Farage accuses TV debate audience of being packed with left-wingers

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Ukip's war on the arrogant, out-of-touch, left-wing, liberal, metropolitan elite which runs Britain (into the ground) continued during the second leaders' debate of the election campaign last night.

Whilst it is well-known that the BBC packs its audiences on its political debate show Question Time full of booing, hissing, jeering Left wing rent-a-gobs - even when it's coming from a Tory or Ukip-supporting constituency - last night Farage accused the BBC of doing the sme during the debate.

The debate last night, televised live on BBC One, BBC News 24 and Sky News, took place between the leaders of Ukip, Labour, Greens, SNP and Plaid Cymru (the latter four -- three of which are led by women - are perfect examples of four hopelessly out-of-touch Left-wing parties). But Farage eventually lost his rag and angrily accused the audience of being packed with left-wingers after they constantly booed, jeered and hissed him.

Defiant Nigel Farage today insisted he did not 'lose my rag' after rounding on the audience of a live TV debate for being too left wing.

The Ukip leader was booed by voters at Westminster's Methodist Central Hall as he faced claims he blamed all of Britain's problems on migrants.

The BBC insists the audience was carefully selected by an independent pollster, but Mr Farage said something had gone 'wrong' with the process.

Asked whether he had lost his temper, Mr Farage told the BBC News Channel: 'I was very calm about it. I didn't lose my rag.'

He said his protest had been sparked by the hostile audience reaction to his argument that high levels of immigration were increasing pressure on the housing market, something he said would be accepted by 'most rational people'.

And he added: 'This is not the first time I've seen this. The night of the by-election that Douglas Carswell won in Clacton with a landslide, there was a Ukip representative - Patrick O'Flynn - on Question Time in Clacton and the audience were deeply hostile to him.'

Asked if he blamed the BBC, Mr Farage said: 'Sometimes these things go wrong, sometimes you get groups who apply to be on programmes who perhaps aren't as truthful on their applications as they could be.

'In this case, the BBC gave the job to a polling company called ICM who are famous for getting everything about Ukip wrong and that I think was the mistake.

'Am I going to make a complaint? I've got an election to fight. What matters isn't the 200 people in the room, what really matters are the millions of people watching on television.'

Many viewers to BBC's weekly Question Time have complained in recent months that its audiences seem to be deliberately packed with hissing, jeering, booing left-wingers that give left-wing politicians and journalists a hard time.

Immoediately after the debate, Ukip MP Mark Reckless said that the leaders of Labour, SNP, Greens and Plaid Cymru made the debate "seem like a students' union debate, looking for ways to spend other people's money.

'I didn't lose my rag': Farage defiant after turning on debate audience as he accuses the BBC of packing studio with left-wingers

Ukip leader Nigel Farage risks alienating those watching debate last night

Complains of 'remarkable audience even by Left-wing standards of BBC'

Comments on housing pressure due to immigration greeted with mutters

David Dimbleby says independent polling firm chose 'balanced' audience

By Matt Chorley, Political Editor for MailOnline
17 April 2015
Daily Mail

Defiant Nigel Farage today insisted he did not 'lose my rag' after rounding on the audience of a live TV debate for being too left wing.

The Ukip leader was booed by voters at Westminster's Methodist Central Hall as he faced claims he blamed all of Britain's problems on migrants.

The BBC insists the audience was carefully selected by an independent pollster, but Mr Farage said something had gone 'wrong' with the process.

Nigel Farage today insisted he did not 'lose my rag' after rounding on the audience of a live TV debate for being too left wing

Asked whether he had lost his temper, Mr Farage told the BBC News Channel: 'I was very calm about it. I didn't lose my rag.'

He said his protest had been sparked by the hostile audience reaction to his argument that high levels of immigration were increasing pressure on the housing market, something he said would be accepted by 'most rational people'.

And he added: 'This is not the first time I've seen this. The night of the by-election that Douglas Carswell won in Clacton with a landslide, there was a Ukip representative - Patrick O'Flynn - on Question Time in Clacton and the audience were deeply hostile to him.'

