Edward Snowden to deliver Channel 4's Alternative Christmas Message 2013

tay
+3
“A child born today will grow up with no conception of privacy at all.

"They’ll never know what it means to have a private moment to themselves an unrecorded, unanalysed thought.

"And that’s a problem because privacy matters, privacy is what allows us to determine who we are and who we want to be.”

He will end on a positive note though, suggesting: "Together we can find a better balance, end mass surveillance and remind the government that if it really wants to know how we feel asking is always cheaper than spying.”

more

Alternative Christmas Message 2013: Edward Snowden will deliver speech in Channel 4 - Mirror Online

Blackleaf
The left wing Channel Four yet again doing what left wingers are good at doing - acting disgracefully and without any sense of right and wrong.

Sal
No Party Affiliation
+1
privacy does matter and also apparently boredom is important to mind development and emotional stability and creativity..

kids today are allowed to have neither

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

The left wing Channel Four yet again doing what left wingers are good at doing - acting disgracefully and without any sense of right and wrong.

Ah, Blackhead - Britain's version of Wally.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
All this surveillance that the leftys seem to hate so much would not be necessary if there were not so many out there that take advantage of our privacy laws in attempts to destroy our country by violent means.

Kreskin
Has Snowden given any indication to who specifically has been hurt by the NSA? Aside from him, terrorists, and some international politicians? What version of Joe The Plumber in the US has been damaged?

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+1
Snowden did what he did out of conscience some agree with him some do not.
The NSA and other groups have been doing this for years. Spying on people
has been a passtime of the RCMP too, they spied on Tommy Douglas only to
find out he was a nice guy. Honestly I can't believe that there are people who
didn't know the government spies on them just because they have a law against
it means nothing. And the Shout Obama is spying on them, Well Ronald Reagan
spied on them and Clinton spied on them and we could go back to before WWII
and we would find that they spied on people. If you think other wise its time to buy
a new pair of rose coloured glasses.

B00Mer
Libertarian

Snowden delivers Christmas message - YouTube

Go Snowden!!!!

Kreskin
Did he layout how Americans have been damaged? Or I'd just the usual from him?

B00Mer
Libertarian
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

Did he layout how Americans have been damaged? Or I'd just the usual from him?

After the NSA spying on it's own citizens and everyone else around the world, who will take the USA serious on Human Rights Issues.. it does not even respect that of it's own citizens..

It has damaged US relations with it allies.

As far as on a personal level, probably will never hear about that, they are to busy weatherboarding those individuals

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
It must be quite Christmassy in the emerging Soviet Union for this little traitor puke bag.

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

After the NSA spying on it's own citizens and everyone else around the world, who will take the USA serious on Human Rights Issues.. it does not even respect that of it's own citizens..

It has damaged US relations with it allies.

As far as on a personal level, probably will never hear about that, they are to busy weatherboarding those individuals

If every spy in the world started a whiner's blog like Snowden then everyone would hate each other.

I like that the US has restated it's intent to try Snowden. Else he can live in Russia and look over shoulder for the rest of his years.

Spade
Free Thinker
+3 / -1
Thank you, Mr. Snowden.

We need men of conscience.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Thank you, Mr. Snowden.

We need men of conscience.

I find incredulous that there are people who think that having their government spy on them is OK. To me, Snowden is a hero. But I guess "my country, right or wrong" still has some people by the balls. Mindless patriotism is pure evil.

Kreskin
Snowden signed up to be a spy. What did he expect would happen?

shadowshiv
Free Thinker
+3

If every spy in the world started a whiner's blog like Snowden then everyone would hate each other.

I like that the US has restated it's intent to try Snowden. Else he can live in Russia and look over shoulder for the rest of his years.

I find it ironic that he has chosen Russia to be his port of safe harbour. I would think that their government spies on their citizens just as much as (or even more so) than the American one.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+3

Snowden signed up to be a spy. What did he expect would happen?

Did he or was he recruited out of high school and fed a bunch of patriotic BS. Sometimes all that BS becomes obvious after you have been on the job for a while. Sometimes people break out of the brainwashing and grow a conscience. The man is a hero because he put the well being of his fellow citizens ahead of his own. That is the definition of a hero.

Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

I find it ironic that he has chosen Russia to be his port of safe harbour. I would think that their government spies on their citizens just as much as (or even more so) than the American one.

I don't think he planned to stay there. I think it is more like he is stuck there.

Spade
Free Thinker
+5
#18  Top Rated Post
I do not buy the intellectually flaccid argument that :"If one has nothing to hide he has nothing to fear." There are cases duirng the immediate post-war period where the innocent were caught up in state paranoia. Simply read accounts such as "Emma" by June Callwood which documents the obvious.

Another weak argument is the declaration that our "enemies" use these techniques so that we'd better get used to our "side" employing them to keep us "safe" I thought we were the "good guys."

To safeguard our freedoms one of which is the right to privacy is never quixotic, Civilian oversight is necessary to reign in institutions here and abroad. And, if some bring that fact forcefukky to the fore through disclosure, so be it.

