Product placement for pc imbeciles

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Tick Flicks

So, Lawrence of Arabia walks into a gay bar in the Nefud Desert with a paraplegic, a disadvantaged youth, an angry Women's Studies student, a quadroon, a tranny...
Movie companies have been told they must meet new targets for ethnic minority, gay and female characters on screen to be eligible for future funding from the British Film Institute. The BFI, Britain's largest public film fund, announced a "Three Ticks" scheme to ensure diversity in films and behind the scenes as it set out new rules for funding.​
Cheezy crisps on a bike..
On screen, at least one lead character must be "positively reflecting diversity", with the story more likely to receive funding if it "explicitly and predominantly explores issues of identity relating to ethnicity or national origins, a specific focus on women, people with disabilities, sexual identity, age and people from a socially disadvantaged background".​
Good. Because there aren't nearly enough tiresome, pc-propaganda lectures disguised as films.

Tick Flicks - Small Dead Animals

British Film Institute tells filmmakers to tick new diversity targets or miss funding - Telegraph

britain, fuk nar

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
the intent was good...the result will not be

The intent is always good, the intent is never the problem. The problem is where good intentions try to accelerate a social change, a change that does actually come about naturally, over time, with education and information.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
How do you carry a tranny by yourself. Them things is heavy.
Stick shift ain't too bad, but those automatics........Sheesh !!

Kinda going PC overboard, no ? :roll:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The intent is always good, the intent is never the problem. The problem is where good intentions try to accelerate a social change, a change that does actually come about naturally, over time, with education and information.
agreed... art is not supposed to be forced it's supposed to be inspired...you can't mandate and regulate inspiration

90% of most movies these days are drek anyway with the sole purpose of making money not telling a story while crafting perfection

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
agreed... art is not supposed to be forced it's supposed to be inspired...you can't mandate and regulate inspiration

90% of most movies these days are drek anyway with the sole purpose of making money not telling a story while crafting perfection

Before we even can get into the whole Art Imitating Life/Life Imitating Art debate, I'm looking at the mindset behind a mandate such as this. First of all, the thread title is correct, it is treating segments of society as if they are products being placed in a effort to subliminally inspire an audience into accepting them. Wanting an audience, wanting society in general, to be more accepting is not a bad thing, but going about it in this manner is because it is more likely to produce backlash in those to whom it would be targeting. It does nothing to affect real change and sometimes I really think the mindset that comes up with notions like this one does more to prolong the battle against change.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Before we even can get into the whole Art Imitating Life/Life Imitating Art debate, I'm looking at the mindset behind a mandate such as this. First of all, the thread title is correct, it is treating segments of society as if they are products being placed in a effort to subliminally inspire an audience into accepting them. Wanting an audience, wanting society in general, to be more accepting is not a bad thing, but going about it in this manner is because it is more likely to produce backlash in those to whom it would be targeting. It does nothing to affect real change and sometimes I really think the mindset that comes up with notions like this one does more to prolong the battle against change.
which brings to mind that old saying "token black" which is a good example of why they should not do this and yes it has a backlash effect and thus it is damaging and will cause a set back.

it is disappointing

I find their tv to be of a much higher quality than most of our series precisely because of the nature of the script and character development... part of it of course is their best actors are Shakespearean trained but then I guess our best are too ..but we are losing that edge...now they will too if it lowers their production quality...can you imagine Anthony Hopkins in some formatted movie...it doesn't lend itself to greatness....

their average was always deeper and less formatted than our average crap on this side of the pond

let's see what this does to creativity and freedom of art

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
which brings to mind that old saying "token black" which is a good example of why they should not do this and yes it has a backlash effect and thus it is damaging and will cause a set back.

it is disappointing

Exactly. Their own worst enemy in many ways.

I find their tv to be of a much higher quality than most of our series precisely because of the nature of the script and character development... part of it of course is their best actors are Shakespearean trained but then I guess our best are too ..but we are losing that edge...now they will too if it lowers their production quality...can you imagine Anthony Hopkins in some formatted movie...it doesn't lend itself to greatness....

their average was always deeper and less formatted than our average crap on this side of the pond

let's see what this does to creativity and freedom of art
It depends. Somethings I've found I enjoy more the original versions, but others I've enjoyed the remakes. All in the Family comes to mind as an example of the latter but I enjoyed (I think it was called) Man About The House over Three's Company. One could say though that the initial ideas and story development is of a higher quality out of the UK and Europe in general over "hollyweird" originals and adaptations usually bring that piece with them as well as perhaps being more culturally relevant to a North American audience. (Some things are just more steeped in specific cultural traditions in a way that, unless you were from there you just won't 'get it'. Can take away from the enjoyment of a show sometimes. )

