Female politician suggests Indian women invited rape with clothing, behaviour

spaminator
Shyamantha Asokan and Angus MacSwan, REUTERS
First posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 08:47 AM EST | Updated: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 09:01 AM EST
NEW DELHI - An Indian female politician and activist has said rape victims may have invited attacks by their clothes and behaviour, fuelling a national debate over a series of incidents of sexual violence against women.
Asha Mirje, a Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader in western Maharashtra state, questioned at a meeting on Tuesday why a 23-year-old physiotherapy student who was gang-raped on a bus in Delhi in 2012 was out late at night.
The student died of her injuries and thousands of people took to the streets in nationwide protests against the prevalence of rape and sexual assault in the world’s largest democracy.
A number of shocking incidents have since been highlighted in Indian media, most recently the case of 20-year-old woman who said she was gang-raped in a rural area of West Bengal in eastern India on the orders of a village court last week.
Mirje, who is a member of the state women’s commission, said in reference to the Delhi assault: “Did Nirbhaya really have go to watch a movie at 11 in the night with her friend?”
“Nirbhaya”, a Hindi word meaning “fearless”, has been widely adopted by the Indian media as a name for the victim.
She also commented on the gang rape of a photojournalist who was on assignment at a disused mill in Mumbai last year, asking why the victim had gone to such an isolated place.
“Rapes take place also because of a woman’s clothes, her behaviour and her presence at inappropriate places,” she said.
Women must be “careful”, she said, and think if they are inviting assault.
Sexual violence has become a huge social and political issue since the Delhi rape and India toughened laws on sex crimes in March last year. Public anger over the poor state of women’s safety in Delhi was one reason that the ruling Congress Party was wiped out in local elections in the city last month.
SWIFT REACTION
Mirje’s party belongs to the Congress-led national coalition government and her comments caused an immediate stir, with several television reports pouring scorn on her.
“Every time such a statement is made by a public figure it justifies rape,” Kavita Krishnan, secretary of the All India Progressive Women’s Association, a lobby group, told Reuters.
“It’s unconscionable that people in public posts make such remarks.”
Even members of her own party distanced themsleves from her remarks. NCP member of parliament Supriya Sule told reporters she was sorry Mirje had made them and that they reflected her personal views, not those of the party.
“She did make a mistake yesterday. She should not have said it,” she said
While Mirje is thought to be the first senior female public figure to make such comments about the Delhi rape, other members of commissions looking after women’s affairs have made similar remarks about less high-profile attacks.
“Mirje is reflecting what is a much larger problem. There are many others who hold such views,” Krishnan said.
Mamata Banerjee, chief minister of West Bengal, initially dismissed a gang rape in her state in 2012 as a fabricated incident aimed at tarnishing her government.
Assaults have tarnished the reputation of a country that has enjoyed growing prosperity in the past decade and is modernising fast. Still, Mirje’s comments were a reminder that conservative and traditional mores are still deeply held by many of its 1.2 billion people, women as well as men.
In the most recent case involving a foreigner, a 51-year-old Danish tourist was gang-raped in the back-packers’ district of Delhi last month by men she asked for directions to her hotel.
Female politician suggests Indian women invited rape with clothing, behaviour | World | News | Toronto Sun (external - login to view)

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminatorView Post

First posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 08:47 AM EST | Updated: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 09:01 AM EST
NEW DELHI - An Indian female politician and activist has said rape victims may have invited attacks by their clothes and behaviour, fuelling a national debate over a series of incidents of sexual violence against women.
Asha Mirje, a Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader in western Maharashtra state, questioned at a meeting on Tuesday why a 23-year-old physiotherapy student who was gang-raped on a bus in Delhi in 2012 was out late at night.
The student died of her injuries and thousands of people took to the streets in nationwide protests against the prevalence of rape and sexual assault in the world’s largest democracy.
A number of shocking incidents have since been highlighted in Indian media, most recently the case of 20-year-old woman who said she was gang-raped in a rural area of West Bengal in eastern India on the orders of a village court last week.
Mirje, who is a member of the state women’s commission, said in reference to the Delhi assault: “Did Nirbhaya...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post

I don't give a sh*t if the woman is walking around stark naked, that is no excuse to assault her.

shadowshiv
Free Thinker
+3
Perhaps these politicians and judges need to just keep their big mouths shut.