Asked if he blamed the BBC, Mr Farage said: 'Sometimes these things go wrong, sometimes you get groups who apply to be on programmes who perhaps aren't as truthful on their applications as they could be.

'In this case, the BBC gave the job to a polling company called ICM who are famous for getting everything about Ukip wrong and that I think was the mistake.

'Am I going to make a complaint? I've got an election to fight. What matters isn't the 200 people in the room, what really matters are the millions of people watching on television.'

Booed: Ukip leader Nigel Farage risked alienating those watching at Westminster's Central Hall in London as he protested they were 'a remarkable audience even by the Left-wing standards of the BBC'

The BBC insists the audience was carefully selected by an independent pollster, but Mr Farage said something had gone 'wrong' with the process

Last night saw five opposition party leaders go head-to-head in a 90-minute live TV debate.

Mr Farage appeared alongside Labour's Ed Miliband, SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon, Green Natalie Bennett and Plaid Cymru's Leanne Wood.

During the earlier exchanges, the leaders on Mr Farage for his anti-immigration policies, attracting applause from the audience.

Mr Farage was taken aback, and attacked a 'total lack of comprehension' from those watching and protested they were 'a remarkable audience even by the Left-wing standards of the BBC'.

His outburst came less than half an hour into the event after some of his comments about pressure on housing due to immigration were greeted with mutters from those watching.

Mr Farage warned that foreigners arriving in the UK 'has directly contributed to the housing crisis'.

But he came under fire for linking all of the countries problems to immigration.

Green party leader Natalie Bennett took a swipe at Mr Farage: 'There is someone here on this platform who wants to totally demonise migrants and you know who I mean.'

She hit back at claims migrants are causing a crisis in the health service: 'One in four doctors is foreign born, 40 per cent of NHS staff are foreign born.

Mr Miliband said told Mr Farage: 'You abuse immigrants and those with HIV and then you complain that Ukip is being abused.'

Miss Sturgeon won loud applause as she urged Mr Farage to 'put the bogeyman to one side'.

She told him: 'We have a housing crisis across this country. You know what, Nigel Farage? It isn't caused by immigrants. In your world every problem is caused by immigrants.'

But Mr Farage claimed the audience was biased against him: 'There just seems to be a total lack of comprehension on this panel, and indeed amongst this audience, which is a remarkable audience even by the Left-wing standards of the BBC.'

Mr Farage was heckled by members of the audience before David Dimbleby, who was presenting the broadcast on BBC1, intervened to say: 'Nigel, let me just say one thing.

'This is an audience that has been carefully chosen not by the BBC, but by an independent polling organisation to represent the balance between all parties.'

Labour leader Ed Miliband gave the Ukip leader the advice: 'It's never a great idea to attack the audience, Nigel, in my opinion.' But Mr Farage retorted: 'The real audience are sitting at home.'

Explanation: Mr Farage was heckled before David Dimbleby (pictured), who was presenting the broadcast on BBC1, intervened to say how the audience had been chosen

The BBC insisted the audience had been chosen by an independent polling organisation to reflect the supporters of all parties - not just those represented by their leaders last night.

A spokesman for the corporation told MailOnline yesterday: 'ICM recruited an audience to give a cross section of political opinion.'

ICM, a public opinion research company founded in 1989, was unavailable for comment last night. Ukip meanwhile was said to be pressing for an inquiry into how the audience was chosen.

Asked after the debate about Mr Farage's criticism of the audience, Ukip deputy leader Paul Nuttall said: 'I am not sure whether we will complain. All I will say is I didn't think the audience was representative of the views of British people.

'I think Nigel Farage would have done very well with people sitting at home.'

Mr Nuttall said he had spoken about things which had happened to him on Question Time, telling reporters: 'Who knows, may be some people are being disingenuous on their application forms.'

Asked if adopting an attack on the audience was an easy get out clause for dismissing opposition to Ukip's views, he added: 'Oh no. People at home agree with us and that's what really matters - the millions of people at home watching this.

