Nigel Garage Grilled on Loose Women

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
With plenty of BBQ sauce.

'Why are you the most hated man in Britain?'

By Matt Chorley, Political Editor for MailOnline 14:08 05 Mar 2015, updated 18:53 05 Mar 2015

-Ukip leader appears on daytime TV to soften image with female voters

-Panellists ask him about smoking, drinking and the state of his marriage

-Linda Robson asks: Why are you the most hated man in Britain?

-Nadia Sawalha says she would give him a 'telling off' for boozing

-Jane Moore questions 'flip-floppy' policy on immigration this week

-Farage boasts Ukip will get more than 10 MPs to hold balance of power

-Insists he is 'fit as a flea' and deserves a 'sherbert' in a pub at lunchtime

-Nigel Farage today faced the wrath of the Loose Women, as they challenged him about his smoking, drinking, the state of his marriage and why he is the most hated man in Britain.

The Ukip leader appeared on the ITV show as part of an effort to soften his image and tackle the idea that the party struggles to appeal to female voters.

He admitted that he had to be 'selfish' to get on in politics, and it was 'impossible' to be a family man while running a party and spending time in the pub.

Scroll down for video

Nigel 'most hated man in Britain' Farage on Loose Women
LOOSE WOMEN TELL FARAGE YOU'RE A HATED FLIP-FLOPPER WHO DRINKS TOO MUCH

Linda Robson: 'I don't really know much about politics but can you tell me why you've been voted the most hated man in Britain?'

Mr Farage: 'That's quite a compliment isn't it'

Jane Moore asked him why he had dropped his immigration cap. She said he was a 'bit flip-floppy'.

Mr Farage: 'The cap is a nonsense.'

Asked about his drinking, Mr Farage said: 'I only spend five or six hours a day in the pub, that's all I do. I can't see what all the fuss is about.'

Nadia Sawalha told him: 'If I was your wife I would be giving you a bad telling off for that, what does your wife think?'

During the 10-minute showdown on daytime TV, Mr Farage was tackled over 'flip-flopping' on immigration, his private education, his unhealthy lifestyle and his admission that he would be a poor Prime Minister.

But he insisted that unlike other politicians he had experience of life outside Westminster, and boasted that after the next election more than 10 Ukip MPs could help form a government.

He joked that he could cope with being grilled by the likes of David Dimbleby and Jeremy Paxman but now felt like he was in 'the lion's den'.

Actress Linda Robson challenged Mr Farage: 'I don't really know much about politics but can you tell me why you've been voted the most hated man in Britain?'

Mr Farage joked that it was 'quite a compliment isn't it', but the pannelists seemed not to agree.

He added: 'I'll tell you something, if you look at the political class we have got, by which I mean the people who go to the same handful of schools, all go to Oxford, all do the same degree, all become researchers.'

But he was tackled over the fact that he also went to private school, exclusive Dulwich College in south London.

'Well, my life has been fairly up and down since then believe you me, its not been a seamless transition,' he said.

'If you look at these political figures, they are all like cardboard cut-outs, no-one dare saying anything, or do anything, they are all playing safe, they are all scared of the media, I'm not so I'm a bit like marmite, people either like me or they don't like me.'

Linda Robson asked him: 'When do you get to spend time with your wife and you children?'
Linda Robson asked him: 'When do you get to spend time with your wife and you children?'
Andrea McLean asked Farage about making promises which he would never have to keep
Andrea McLean asked Farage about making promises which he would never have to keep
Jane Moore grilled Mr Farage about his policies and lifestyle
Jane Moore grilled Mr Farage about his policies and lifestyle
Nadia Sawalha told Mr Farage should would not put up with his drinking if she was his wife
Nadia Sawalha told Mr Farage should would not put up with his drinking if she was his wife
Ukip faced criticism yesterday after ditching a promised cap on immigration, in favour of a new quango tasked with introducing an Australian-style points based system to allow more high-skilled workers and those from the Commonwealth to come to Britain.

Jane Moore told him that when the party was centred on him it had a clear message, but the emergence of other spokesman, and the election of its first two MPs, had created confusion with people 'popping up all over the place'.