Blackleaf
+1 / -2
Mrs Mirje is, of course, right.

It's refreshing to see a politician saying it as it is and speaking common sense in this day and age of political correctness often triumphing over common sense.

Such sensible comments may get the internet's self-righteous brigade to post their PC mock outrage en masse, as this thread shows (such people allow PC thinking to override common sense and what is really happening in the world), but they are welcome comments nontheless.
Last edited by Blackleaf; Feb 6th, 2014 at 04:28 AM..

El Barto
+7
You can see how deeply rooted it is in the mind and hearts that women are considered less than second class when even the women feel they don't deserve better.

Walter
+8 / -1
#6  Top Rated Post
Why don't all those Muslim and Hindu women have a **** walk like the ****s do in the West?

Walter
+8 / -1
#7  Top Rated Post
Why don't all those Muslim and Hindu women have a **** walk like the ****s do in the West?

Walter
+8 / -1
#8  Top Rated Post

Blackleaf
Sorry sisters, but girls who get blind drunk ARE risking rape | Mail Online

Offensive? The poster warning against binge drinking

karrie
No Party Affiliation
+4
Mirje, who is a member of the state women’s commission, said in reference to the Delhi assault: “Did Nirbhaya really have go to watch a movie at 11 in the night with her friend?”

This is extremely telling about how far they're digging for excuses to blame the victim.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

**** = s l u t

Blackleaf
+1 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

This is extremely telling about how far they're digging for excuses to blame the victim.

Sorry sisters, but girls who get blind drunk ARE risking rape | Mail Online

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
Swift executions for rapists would soon cure that BS. Of course if the pol ice were doing their job of protecting the innocent instead of harassing motorists for doing a couple of K over the speed limit or eating while driving and busting kids for smoking a joint there would be far fewer problems.

El Barto
+2 / -1
Walter = a n a l

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+3
Making for BLs only opportunity to get laid.

karrie
No Party Affiliation
+7
I can't even fathom being so cretinous as to imply that being out late at night means she brought being gang raped to death, on herself.

El Barto
+1
Awww Wally loves to post with his bitter attitude but hates to be told what he is?
awwww must of hurt you poor feelings , I thought you said some where liberals were sensitive?
are you a closet lib Wally?

55Mercury
+1
lol

this thread is seriously ****ed up

24 repeated posts on my browser in this thread. #6 thru 29

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Making for BLs only opportunity to get laid.

Oh yeah. I forgot. Early 21st century women in the PC feminista-controlled Western world cannot be held responsible, even partially, for their actions. Anything that a woman or girl does today that is wrong, or anything that happens to her, she cannot be held responsible for. It is all solely the responsibility of males, the only people in the West today who can be responsible for their actions.

A man walking down a dark alley at night wearing a load of gold jewellery? It's partly his responsibility when he gets mugged for not showing more common sense.

A man leaves his Aston Martin on his driveway all night rather than putting in the garage? It's partly his responsibility when he wakes up in the morning and it isn't there, because of his lack of common sense.

A young woman walks down a dark lonely street at night wearing nothing but a boob tube and a mini skirt up to her nostrils? She bears no responsibility whatsoever when she gets raped because women in the Western world today don't have to be responsible for anything or use any common sense. Only men and boys today can be responsible for anything and, as such, only men and boys have to use their brains, think, and show common sense.

Yes. I know how it works.
Last edited by Blackleaf; Feb 6th, 2014 at 02:09 PM..

