Iran, six world powers agree to deal opening Islamic Republic’s nuclear program from

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Iran, six world powers agree to deal opening Islamic Republic’s nuclear program from Jan. 20

Iran has agreed to limit uranium enrichment and to open its nuclear program to daily inspection by international experts starting Jan. 20, setting the clock running on a six-month deadline for a final nuclear agreement, officials said.

In exchange, the Islamic Republic will get a relaxation of the financial sanctions that have been crippling its economy.

The announcement that Iran and six world powers had agreed on the plan for implementing an interim agreement came first from Iranian officials and was later confirmed elsewhere. Some U.S. lawmakers have been leery of the agreement, calling for tougher sanctions against Iran, rather than any loosening of controls.

Iran’s official IRNA news agency on Sunday quoted Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi as saying the deal, which sets the terms of a landmark agreement reached in November, would take effect from Jan. 20. IRNA said Iran will grant the United Nations’ watchdog — the International Atomic Energy Agency — access to its nuclear facilities and its centrifuge production lines to confirm it is complying with terms of the deal.

Araghchi later told state television that some $4.2 billion in seized oil revenue would be released under the deal. Senior officials in President Barack Obama’s administration put the total relief figure at $7 billion.

In a statement, Obama welcomed the deal, saying it “will advance our goal of preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.”

“I have no illusions about how hard it will be to achieve this objective, but for the sake of our national security and the peace and security of the world, now is the time to give diplomacy a chance to succeed,” Obama said.

Iran, six world powers agree to deal opening Islamic Republic’s nuclear program from Jan. 20 - The Globe and Mail

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
If this is our surrender, then that's a pretty damn good deal.

Iranian president is framing this in a way that his people will feel vindicated.

Smart, diplomatic move.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
If this is our surrender, then that's a pretty damn good deal.

Iranian president is framing this in a way that his people will feel vindicated.

Smart, diplomatic move.
The picture below is so absolutely fitting.

The pacifist idiots that supported Chamberlain actually believed that if you gave Germany everything, "peace in out time" would be the result.

Instead, of course, they simply gave Germany time to build the war machine, which cost millions of lives.

Oh, and the people that made Hitler Chancellor of Germany had access to his book.....they just didn't believe he meant it.

Fools, then and now.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The picture below is so absolutely fitting.

The pacifist idiots that supported Chamberlain actually believed that if you gave Germany everything, "peace in out time" would be the result.

Instead, of course, they simply gave Germany time to build the war machine, which cost millions of lives.

Oh, and the people that made Hitler Chancellor of Germany had access to his book.....they just didn't believe he meant it.

Fools, then and now.

How about a friendly bet.

You predict when the takeover will happen.

And I get to serve the crow.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
How about a friendly bet.

You predict when the takeover will happen.

And I get to serve the crow.

"Takeover"??

What "takeover"?.

The nuts are already in control of Iran.

Do you mean other countries??

They are, in effect, ruling Lebanon through Hezbollah, are involved in war by proxy with Israel, and reputedly have troops in Syria supporting the gov't there.

Or do you mean when it becomes clear they are still working towatds nuclear weapons??

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
"Takeover"??

What "takeover"?.

The nuts are already in control of Iran.

Do you mean other countries??

They are, in effect, ruling Lebanon through Hezbollah, are involved in war by proxy with Israel, and reputedly have troops in Syria supporting the gov't there.

Or do you mean when it becomes clear they are still working towards nuclear weapons??

Bombing the facilities would not prevent Iran from going nuclear. It would only slow them down.
The backlash would last generations.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
This agreement is illusory. The best case scenario is that Iran acquires the same status as Japan or South Korea capable of becoming a nuclear weapons state at the flip of a switch. The worst case scenario is that Iran will cheat and become a nuclear weapons state under the guise of a type of hudna. Obama entered into this agreement because attacking Iran is unthinkable and trying to contain Iran is beyond the capability of this generation of Americans. Long story short is that Iran will become a nuclear weapons state. The only reasonable thing for its neighbors to do is to follow suit.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
CONSERVATIVE Pat Buchanan on the new anti-Iran deal:

A Blank Check for War on Iran by Patrick J. Buchanan -- Antiwar.com

"
Today the Senate is about to vote Israel a virtual blank check – for war on Iran. Reads Senate bill S.1881:

If Israel is “compelled to take military action in legitimate self-defense against Iran’s nuclear weapons program,” the United States “should stand with Israel and provide … diplomatic, military and economic support to the Government of Israel in the defense of its territory, people and existence.”