'We know, for example, on immigration, on the European Union they agree with where Ukip stands. What the audience in here really think is, I suppose, irrelevant.'

Tweeting during the debate, Lord Ashcroft said: 'A minority view once again. Nigel Farage having a go at the BBC audience may well appeal to the viewers whose vote he is targeting.'

And Sky News presenter Kay Burley tweeted: 'Farage having a pop at balance of audience. Dodgy ground there. Broadcasters jump through hoops to make sure studio is fair.'

FARAGE DECIDES NOT TO SHAKE HANDS WITH AUDIENCE AFTER DEBATE

As the end credits rolled following the BBC debate last night, four of the five party leaders shook hands with each other - but Mr Farage just drank from a glass of water from behind his stand.

As Miss Bennett and Miss Wood walked away, Miss Sturgeon then went to shake Mr Farage's hand - and Mr Miliband offered the Ukip leader a pat on the back.

Then, all of the leaders went to the audience to shake their hands - with the exception, again, of Mr Farage. He shook hands with Mr Dimbleby before leaving without going up to the audience.

Left alone: As the end credits rolled following the BBC debate last night, four of the five party leaders shook hands with each other - but Mr Farage (right) just drank from a glass of water from behind his stand

All of the leaders went to the audience to shake their hands - with the exception, again, of Mr Farage. He shook hands with Mr Dimbleby before leaving (circled in red) without going up to the audience

Last edited:

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
he's just a bad debater and everyone was laughing at him. maybe he should reference hadrian's wall a few more times. goof.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
he's just a bad debater

He's actually a phenomenally brilliant debater and rarely loses one. We all remember when he wiped the floor with Nick Clegg in two TV debates last year.

I'm not surprised Mr Farage got angry last night. He's not the only one who is fed up with the BBC packing its audiences on political debate shows like Question Time full of booing, hissing, jeering, left-wing rent-a-gobs who boo, hiss and jeer everything a right-wing politician or journalist has to say even if that person's views are perfectly reasonable and even popular with most people, whilst they manically clap and cheer any Labour or LibDem or Green politician who comes on to tell us that we should carry on spending other people's money to out us further into debt and that we should stay in the EU and that we should blight the countryside with useles, "green" windmills. Packing an audience full of left-wing rent-a-gobs last night on the TV debate, and then carrying on denying it even when it was plain to see by millions of viewers, is yet another new low by the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation.

It was sickening to see Mr Farage's perfectly reasonable complaint during the debate last night that immigration is outting too much pressure on housing around the country - a problem which millions of people face everyday - met by a barrage of boos and hisses from the vetted Left-wing audience. It's a disgrace and shows complete disregard for the problems that millions of people face eveyday, problems caused by immigration.

It is going to be a long, hard battle to rescue Britain from the arrogant, out-of-touch, holier-than-thou, Left-wing, metropolitan Establishment which badly runs this country and get it back into the hands of ordinary people. But Ukip and their supporters will persevere and WILL win the battle.

maybe he should reference hadrian's wall a few more times.
I hope he does. It's good to finally see a politician which recognises - unlike those hopelessly out-of-touch leaders of the Left-wing parties he ran rings around last night - that the English taxpayers and voters are getting fed up seeing their hard-earned tax money going over Hadrian's Wall to Scotland, giving the Scots far higher public spending per head of population than the English, Welsh and Northern Irish. Surely he has every right to be angry about this and to point out that Scotland's share of the Barnett Formula - which Mr barnett himself has said is outdated and needs to be scrapped - needs to be cut.

Go on, Nigel! Stick it to them! It's time to show the arrogant, out-of-touch, left-wing elite which badly runs this country what for, and to send them PACKING!

Nigel Farage accuses audience of being deliberately packed full of Left-wingers as he wipes the floor with his left-wing opponents at last night's leaders' debate.