You cannot conduct any sense of family life and do politics Ukip leader Nigel Farage

'What's going on? It's starting to look just as its gets important to the election, you're starting to look a bit rudderless,' Moore said.

She said that the party had been a 'bit flip-floppy' after Ukip's immigration spokesman Steven Woolfe backed a cap before Mr Farage rejected it.

Farage hit back at the claim, declaring: 'The cap is a nonsense. What we said yesterday was we want an end to un-skilled Labour coming into Britain in the vast numbers it has in the last few years.

'Because what it has done is depressed everybody's ages. Those on minimum wage, it has become the maximum wage for a lot of people.'

Mr Farage insisted he wanted immigration below 50,000 but caps were meaningless.

Farage was also challenged about whether he has any ‘guilt’ about being seen as a beer-swilling, chain-smoking figure
Farage was also challenged about whether he has any ‘guilt’ about being seen as a beer-swilling, chain-smoking figure
IF I WAS YOUR WIFE I WOULDN'T LIKE YOUR DRINKING, SAYS NADIA

Nigel Farage joked he spends 6 hours in the pub
Nigel Farage joked he spends 6 hours in the pub
Nigel Farage joked that he spent up to six hours a day in the pub as he was challenged about the impact of his drinking on his family life.

He was asked whether he has any 'guilt' about being seen as a beer-swilling, chain-smoking figure. He joked: 'I only spend five or six hours a day in the pub, that's all I do. I can't see what all the fuss is about.'

But Nadia Sawalha told him: 'If I was your wife I would be giving you a bad telling off for that, what does your wife think?'

She told him that working long hours, smoking and drinking was not a 'good example' for the public.

But Mr Farage repeated his recent admission that he rarely sees his family as a result of his work.

'I get up at five o'clock in the morning, I'm rarely home before midnight. I think at lunchtime I deserve a sherbet.'

At the Ukip spring conference last week, Mr Farage was forced to publicly reject rumours that he was seriously ill, insisting that he had kept a low profile to avoid boring voters during a long election campaign.

He told Loose Women: 'I'm fit as a flea… I mean I won't be in the London Marathon next year, lets be frank. My body has been fairly badly bashed up by two very big accidents, but given all of that I'm in pretty good shape.'

He was also challenged about whether he has any 'guilt' about being seen as a beer-swilling, chain-smoking figure. He joked: 'I only spend five or six hours a day in the pub, that's all I do. I can't see what all the fuss is about.'

But Nadia Sawalha told him: 'If I was your wife I would be giving you a bad telling off for that, what does your wife think?'

She told him that working long hours, smoking and drinking was not a 'good example' for the public.

But Mr Farage repeated his recent admission that he rarely sees his family as a result of his work.

'I get up at five o'clock in the morning, I'm rarely home before midnight. I think at lunchtime I deserve a sherbet.'

Robson asked him: 'When do you get to spend time with your wife and you children?'

But Mr Farage admitted: 'Well at the moment I don't. You cannot conduct any sense of family life and do politics.'

He suggested that claims by David Cameron, Ed Miliband and Nickl Clegg that they are hands-on fathers might not be true.

'I notice that the other three big leaders are very good at coming on programmes like this and saying what good family men they are and how they do the school run and when the babies were little they change all the nappies and did the night feeds.

'Well, maybe that's true, but all I can say is my life in politics, it's pretty much impossible to do that.'

At the weekend Mr Farage's wife Kirsten said she has to stay at home and look after their children because husband Nigel's job running Ukip means she is effectively a single mother.

Moore asked him: 'You have said your first marriage part of it breaking down was your dedicated to politics and not being around very much. You're on your second marriage now and we are hearing the same story, is it all worth it? Is politics worth it?'

In an honest assessment of his family life, Mr Farage admitted: 'People who go into politics and have got ambition, whether its personal ambition or wanting to change things.

'I think by nature you have got to be a fairly selfish person to do that. That's a story against myself but it's the truth.'

Nick Farage signs autographs for fans outside ITV
Mr Farage played down the idea that he would become Deputy Prime Minister in the event of a hung parliament.