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+3
We are a society of laws that came into being for the very reasons these people are now
becoming aware of as their society changes. Women should not be held responsible
because some weak minded man cannot control his actions. Being out late at night is not
a excuse for others to rape her. She should not be condemned by what she wares for the
same reason, If you live in a society of laws then all are equal under those laws and all are
subject to obeying criminal law. Because someone wears a short skirt or they are left
handed should make no difference they should expect to be safe in the society. And protected
by the laws of society.
Backward thinking has always been with us and is to some extent here in North America in many
other ways. Take low wage service jobs. Women and young people were discriminated against
because women had a man to support them and children were entering the workforce and lived
at home. That was an excuse to pay them less and treat them differently.
Today some of that still exists, but we have streamlined it by saying "These are entry level positions"
On one hand they say its assumed people won't always work at one of these jobs.
in the same breath they are saying we provide training programs to keep people working in
the service industry.
In India and some other countries they are merely catching up to us and entering the debate we had
decades ago.
In America the same worn out arguments are used that were used in Canada during the Medicare debates
and we in North America still find ways to discriminate against those in some job sectors we all have work
to do. But no, no one should be allowed to criminally attack anyone in such a manner as rape as one example.

Sal
No Party Affiliation
+5
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

sadly I don't think you do know how it works. I seriously hope that you have already made the decision to remain single life long. No woman would tolerate your narrow view points unless she was extremely emotionally unbalanced.

That said if I were you I would be taking some lessons on nutrition and how to cook for yourself in a healthy manner and the best way to clean your flat otherwise, you won't see 50.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
+3

Mrs Mirje is, of course, right.

It's refreshing to see a politician saying it as it is and speaking common sense in this day and age of political correctness often triumphing over common sense.

Such sensible comments may get the internet's self-righteous brigade to post their PC mock outrage en masse, as this thread shows (such people allow PC thinking to override common sense and what is really happening in the world), but they are welcome comments nontheless.

Do you purposefully post such idiotic stances or does it come naturally? lol
Rape is by far not a sexual issue, but a controlling and violence issue. That's a known fact. So Mirje and you are pretty much separated from reason and known fact.
Frackin funny!

So? That's one woman's opinion. Mirje has the same opinion. Opinions don't make it fact.

I can't even fathom being so cretinous as to imply that being out late at night means she brought being gang raped to death, on herself.

Wifey has a word for those that "think" like that - troglodytes.
Dictionary.com says:
"trog·lo·dyte [trog-luh-dahyt] Show IPA
noun
a prehistoric cave dweller.
a person of degraded, primitive, or brutal character.
a person living in seclusion.
a person unacquainted with affairs of the world.
an animal living underground."

and sometimes more than one definition fits a person. lol

Quote: Originally Posted by 55MercuryView Post

lol

this thread is seriously ****ed up

24 repeated posts on my browser in this thread. #6 thru 29

Well, so far I've only noticed Walter stuttering.

Oh yeah. I forgot. Early 21st century women in the PC feminista-controlled Western world cannot be held responsible, even partially, for their actions. Anything that a woman or girl does today that is wrong, or anything that happens to her, she cannot be held responsible for. It is all solely the responsibility of males, the only people in the West today who can be responsible for their actions.

A man walking down a dark alley at night wearing a load of gold jewellery? It's partly his responsibility when he gets mugged for not showing more common sense.

A man leaves his Aston Martin on his driveway all night rather than putting in the garage? It's partly his responsibility when he wakes up in the morning and it isn't there, because of his lack of common sense.
A young woman walks down a dark lonely street at night wearing nothing but a boob tube and a mini skirt up to her nostrils? She bears no responsibility whatsoever when she gets raped because women in the Western world today don't have to be responsible for anything or use any common sense. Only men and boys today can be responsible for anything and, as such, only men and boys have to use their brains, think, and show common sense.

The highlighted bit is flatout bullsh|t.