Left-wing, rent-a-gob audience disgracefully boos and hisses Mr Farage for merely addressing voters' legitimate concerns that too much immigration is placing pressure on housing.

'A remarkable audience even by the left-wing standards of the BBC'

Ukip leader Nigel Farage risks alienating those watching debate last night
Complains of 'remarkable audience even by Left-wing standards of BBC'
Comments on housing pressure due to immigration greeted with mutters
David Dimbleby says independent polling firm chose 'balanced' audience

Poll

Who won last night's debate?

Nigel Farage (Ukip): 65%
Nicola Sturgeon (SNP): 16%
Ed Miliband (Labour): 15%
Natalie Bennett (Green): 2%

Leanne Wood (Plaid Cymru): 1%

Nigel Farage was booed by the audience of last night's live television debate after complaining of a ‘total lack of comprehension’ from those in attendance.

The Ukip leader risked alienating those watching at Westminster's Central Hall in London as he protested they were ‘a remarkable audience even by the Left-wing standards of the BBC’.

His outburst came less than half an hour into the event after some of his comments about pressure on housing due to immigration were greeted with mutters from those watching.

Booed: Ukip leader Nigel Farage risked alienating those watching at Westminster's Central Hall in London as he protested they were 'a remarkable audience even by the Left-wing standards of the BBC'

Mr Farage was heckled before David Dimbleby (pictured), who was presenting the broadcast on BBC1, intervened to say how the audience had been chosen

He said: ‘There just seems to be a total lack of comprehension on this panel, and indeed amongst this audience, which is a remarkable audience even by the Left-wing standards of the BBC.’

Mr Farage was heckled by members of the audience before David Dimbleby, who was presenting the broadcast on BBC1, intervened to say: ‘Nigel, let me just say one thing.

‘This is an audience that has been carefully chosen not by the BBC, but by an independent polling organisation to represent the balance between all parties.’

Labour leader Ed Miliband gave the Ukip leader the advice: ‘It's never a great idea to attack the audience, Nigel, in my opinion.’ But Mr Farage retorted: ‘The real audience are sitting at home.'

Jeering: Mr Farage's outburst came less than half an hour into the event after some of his comments about pressure on housing due to immigration were greeted with mutters from those watching

Left alone: Mr Farage (right) stands alone while the other four leaders go up to each other following the debate

Mr Farage said: 'A rapid rise in population due to open door immigration... has directly contributed to the housing crisis.

'If you have net migration running at 300,000 a year, that's 300,000 people who need somewhere to live.'

Miss Sturgeon won loud applause as she urged Mr Farage to 'put the bogeyman to one side'.

She told him: 'We have a housing crisis across this country. You know what, Nigel Farage? It isn't caused by immigrants. In your world every problem is caused by immigrants.'

The BBC insisted the audience had been chosen by an independent polling organisation to reflect the supporters of all parties - not just those represented by their leaders last night.

A spokesman for the corporation told MailOnline yesterday: 'ICM recruited an audience to give a cross section of political opinion.'

ICM, a public opinion research company founded in 1989, was unavailable for comment last night. Ukip meanwhile was said to be pressing for an inquiry into how the audience was chosen.

Asked after the debate about Mr Farage's criticism of the audience, Ukip deputy leader Paul Nuttall said: 'I am not sure whether we will complain. All I will say is I didn't think the audience was representative of the views of British people.

'I think Nigel Farage would have done very well with people sitting at home.'

Mr Nuttall said he had spoken about things which had happened to him on Question Time, telling reporters: 'Who knows, may be some people are being disingenuous on their application forms.'

Asked if adopting an attack on the audience was an easy get out clause for dismissing opposition to Ukip's views, he added: 'Oh no. People at home agree with us and that's what really matters - the millions of people at home watching this.

'We know, for example, on immigration, on the European Union they agree with where Ukip stands. What the audience in here really think is, I suppose, irrelevant.'

Tweeting during the debate, Lord Ashcroft said: 'A minority view once again. Nigel Farage having a go at the BBC audience may well appeal to the viewers whose vote he is targeting.'