In an interview this week, Mr Farage said he would not make a good Prime Minister, which Sawalha said made it sound like he had 'low self-esteem issues'.

She added: I think anybody who looks at a person who is leader of a party would want to imagine that they believe that they could be Prime Minister.'

Farage pictured leaving the ITV studios after appearing on the show
Farage pictured leaving the ITV studios after appearing on the show
But Mr Farage insisted: 'If I'd answered that by saying OK Ukip are going to sweep the board, win the general election, and I'll be Prime Minister, I'd have been laughed out of the room. Ukip is not going to win the election. What Ukip is going to do is win a number of MPs.

'And given no-one is going to have a majority we might just find ourselves in a position where nick Clegg was five years ago if we do that I'll do a better job than Nick Clegg did.'

He went on: 'What I want to do is radically change politics, I think something's happened in this country. The 7 per cent of people in Britain, boys and girls, whose parents are wealthy enough to send them to public school are now dominating the country in a way we have never seen before. Sport, the arts, media, politics, and the rest are being left behind.

'And the gap between the wealthy and those without gets bigger with every single year.

'What I am trying to do is to do something that would change that and give people an even break.'

Asked about women coming back in to the workplace after having a baby, Mr Farage said: 'If you are a doctor, a lawyer, a researcher and you are a woman, you have a baby, you take six months or a year off, you come back, you are not disadvantaged at all in that job.

'But there are other jobs in which if you take six months off and come back you find yourself actually behind the rest of the pack and earning less money. That is a fact of life.

'It's difficult to change that. There are changes, there are now a million men who now opt to stay at home and bring the kids up. So there are some quite big changes that are taking place.'

Schoolboy, 11, drowned in canal after slipping while playing game of dare to walk across gas pipe -...

Nigel Farage grilled on Loose Women | Daily Mail Online

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
-Panellists ask him about smoking, drinking and the state of his marriage
We'd better do what those awful Loose Women harridans say and not vote for Ukip because - SHOCK HORROR! - Mr Farage likes enjoying a pint and a cigarette in the pub! What an awfully white working class thing to be doing!

Nadia Sawalha says she would give him a 'telling off' for boozing
If I were Mr Farage I would have just told Sawalha that me enjoying a pint down the pub after I've been working all day has got f*ck all to do with her and that she'd be better off being far less patronising and condescending. Who does she think she is? Mr Farage's mother?

-Linda Robson asks: Why are you the most hated man in Britain?
He isn't the most hated man in Britain. Why Robson thinks he is is something we should probably be asking her.

The Loose Women harridans are just the latest mob to try and smear Ukip, but it just doesn't seem to be working.

Ukip is now MORE popular than LABOUR: Nigel Farage gets polls boost as Ukip surges ahead

NIGEL Farage won a fresh boost today when an opinion poll pronounced his party the second most popular after the Conservatives, pushing Labour into third place.

The YouGov survey also found that nearly three times as many of those asked thought the UK Independence Party leader would be the best Prime Minister compared with Labour's Ed Miliband.

The findings, which had 38 per cent of those surveyed backing the Tories, 28 per cent Ukip and 25 per cent Labour, came after former Tory MP Mark Reckless became Ukip's second elected MP in the Rochester and Strood by-election.

While more general voter surveys had Labour just ahead or tied with the Tories with Ukip in third place and the Lib Dems in fourth, the findings will deepen gloom in Mr Miliband's ranks.His party is bitterly divided after the ill-judged Twitter photograph posted by senior MP Emily Thornberry which was seen as sneering at white van drivers and people who display England flags.

PA Wire Nigel Farage (centre) and MP Douglas Carswell (right) join Mark Reckless on his successful campaign

The London MP was forced to quit as Shadow Attorney General on Thursday night but the row rumbles on. Veteran Labour MP Diane Abbott criticised Mr Miliband for sacking Ms Thornberry from his top team.

Ukip is now more popular than Labour: Nigel Farage Ukip surges ahead in latest poll | Politics | News | Daily Express

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Holy crap! C&P vs C&P......it's kind of like that old Spy vs Spy from Mad Magazine......except with a lot more scrolling.