Quote:

Obviously not. And it's quite obvious how your tiny little mind works. 11 PM isn't late. It's a pretty common time for movies to end. And how would you know what the girl on the bus was wearing? She was with her boyfriend and he was beaten till he had broken bones. It's pretty obvious the men who perped this incident had no self-control and no self-respect.

karrie
No Party Affiliation
+4
you know what, mods, I've had it. I put BL on ignore ages ago when he'd made it clear, yet again, that women were inferior. Women are manipulative. Women are a sad copy of men. Women are beneath discussion. Gays should have been wiped out. The filth and bile he spews got too toxic to put up with, so on ignore he went.

but to sit here, and say that women bring it on themselves when they get raped to death after a movie, or gang raped as village justice... This is beyond what I'm willing to sit silently by and let wash up on my shoes. No amount of ignoring it, excuses it. Andem, enjoy the internet traffic he generates you. It's no longer a calibre of traffic that I'm willing to associate with.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
+2
Way to go, Blackhead. Now I know why wifey won't come back.
Last edited by L Gilbert; Feb 6th, 2014 at 10:03 PM..

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+3
Well it was nice around here for a week at least. Didn't really think it would take too long for things to go in the toilet again though.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1

Are you talking about being sensible or being at fault? Of course a beautiful woman walking alone after dark down an alley frequented by sex maniacs is not being sensible, but that is much different from being responsible for being gang raped. Same thing if you leave your Lamborgini unlocked with the keys in the ignition in the wrong end of town after dark, you are being very stupid but you can't be charged with any crime. You once said you were a Mensa member.................was there a coupon in a Corn Flakes box?

Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Way to go, Blackhead. Now I know why wifey won't come back.

A little respect for the Mensa member, eh? - - - -
Last edited by JLM; Feb 7th, 2014 at 12:00 AM..

tankNZ
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminatorView Post

Mirje, who is a member of the state women’s commission, said in reference to the Delhi assault: “Did Nirbhaya...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Wow...

El Barto

you know what, mods, I've had it. I put BL on ignore ages ago when he'd made it clear, yet again, that women were inferior. Women are manipulative. Women are a sad copy of men. Women are beneath discussion. Gays should have been wiped out. The filth and bile he spews got too toxic to put up with, so on ignore he went.

but to sit here, and say that women bring it on themselves when they get raped to death after a movie, or gang raped as village justice... This is beyond what I'm willing to sit silently by and let wash up on my shoes. No amount of ignoring it, excuses it. Andem, enjoy the internet traffic he generates you. It's no longer a calibre of traffic that I'm willing to associate with.

here here !!!!

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+1

I would seriously like everyone to think long and hard about how, each and every time they respond in order to "have a little fun" with him, just how much that further encourages more of his filth and bile. And just realize that this is going to end up being the ultimate result.

El Barto
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

I would seriously like everyone to think long and hard about how, each and every time they respond in order to "have a little fun" with him, just how much that further encourages more of his filth and bile. And just realize that this is going to end up being the ultimate result.

This what I hate about online discussions. It is a magnifying glass that bring out your true nature that you kept bottle up in the real world. If they are really like that in real life I am all for mercy killing :P

JLM
No Party Affiliation

Hey, Karrie, remember it's only HIS opinion and has nothing to do with the truth! Remember the old French philosopher, Voltaire..........."Although I don't agree with what you say, I'll defend to the death your right to say it".

Having said that he's still a pr!ck! -

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by El BartoView Post

This what I hate about online discussions. It is a magnifying glass that bring out your true nature that you kept bottle up in the real world. If they are really like that in real life I am all for mercy killing :P

I like reality, and in reality the world is made up of all kinds. There are, amongst what I truly believe to be a vast majority of balanced, reasonable people, some true hate mongers. Now there also may be times when what looks like hate is just a mask of ignorance or even fear, but after a certain point there can be no doubt. They may hate for different reasons, but hate is hate, negativity is negativity. I don't believe we do ourselves or even them a favour by silencing them, but I do think we have a responsibility (overall in the general scheme of society) to confront them. Shine a great big old spot light on them and say "this is wrong and this is why it's wrong". Because that's how change is effected. For us and sometimes even for them.

Now having said that I do also think sometimes we simply reach a point where enough is enough. At that point it becomes our responsibility to stop trying to negotiate because we should have learned by this point that negotiation simply doesn't work with some. That is the point I'm trying to make as far as replying and continuing to engage; it's simply nothing more than failure to communicate at this juncture.