Mark Carney defends Bank of England over climate change study

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
He's the former Governor of the Bank of Canada.

Mark Carney defends Bank of England over climate change study

Climate change is one of the biggest risks facing the insurance industry, the governor of the Bank of England has said after a former Conservative chancellor dismissed a study on global warming as “green claptrap”.

Speaking at the House of Lords, Mark Carney mounted a robust defence of the Bank’s work on the impact of climate change on the insurance industry in the face of claims by Nigel Lawson that it had its priorities wrong.

Lawson, who has claimed “there is no global warming to speak of going on at the moment”, a view that puts him outside the overwhelming scientific consensus, attacked the bank for “focusing on green claptrap” rather than the remaining problems in the UK’s financial sector.

Lawson was referring to a recent speech by Paul Fisher, a senior policymaker at the Bank, who warned insurers they could take a “huge hit” by investing in fossil fuels, which could collapse in value if action is taken to curb greenhouse gas emissions in line with scientific advice. Fisher is deputy head of the Bank’s Prudential Regulation Authority, which supervises insurers and banks with the aim of ensuring financial stability.

The Bank has recently surveyed the insurance industry on its fossil fuel investments, as it investigates the risk of an economic crash if action on climate change renders oil and gas assets worthless. The contribution from Threadneedle Street is expected to be published after the election by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) as part of a bigger report on the impact of climate change.

More frequent storms, hotter summers and an increase in flooding have driven up the global insurance industry’s annual weather-related losses to $200bn (£133bn) a year – a fourfold increase in 30 years. But the insurance industry’s investments in fossil fuel companies have attracted less attention.

Carney told the Lords economic affairs committee that the potential impact of climate change was a fundamental issue for industry regulators. “In the insurance business one of the top risks is climate change ... it is absolutely essential to oversee and supervise the third largest insurance market in the world.”

Carney said the issue of stranded carbon – where coal, oil and gas may have to be left in the ground – was about proper reporting to determine the true value of corporate assets. “It could well be the case that [the insurance industry] is well provisioned, but we have a responsibility to run that down.”

The Bank last year added its voice to growing concern about the risks of a “carbon bubble” to the global economy. As oil and gas companies are among the biggest in the world, a sudden collapse in asset prices could trigger an economic crash.

At a World Bank meeting last year, Carney said the vast majority of fossil fuel reserves may be “unburnable” if global temperatures are to be limited to 2C, as pledged by the world’s governments.

Earlier in the session at the Lords, which ranged widely over economic and monetary policy, Carney said he expected inflation to fall to 0% and stay there for much of the rest of the year. The consumer price index tumbled to 0.3% in January, raising fears of deflation. However, Carney said it would be foolish for the Bank to resort to financial stimulus to fight the “one-time adjustment” of falling oil prices.

Mark Carney defends Bank of England over climate change study | Environment | The Guardian

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm with Nigella Lawson's dad on this. "Global warming" is nothing but green claptrap.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
And it will soon be all around you when you are up to your over sized ears in water

You bloody Warmists don't half believe in some bloody tosh. You're away with the bloody fairies.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
You must be upset; you are talking like a mad Englishman: incoherent. Take your blood pressure meds before you blow a gasket.

I'm calm down when you stop talking a load of utter tripe. The things you Warmists believe..... and then you expect the rest of the planet to adopt your eccentric beliefs, too.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
We had a whole day and half without a global warming thread on the front page...
I would guess that made flossy's internet life just unbearable....:roll:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
And it will soon be all around you when you are up to your over sized ears in water as your mighty Briddish empire drops beneath the waves, glub, glub.

That's what you believe! LMAO

The FEAR is strong in this one!

Are you happy Flossy?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Maybe it will, who knows.

I don't think the scope of damage will be so pronounced, but this is definitely the big button topic over the next 50 years.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Climate change is one of the biggest risks facing the insurance industry,

Not my problem... I do not participate in, nor do I invest in the insurance sector

Lawson, who has claimed “there is no global warming to speak of going on at the moment”,

Hasn't been any AGW for over a decade, but I'll go out on a limb here and wager that the insurance industry will be upping the premiums for all policy holders on this horrible fate that awaits us all.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Of course, they will buy them at a steep discount and sell them to their corporate clients at a premium as a means to offset their premiums that they know won't be affected by global warming.

They aren't stupid