Five questions were asked by the audience during the BBC ‘challengers’ debate, with each of the five leaders also making a short opening and closing statement.

The first clash of the evening came between Mr Miliband and Mr Farage with the Labour leader saying that Ukip's sums for clearing the deficit ‘don't add up’.

But Mr Farage said: ‘Our sums do add up. You obviously haven't read the manifesto.'

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
nope. the clear dominant debater has been sturgeon.

Poll

Nigel Farage (Ukip): 65%
Nicola Sturgeon (SNP): 16%
Ed Miliband (Labour): 15%
Natalie Bennett (Green): 2%

Leanne Wood (Plaid Cymru): 1%

Sturgeon had a terrible night last night. She's a nasty piece of work and only speaks for, at most, 9% of the electorate.

Farage won the debate last night.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
yea what's the source to that, lol

Where's your evidence that Sturgeon won the debate last night? Is it merely YOUR opinion? Because it's not the opinion of two-thirds of the people in that poll.

Sturgeon is a second-rate politician (as are the other female party leaders) and her profilgate, socialist policies will bankrupt this country if she gets a whiff of power in May.

Ukip are the way forward and Farage showed that again last night.

Londoner1967, London England, United Kingdom, 10 minutes ago

A vote for Labour is a reward for failure, the feckless, irresponsbible and a yes to more EU intervention. A vote for the Tories is a reward for failure unless you approve of the bankers and a complete sell-off of the UK's assets and a dud referendum in 2017 (despite Junker confirming that 2019 will be the earliest they will talk about anything). A vote for the Greens (aka The Monster Raving Loony Party) say no more and the Lib Dems are an irrelevance. A vote for UKIP is a vote for hope, ambition and upwards social mobility. The future is bright, the future is purple. Down with the BBC and their lefty propaganda views and down with the licence tax we are forced to pay.

Reply:

Mark 1958, Nottingham, United Kingdom, 6 minutes ago
Well said Sir. I shall be out all weekend campaigning for the party that wants the "Great" back into Great Britain, yes brothers and sisters, UKIP.

hector, crawley, United Kingdom, 2 hours ago
did look like a girls night out with ed millibank play gooseberry, the best bit was the national debt 1.5 trillion they could not even understand that figure only nigel farage told the audiance that was going be here be for very long unless that comes down we had it, 1% increase that will double the interest simple number but think about IT.

Phil, leicester, United Kingdom, 2 hours ago
I find it unbelievable that the three ladies on the panel , think that we should treat the whole world and its friends to free NHS treatment , whilst our own citizens are deprived of treatment for serious conditions because the drugs required are too expensive , even though they may have paid national insurance charges throughout their working lives . With any due respect ladies , I think you are a disgrace to deny British patients the treatment they deserve , and it just shows how out of touch you are with your idiotic policies .

anon e-mouse again, One Horse Town, United Kingdom, 14 minutes ago
I hope this bias against UKIP is the start of the end for the BBC.

cavedweller, liverpool, United Kingdom, about an hour ago
' Sturgeon ' ..a fish resembling a shark...How apt ! Third attempt D.M. to get my point across...will keep trying,' Monitor '

Replies:

Sagic, Hull, United Kingdom, 15 minutes ago
Oily fish are great for brain development as they contain high levels of Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) and Docosahexanoic Acid Salmon and Sturgeon do not contain anything like that.

john c, Essex, United Kingdom, 7 minutes ago
snowonthebeach...."Red Herring" ...False ..Lies...cannot be trusted

rosie, Washington, United Kingdom, about an hour ago
There was 4 Pro-EU parties on the stage last night but only ONE Pro-Britain party. The writing is on the wall people, lets get behind UKIP who are the only party backing us!!

Replies:

Lorna Howe, Essex, United Kingdom, 11 minutes ago
Therefore it was automatically a majority left wing audience... people need to look at whats being said because Nigel was right - it was a biased left wing audience... if there was a 33/33/33 split then it would have been equal. left right and middle.. UKIP are middle as they dont have left or right attitudes - just the ones that are right for that subject.

