The video of an Israeli cop shooting an Arab citizen that has rocked the country

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The video of an Israeli cop shooting an Arab citizen that has rocked the country

JERUSALEM — It is not unusual for Israeli security forces to shoot Palestinian terrorism suspects. In the past month, it has happened three times in Jerusalem, a city roiling with anger and violence.

It is also not unusual for the incidents to be captured on video. But the grainy black-and-white recording of police shooting a man in the Galilee early Saturday has lit a fuse in Israel, sparking praise and condemnation, and raising bigger questions about police conduct, allegiance to the state and who, really, is an Israeli and who is not.

Israeli news stations on Sunday night were analyzing the video footage frame by frame. Everybody has an opinion.

The recording is sensational, in part, because the man shot by the Israeli police is an Israeli citizen who happens to be a Muslim and Arab.

Arabs account for more than 20 percent of the population of the Jewish state of Israel. Although they are guaranteed full rights, some complain that they are treated as second-class citizens, while many Jewish citizens view their Arab counterparts with suspicion. (Arab citizens, for example, do not have to serve in the Israeli army. Then again, neither do ultra-Orthodox Jews.)

The latest incident began early Saturday morning when Israeli police went into an Arab village of Kafr Kanna in northern Israel to arrest a man authorities say had discharged a stun grenade in a feud between Palestinian clans.

The video, which you can see below, shows 22-year-old Khayr al-Din Hamdan run up to the police vehicle and stab at the windows and doors.

As the officers get out of the car, Hamdan turns away from the vehicle and appears to be retreating. The police aim and fire and Hamdan goes down.

Then they drag him by his arms, bundle him into the back seat and speed away. The entire incident takes place in a minute. Hamdan died later at a hospital.

“Where did they put the mortally wounded young man in that cramped space?” Haaretz columnist Oudeh Basharat asked, expressing disgust. “A likely assumption is that they put him on the floor of the car, at the feet of the officers who had shot him moments before.”

After the shooting, police told their attorneys that they thought their lives were in danger, that Hamdan was wielding a knife (an object of some kind is visible in the video), and that they had fired a warning shot, which is not visible in the recording.

Videos are tricky evidence, as any investigator will say. The source of the viral video clip is unclear — although no one has disputed that it is real. It appears to have first surfaced on the Arab Israeli news Web site Panet.

The video appears at first to suggest that the police office who alights the vehicle on the passenger side is the shooter. But attorneys for the police have told Israeli media that the officer in the driver’s seat (who is just barely visible as a shadow at the top of the frame) shot Hamdan.

The Justice Ministry is investigating the incident and the recording.

“They killed him in cold blood because he was an Arab,” Hamdan’s father told the Israeli newspaper Maariv. “If he had been a Jew, it wouldn’t have ended that way.”

The video sparked protests in Kfar Kanna, which included clashes between young demonstrators who launched rocks and fireworks at police, who responded with tear gas.

A general strike among Israeli Arabs was announced by the Higher Arab Monitoring Committee on Sunday and protests continued into Monday, with shops and schools shuttered.

Reaction from Israeli politicians has been swift — and has reflected deep divisions between Jews and Arabs.

Economy Minister Naftali Bennett, the third most powerful member of the governing coalition, said, “A crazed Arab terrorist attacked a police car with a knife in an attempt to murder the officers inside.”

He praised the officers for doing their job.

Ahmad Tibi, an Arab member of the Israeli parliament, said the police officers killed Hamdan, who posed no danger to them. “This is a street-gang-style assassination,” he said.

(video at link)

The video of an Israeli cop shooting an Arab citizen that has rocked the country - The Washington Post

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Guess he shouldn't have run up to the window and attempted to stab through it. If the window had been down, he probably would have stabbed the cop, so one thing he is not is innocent.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
It's wrong because Israel. Get it?

I saw an blurb on MSN that said an Israeli woman and another were stabbed (today?). In retaliation, or just another in a long line of violence over there?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Absolutely justified shooting.

There are three things that must fall into place for lethal force to be used......

1. Intent. The guy smashing at the windows with a knife shows intent.
2. Weapon. The knife.
3. Delivery system or ability. He was on his feet and close.