Spade
Free Thinker
Sorry, that should read "forcefully"

Blackleaf
I was red-plussed for being right. I think that proves my point.

petros
+2
You were redded for being you which is a wrong that has no remedy.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Ah, Blackhead - Britain's version of Wally.

I'm fed up of the Left Wing Channel 4 and it's depraved and out-of-touch left wing way of thinking.

B00Mer
Libertarian
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

You would think?? So that means your not sure and just trying to taint the waters with a statement with no fact.. you're pissing in a rain storm.

Have you ever been to Russia??

Russia ‘Freer than US’ – Kremlin Official

--------------------------------------------------

How can America consider itself to be a “free” country when it has the highest incarceration rate in the world, higher than all those other “despotic” regimes like Iran, Russia, and China? It would seem that these other “despotic” countries have a higher amount of freedom in some regard.

The relative greater degree and extent of freedom in these countries is borne of a misunderstanding of the true nature of “freedom” as it relates to free will and freedom of choice.

In those “despotic” nations, although one’s freedom of behavior may be more curtained than in America, the freedom of choice still belongs to the individual. In other words, even if the government puts a gun to your head and says “do this or else,” the freedom to decide your own fate is still in your own hands.

You have the freedom to oppose and speak out in those countries, as you do in America. It is simply that the consequences for doing so are harsher. But the freedom to choose to speak out and oppose the government is still yours.

The reason America is less free is because in America your freedom is always in the government’s hands. With the “war on terror,” the government decides if you are opposing the government, not you.

You are not given the choice to decide your own fate according to predetermined and known rules set by the government; the government makes that choice for you. Instead of putting the gun to your head and giving you the freedom of choice to decide your own fate, the American government simply comes up and figuratively shoots you, and you have no say or choice of any kind in the matter. The laws in America are arbitrarily enforced, whereas the more consistent enforcement of harsher laws by society as a whole actually results in a greater degree of freedom for the individual.

If your freedom can be taken away arbitrarily at any time by someone else, you are not truly free. Your freedom is not in your own hands, but someone else’s. You do not own your freedom; someone else does. It is merely an illusion of freedom. A little bit of real freedom that others cannot take away can be real freedom than total freedom that may be revoked at the arbitrary discretion of others. This explains why America, a theoretically “free nation,” can have the highest incarceration rate in the world in comparison to other “less free” countries, and how these other “less free” countries can actually have comparatively more freedom.

We have so many laws in this country that anyone can be arrested for anything and then convicted of it. As one famous Russian prosecutor said: “Give me the man and I will find the crime.”

Freedom is never absolute. With the highest incarceration rate in the world, there is no question that, at least for all those people, America is not a free country is the “quantitative” sense of the word, especially compared to what the American government tells us are not “free” countries like Russia and China. If you examine the qualitative nature of true freedom, you can see too that perhaps America has a lesser quality of freedom than those countries as well.

If freedom is not free, then what is? Slavery?

If freedom is not free, who is charging you to exercise your inalienable right to freedom? You are certainly the one paying for it. But that raises the question: Who are you paying for your freedom? Who is buying and selling your freedom? Who is trading in your freedom?

“Freedom is slavery.”
“Ignorance is strength.”
“War is peace.”

source: Why Russia and China have more freedom than America
Last edited by B00Mer; Dec 26th, 2013 at 01:31 PM..

Spade
Free Thinker
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

I was red-plussed for being right. I think that proves my point.

I received a thumbs down from you. I must be right and you wrong. Thanks for the recantation.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation

Did he or was he recruited out of high school and fed a bunch of patriotic BS. Sometimes all that BS becomes obvious after you have been on the job for a while. Sometimes people break out of the brainwashing and grow a conscience. The man is a hero because he put the well being of his fellow citizens ahead of his own. That is the definition of a hero.

I don't think he planned to stay there. I think it is more like he is stuck there.

GOod place for him.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

GOod place for him.

Ah yes. Mustn't shake up the status quo, now, must we. You like being a wage and tax slave for the ruling class? You like them controlling your life? Sad!

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1

Ah yes. Mustn't shake up the status quo, now, must we. You like being a wage and tax slave for the ruling class? You like them controlling your life? Sad!

Coming from a guy that lives off the taxpayer.
They pay me very good money for doing things I like so why not?

B00Mer
Libertarian

Coming from a guy that lives off the taxpayer.

Wow, personal attacks.. not good form..

They pay me very good money for doing things I like so why not?

Congratulations you found a well paying job that you like.. if we could be all as fortunate as you.. so what do you do??

...anyhow Taxslave here is a link for you..

Peter Van Buren: A Child's Guide to Why NSA Surveillance is Bad

Maybe speaking to your level will help you understand why the NSA spying is bad for US Citizens..

As far as the NSA spying on Canada and the UK as well as other nations... have at'er, spy away. With all those new Canadians being let in and Canada's lacks Immigration.. the US needs to protect itself.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Wow, personal attacks.. not good form..

That's OK. He doesn't know what he is talking about.

bill barilko
+3
Snowden isn't perfect-heroes never are-but there is no doubt he's a hero by any measure of the term.