David, Stansted, 10 minutes ago
There were four ..take..take..take..take..parties out there.
chancel, manchester, United Kingdom, about an hour ago
There must be a complaints system who will be able to tackle and fine the BBC over this shoddy piece of "open debate" it was nothing short of organised bullying. Farage may not want to complain but there must be other fair minded people out there who see the BBC for what they are. I have always defended the BBC in the past because being taxpayer funded I believed they would be impartial, but last night's debacle showed they aren't.

Somerset..., Wales, United Kingdom, about an hour ago
Leanne woods really was a disgrace last night. She didn't listen to the others, kept rabbiting on about the same thing over and over again and had absolutely no comprehension about anything east of the seven bridge,

Reply:

David, Stansted, 8 minutes ago
The tax payers of England subsidise Wales by about £8 billion a year......and just like Oliver Twist.......they want more.
NuLabour-EU Despiser, Helston, United Kingdom, about an hour ago
Farage WAS the only one speaking the TRUTH. I've never heard such a load of codswallop in all my life as spoken by the others, AND totally contradicting themselves most of the time. I'M VOTING UKIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Popeye501, Scotland, United Kingdom, 1 hour ago
UKIP , Read the manifesto with eyes wide open , and defy you to deny that it's exactly what the rest are wishing they had done 7May judgekip day

lightwork8, Portishead, United Kingdom, 1 hour ago
Did you know that UKIP state in their manifesto that they will: Release Britain from the shackles of the EU saving £9bn net pa, Raise personal tax allowance to £13,000, Introduce intermediate rate of 30% tax for incomes between £43,500 & £55,000, Make 40% the top rate of tax for high earners as it used to be, Raise threshold for 40% tax to £55,000, Scrap inheritance tax completely and Abolish bedroom tax. If you want your Britain back vote UKIP.

Bernie, Lewisham, 2 hours ago
This was a farce - a kids' game. Miliband obeying his American coach like a puppet. Complete disregard for the world problems - middle east - Russian planes challenging our air-space. Cameron is still PM and stayed in his office reading reports.on our national security. Don't forget that the BBC Director of Strategy (salary £295,000) is a former Labour Sec of State - James Purnell. Balance - fairness? .

Last edited:

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
Where's your evidence that Sturgeon won the debate last night? Is it merely YOUR opinion? Because it's not the opinion of two-thirds of the people in that poll.

Sturgeon is a second-rate politician (as are the other female party leaders) and her profilgate, socialist policies will bankrupt this country if she gets a whiff of power in May.

Yes the opinion of someone with impartial views on the UK elections. Still you could argue Miliband won if you like, but Farage was awful and barely noticeable. He blamed his lack of positive reactions on the leftism of the crowd when in reality it was wholly due to his lack of debating prowess.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
That's weird because I found this poll that says otherwise.

Poll

Nicola Sturgeon (SNP): 62%
Ed Miliband (Labour): 20%
Leanne Wood (Plaid Cymru): 14%
Natalie Bennett (Green): 3%

Nigel Farage (Ukip): 1%

It too has big red letters. Looks pretty legit.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

You are only voting UKIP due to a Fascist party not listed on the ballot. Ooops. They are.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Poll

Yet neither of you has links to those polls.......strange....

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Here is the Poll I saw

Poll

Nicola Sturgeon (SNP): 62.857%
Ed Miliband (Labour): 82.99%
Leanne Wood (Plaid Cymru): 29.231%
Natalie Bennett (Green): 68.432%

Nigel Farage (Ukip): 199.01%

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011

Poll

yea so legit. polling systems are the perfect example of incorruptible evidence we have. what was the source again?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Cliffy
BL is color blind excepting when to come to people, Roman Catholics, French, Poles, heck all Europeans.
Oh yeah, throw in the rest of the world as well minus the UK.
That is usually a sign of low self esteem. Maybe we shouldn't pick on him.