post

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I wouldn't worry about Israel having nukes. I would worry about any of the multitude of terrorist supporting nations in the area getting hold of one.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's not Israel having nukes that worries me. We should be trying to reveal whether the likes of Iran have nukes.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It has to do with Saudi being able to house nukes openly, same for Iraq once ISIS has control of some land. (such as Bahrain)

I wouldn't worry about Israel having nukes. I would worry about any of the multitude of terrorist supporting nations in the area getting hold of one.
You feel that threatened by them do you? How many miles away do they have to be before you feel safe in your permanent fox-hole?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It has to do with Saudi being able to house nukes openly, same for Iraq once ISIS has control of some land. (such as Bahrain)

You feel that threatened by them do you? How many miles away do they have to be before you feel safe in your permanent fox-hole?

Different planet. Once nukes start going off it will contaminate the whole planet and I am not ready for a 72 year old virgin goat.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The real problem is the UN and the WTO. We as nations are submitting to international
interference in our own affairs. When some vote at the UN can force any nation to openly
divulge its military secrets we have serious international problems.
Same for trade the world body now and has for years dictated what we can and cannot do
inside our own borders. I think people are soon going to say to hell with you.
I used to support the UN but the last few years has convinced me they are as useless as the
Canadian Senate

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I'm not worried about Isreal having nukes, and I'm sure they have had them already for sometime..

They need to kick the UN out of the United States and if possible delegitimize the UN, it's long past its usefulness other than being a pulpit to Terrorist nations like Iran.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Different planet. Once nukes start going off it will contaminate the whole planet and I am not ready for a 72 year old virgin goat.
There are a lot of things in this world you aren't ready for.

They need to kick the UN out of the United States and if possible delegitimize the UN, it's long past its usefulness other than being a pulpit to Terrorist nations like Iran.
Maybe make the new headquarters in, . . . . wait for it, . . . . Jerusalem, the only 'open city in the world'. That worship clause has me a bit worried. Don't concern yourself with the secrecy thing, just normal business that you don't have to be concerned about.

I used to support the UN but the last few years has convinced me they are as useless as the
Canadian Senate
I doubt they came up with blunders like the climate and other crap all by themselves. Under the follow the money rule it would appear that the G-5 are the only ones getting their moneies worth out of the whole affair.
The UN Air-force are heavy lifters and they run as much ammo as relief supplies. They were in Haiti first and landing and leaving was done by the pilots at the location. When 'you know who' came to town the quality and quantity of relief supplies lessened.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The real problem is the UN and the WTO. We as nations are submitting to international
interference in our own affairs. When some vote at the UN can force any nation to openly
divulge its military secrets we have serious international problems.
Same for trade the world body now and has for years dictated what we can and cannot do
inside our own borders. I think people are soon going to say to hell with you.
Canadian Senate

I tend to support the principle of the UN, but it is a useless paper tiger if people won't try pet it. In that case, Canada might be better off leaving it.