But I do think that HBO, Showtime, etc has done well to increase the content quality of television.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
yes HBO is everything regular TV isn't (for the most part) there are always exceptions...AMC for example, they took Walking Dead on just like it was when other networks wanted to water it down and remove the zombies for prime hours...luckily when they were selling it, they stuck to their truth and didn't sell out

the result of that would have been one of your regular cr*p shows instead of the edgy thriller we have come to love and expect...they need to "get it"...there is a reason for the cult following of the show...people want better, will follow better, will support better, but will settle for less

remember when Rogers was going to boot AMC...omg...they got twitters, and threatened and harassed and their idea of dropping AMC vanished over night...the consumer does have power...they just want us to believe we do not

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
yes HBO is everything regular TV isn't (for the most part) there are always exceptions...AMC for example, they took Walking Dead on just like it was when other networks wanted to water it down and remove the zombies for prime hours...luckily when they were selling it, they stuck to their truth and didn't sell out

the result of that would have been one of your regular cr*p shows instead of the edgy thriller we have come to love and expect...they need to "get it"...there is a reason for the cult following of the show...people want better, will follow better, will support better, but will settle for less

remember when Rogers was going to boot AMC...omg...they got twitters, and threatened and harassed and their idea of dropping AMC vanished over night...the consumer does have power...they just want us to believe we do not

I think it's carryover from the higher quality of HBO and Showtime, some of the specialty 'niche' channels realized that there is a market out there for quality programs.

Also AMC has Mad Men (which I haven't watched yet but it's up on Netflix!) and it had Breaking Bad too. FX has American Horror Story and Sons of Anarchy. Even Netflix itself has original series that have garnered some acclaim.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I think it's carryover from the higher quality of HBO and Showtime, some of the specialty 'niche' channels realized that there is a market out there for quality programs.

Also AMC has Mad Men (which I haven't watched yet but it's up on Netflix!) and it had Breaking Bad too. FX has American Horror Story and Sons of Anarchy. Even Netflix itself has original series that have garnered some acclaim.
yes, there will always be a market for quality but it is small and doesn't garner mass appeal usually although happily there are tag-ons and that helps the niche grow

If I can't get through the first show after trying it twice I'm usually never going to like it...also few programs can hold me past season three but there have and will be exceptions to that. I am easily bored and hard to keep engaged...but I am like that in all aspects of my life.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
yes, there will always be a market for quality but it is small and doesn't garner mass appeal usually although happily there are tag-ons and that helps the niche grow

Specialty channels don't require mass appeal in order to see decent returns though. Not in the way that traditional network broadcasters do. And to be honest and fair, a lot of specialty channels also turn out 'reality' drek as well.

If I can't get through the first show after trying it twice I'm usually never going to like it...also few programs can hold me past season three but there have and will be exceptions to that. I am easily bored and hard to keep engaged...but I am like that in all aspects of my life.

That's where I find the 10-12 episode season (as opposed to the traditional 20-24 episodes for a regular broadcaster) to be a plus.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Specialty channels don't require mass appeal in order to see decent returns though. Not in the way that traditional network broadcasters do. And to be honest and fair, a lot of specialty channels also turn out 'reality' drek as well.
fully agree...here's a question for you...why don't specialty channels require mass appeal in order to see decent returns and how do they make their $

That's where I find the 10-12 episode season (as opposed to the traditional 20-24 episodes for a regular broadcaster) to be a plus.
for sure...plus it helps to be on here where people review shows and I now know if you or some others recommend a show as something they like then there is a great chance, it's a new show for me to follow.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
fully agree...here's a question for you...why don't specialty channels require mass appeal in order to see decent returns and how do they make their $

Subscription fees I think. Broadcast television, at least in the US, survives solely on ad revenues I believe, specialty channels are a combination of the two, like AMC it has commercials but also will collect subscription fees for cable companies to broadcast it. Channels like HBO and Showtime, again in the US, are commercial free because of a premium subscription rate.

So if you subscribe to a Sci-Fi network in your cable package for example, it stand to reason that sci-fi programming would be something that would continue to keep you subscribing, hence the 'niche' market. On a network like ABC or NBC, they have to appeal to a broader demographic.

At least, that is my understanding of how it generally works.

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
Our first real taste of this new fangled concept of adding gay people into the mix was in the series Torchwood.
Captain Jack Harkness a futuristic gay time traveler with futuristic phenoms kicking about his presence.

lots of guy kissing and grinding, but light weight.