Police and armed guards are taught they should shoot a man armed with an edged weapon if he is within 7 metres (21 feet) It takes only a second or two for a fit male to cover that distance.

I used to teach this stuff to armed guards (armored cars)

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I can't keep that muddled mess straight to be honest.

You got that one right, SLM.........a muddled mess it be.:-(

But that and the Washington Post's love of hyperbole keeps us entertained.

"Rocks the nation"..........Sorry........."rocked the country"........gotta keep it straight.

Aw jeez, Louise..........

Last edited:

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
... oi.

First off, the guy was bloody stupid for rushing up to the vehicle and trying to stab it.

But what I don't get is this: if he was really intent on stabbing the police inside, why did he shut the door when the police tried to leave? Why not wait for the police to open the door and stab them then? Why did he shove the door back closed and stab at the window?

Why, when the doors opened up again, did he stop and back away?

I don't know what the laws are over there so how this might play out who knows.

Yeah he attacked the vehicle (poor thing, was it the wrong make or color or did the sound of the engine offend him somehow for him to want to stab it?) but IMO, watching the video, I think it was all gesture. I don't think he wanted to truly engage the men inside at all. Was he threatening? Absolutely. Were they in danger? If others were involved possibly, it looks like others were there but we only see one person in the video "attack" so that's all I'm going by. BUT, they had their windows up (shatter proof? I didn't see any glass breaking) and coming from this one person, I think the 'danger' was actually minimum if they had stayed inside.

I think when they got out and he backed off, they should have either arrested him or tazed his behind and hauled him off to jail. There was NO reason to kill him, or shoot and injure him so he died. Sadly these people will likely get away with the man's murder because they're Jewish and he's an Arab.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
... oi.

First off, the guy was bloody stupid for rushing up to the vehicle and trying to stab it.

But what I don't get is this: if he was really intent on stabbing the police inside, why did he shut the door when the police tried to leave? Why not wait for the police to open the door and stab them then? Why did he shove the door back closed and stab at the window?

Why, when the doors opened up again, did he stop and back away?

I don't know what the laws are over there so how this might play out who knows.

Yeah he attacked the vehicle (poor thing, was it the wrong make or color or did the sound of the engine offend him somehow for him to want to stab it?) but IMO, watching the video, I think it was all gesture. I don't think he wanted to truly engage the men inside at all. Was he threatening? Absolutely. Were they in danger? If others were involved possibly, it looks like others were there but we only see one person in the video "attack" so that's all I'm going by. BUT, they had their windows up (shatter proof? I didn't see any glass breaking) and coming from this one person, I think the 'danger' was actually minimum if they had stayed inside.

I think when they got out and he backed off, they should have either arrested him or tazed his behind and hauled him off to jail. There was NO reason to kill him, or shoot and injure him so he died. Sadly these people will likely get away with the man's murder because they're Jewish and he's an Arab.

This is a case where a taser would have been perfect.....but I doubt they had one.

They could not let a psychotically enraged man armed with a knife just run off to stab someone else.

Once out of the car to arrest him, they were in danger.

A perfectly justified shooting.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
This is a case where a taser would have been perfect.....but I doubt they had one.

Agreed, sadly.

They could not let a psychotically enraged man armed with a knife just run off to stab someone else.

Also agree with this. Their job as officers is to protect people.

Once out of the car to arrest him, they were in danger.

A perfectly justified shooting.

Now this I disagree with. Point one: he was in retreat once the officers got out. Point two: there were at least four(?) officers to one of him, they had guns, he had a questionable stabbing object (knife, rock, hard to tell). Point three: Even if he had gone after one of the cops, there were still three others who could deal with him (at which point yes, shooting was an option).

With all three points as mentioned, no, they were so not justified in shooting this crazy person. Saying that is like saying any cop from now on is justified in shooting anyone once they step out of a vehicle because they "might" be in danger. Unless the other person has a gun themselves, a bomb or a bloody missile launcher giving very clear evidence of danger to the officer, lethal force isn't necessary and shouldn't be used.

Stupidity is not a reason to be killed.