Inserted in that call for U.S. military action to support an Israeli strike on Iran, S.1881 says that, in doing so, we should follow our laws and constitutional procedures ...

Or are we being lied into war again?"

Oh, by the way did I say that Buchanan is a CONSERVATIVE ?

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
The US isn't going to attack Iran, and lacks the ability to fight a series of low level wars necessary to contain Iran. The US should withdraw from the region, and let the nations of the Middle East address the situation.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Ah, paranoia is alive and well.

"Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep.
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away." - Buffalo Springfield.

Y'all need to take a Valium.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
There is a psychological condition called "mirror imaging." I wonder which one of us has it?

You remind me of Al-Musta'sim, the last Abbasid Dynasty Caliph of Baghdad.
Not me. Frankly, I don't give a damn. They can all blow each other to kingdom come. No skin off my azz.

Oh, and I wasn't aiming my comment at you, but at most of the posters on this thread.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
CONSERVATIVE Pat Buchanan on the new anti-Iran deal:

A Blank Check for War on Iran by Patrick J. Buchanan -- Antiwar.com

"
Today the Senate is about to vote Israel a virtual blank check – for war on Iran. Reads Senate bill S.1881:

If Israel is “compelled to take military action in legitimate self-defense against Iran’s nuclear weapons program,” the United States “should stand with Israel and provide … diplomatic, military and economic support to the Government of Israel in the defense of its territory, people and existence.”

Inserted in that call for U.S. military action to support an Israeli strike on Iran, S.1881 says that, in doing so, we should follow our laws and constitutional procedures ...

Or are we being lied into war again?"

Oh, by the way did I say that Buchanan is a CONSERVATIVE ?
F-ck Israel. We have no oligations to protect Israel from real or imaginary boogieman.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Like reality has to be part of this sometime. Yes there is a great concern and
there should be. Having said that there is also a time when someone has to
trust someone or something. Oh I know the Chamberlain letter from Mr Hitler
but that is not the same as this situation. Iran is on the brink of its own meltdown
more that half the population is thirty or under and the young people want to
open the doors again to the world. If the world shuts the door those same young
people will endorse the revolution that started this nonsense in the first place.
The current rulers of Iran are under more pressure than the rest of the world.
When half the population rises up there is hell to pay.
This could be a first step to cooling down the rhetoric and the suspicions of both
sides like the arrangements with Russia.
The American right with people like Buchanan demonstrate the America of fear
rather than the America of hope. The fear mentality is what got America in trouble
and it lost its way. Maybe things can change. I have my concerns but if there can
be peace and some order in that region it would be a lot better than it is now.
Besides if Iran is moderating the radicals will diminish as well. Maybe

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Obama: Now is not time for Iran sanctions

(CNN) - President Barack Obama gave an impassioned speech to Democratic senators gathered at the White House overnight, urging them that new sanctions could damage negotiations with Iran over its nuclear program.

"They discussed Iran and the President made the case for why new sanctions legislation now would hurt us," a senior administration official told CNN Senior White House Correspondent Jim Acosta.

A senator who was in the room Wednesday night called it "one of the most powerful arguments" about the issue he had ever heard from Obama.

Obama's statements during the closed-door session comes as the clock is ticking on an interim nuclear deal with Iran.

A six-month interim agreement formally begins Monday. That deal means that Iran must dismantle or freeze some of its nuclear program and open it to more international inspections in return for limited relief from crippling international sanctions.

Assuming everything goes as planned, further negotiations between Iran and the United States, France, Russia, China, Britain and Germany will seek a broader agreement intended to prevent Tehran from developing a nuclear weapon.

Meanwhile, pro-Israel members of Congress are seeking additional sanctions against Iran that would take effect if the talks break down.

Obama has said sanctions may mess up the pending negotiations.

Obama makes case on why Congress should not add sanctions on Iran - CNN.com