I think it's important for gay youth to be recognized, as normal.
What better way than to normalize gay relationships in movies and telly.

Us old folk do get the feeling of a little too much and the "Please stop knee jerk reaction " kicks in.

Something I honestly tried to convey here last week or so,but some resident bi sexual male here ignored the truth, and went for the lowest common denominator, which has became characteristic of lil Gerryh for us when we read this moron. I suspect lil Gerryh is trying to come to terms with his sexuality and it makes him an angry little bastard online. Or he.... he is just retarded.

The thing is we need to aspire to our sensibilities and put down the propaganda that was ingrained in our persons since arriving on this planet of need.

For us older folk it's hard , but one must truly try as His Illustriousness The Count Lothian always does.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
If the movie is worth watching it will not require government funding.

New mental note: avoid films made in Britain.

This is very much the archaic thinking we wish to crush, opps haha/strike that/ I mean curb, humanely of course/smile/ of ourse it'a all about tolerance, and you will tolerate it because of course science has proved it right to do so,we must all learn to tolerate the smell of BS in our mustaches cuz it's a rainbow of human and near human progress.

Make peace with the beast, surrender or be punished.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Subscription fees I think. Broadcast television, at least in the US, survives solely on ad revenues I believe, specialty channels are a combination of the two, like AMC it has commercials but also will collect subscription fees for cable companies to broadcast it. Channels like HBO and Showtime, again in the US, are commercial free because of a premium subscription rate.

So if you subscribe to a Sci-Fi network in your cable package for example, it stand to reason that sci-fi programming would be something that would continue to keep you subscribing, hence the 'niche' market. On a network like ABC or NBC, they have to appeal to a broader demographic.

At least, that is my understanding of how it generally works.
thanks so much...it is logical and sounds correct...I had never actually thought about it until you mentioned it.

Our first real taste of this new fangled concept of adding gay people into the mix was in the series Torchwood.
Captain Jack Harkness a futuristic gay time traveler with futuristic phenoms kicking about his presence.

lots of guy kissing and grinding, but light weight.

I think it's important for gay youth to be recognized, as normal.
What better way than to normalize gay relationships in movies and telly.

Us old folk do get the feeling of a little too much and the "Please stop knee jerk reaction " kicks in.
you are right here and bring up a point I had discounted...at first when we watched a few programs with men kissing, my guy was over the top freaked out...which did not surprise me...he tends heavily to the right and Evangelical...but he is an anomaly since on a daily, real life basis, he is the most kind hearted and least judgmental person I have ever met. I had forgotten that some of the shows we'd been enjoying had suddenly injected a lot of gay males into them. He was bothered...

I asked why and he asked why do they have to put that in front of me in every scene it takes away from the story. And they had and it did. Then they toned it down and now he doesn't even notice it as long as it is balanced.

so yeah, over doing it...not cool...thrown in just to make things equal, not cool...part of the normal plot...that's cool.

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
thanks so much...it is logical and sounds correct...I had never actually thought about it until you mentioned it.

you are right here and bring up a point I had discounted...at first when we watched a few programs with men kissing, my guy was over the top freaked out...which did not surprise me...he tends heavily to the right and Evangelical...but he is an anomaly since on a daily, real life basis, he is the most kind hearted and least judgmental person I have ever met. I had forgotten that some of the shows we'd been enjoying had suddenly injected a lot of gay males into them. He was bothered...

I asked why and he asked why do they have to put that in front of me in every scene it takes away from the story. And they had and it did. Then they toned it down and now he doesn't even notice it as long as it is balanced.

so yeah, over doing it...not cool...thrown in just to make things equal, not cool...part of the normal plot...that's cool.

Sounds like your fella is a bit like me in this department. It did shock me at first. And to be honest still does.

There was a time when Ricky wasn't allowed to even sit fully clothed on the same bed as Lucy, hence the the twin beds.

We are a product of Hollywood and it's counter parts. If you watch telly or movies it does have an effect on you and the paradigm we live in at the time.

I realize people are gay , sounds childish but when I went to high school it wasn't even on the radar.
Years later I found out so and so is gay and so and so is a lesbian.

We need to understand these people are people and their sexual bent is not something they choose. It's God given , if you will. Or just part of the human and sometimes nature experience.

People don't read anymore. A picture does say a thousand words. Movies are about the only way to get a message to the masses.

Television, hollywood and the like owe it to us that they should help with shaping those that live in front of the screen .

And it is a balance, it's all about balance. Shows are not flooded with sex , why should they flood us with this.

We are in the infancy in coming to terms what we actually are as a species.