Edward Snowden to deliver Channel 4's Alternative Christmas Message 2013

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
“A child born today will grow up with no conception of privacy at all.

"They’ll never know what it means to have a private moment to themselves an unrecorded, unanalysed thought.

"And that’s a problem because privacy matters, privacy is what allows us to determine who we are and who we want to be.”

He will end on a positive note though, suggesting: "Together we can find a better balance, end mass surveillance and remind the government that if it really wants to know how we feel asking is always cheaper than spying.”

more

Alternative Christmas Message 2013: Edward Snowden will deliver speech in Channel 4 - Mirror Online

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The left wing Channel Four yet again doing what left wingers are good at doing - acting disgracefully and without any sense of right and wrong.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
privacy does matter and also apparently boredom is important to mind development and emotional stability and creativity..

kids today are allowed to have neither

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
All this surveillance that the leftys seem to hate so much would not be necessary if there were not so many out there that take advantage of our privacy laws in attempts to destroy our country by violent means.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Has Snowden given any indication to who specifically has been hurt by the NSA? Aside from him, terrorists, and some international politicians? What version of Joe The Plumber in the US has been damaged?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Snowden did what he did out of conscience some agree with him some do not.
The NSA and other groups have been doing this for years. Spying on people
has been a passtime of the RCMP too, they spied on Tommy Douglas only to
find out he was a nice guy. Honestly I can't believe that there are people who
didn't know the government spies on them just because they have a law against
it means nothing. And the Shout Obama is spying on them, Well Ronald Reagan
spied on them and Clinton spied on them and we could go back to before WWII
and we would find that they spied on people. If you think other wise its time to buy
a new pair of rose coloured glasses.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Did he layout how Americans have been damaged? Or I'd just the usual from him?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Did he layout how Americans have been damaged? Or I'd just the usual from him?

After the NSA spying on it's own citizens and everyone else around the world, who will take the USA serious on Human Rights Issues.. it does not even respect that of it's own citizens..

It has damaged US relations with it allies.

As far as on a personal level, probably will never hear about that, they are to busy weatherboarding those individuals ;)

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
After the NSA spying on it's own citizens and everyone else around the world, who will take the USA serious on Human Rights Issues.. it does not even respect that of it's own citizens..

It has damaged US relations with it allies.

As far as on a personal level, probably will never hear about that, they are to busy weatherboarding those individuals ;)
If every spy in the world started a whiner's blog like Snowden then everyone would hate each other.

I like that the US has restated it's intent to try Snowden. Else he can live in Russia and look over shoulder for the rest of his years.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Thank you, Mr. Snowden.

We need men of conscience.
I find incredulous that there are people who think that having their government spy on them is OK. To me, Snowden is a hero. But I guess "my country, right or wrong" still has some people by the balls. Mindless patriotism is pure evil.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Snowden signed up to be a spy. What did he expect would happen?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
If every spy in the world started a whiner's blog like Snowden then everyone would hate each other.

I like that the US has restated it's intent to try Snowden. Else he can live in Russia and look over shoulder for the rest of his years.

I find it ironic that he has chosen Russia to be his port of safe harbour. I would think that their government spies on their citizens just as much as (or even more so) than the American one.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Snowden signed up to be a spy. What did he expect would happen?
Did he or was he recruited out of high school and fed a bunch of patriotic BS. Sometimes all that BS becomes obvious after you have been on the job for a while. Sometimes people break out of the brainwashing and grow a conscience. The man is a hero because he put the well being of his fellow citizens ahead of his own. That is the definition of a hero.

I find it ironic that he has chosen Russia to be his port of safe harbour. I would think that their government spies on their citizens just as much as (or even more so) than the American one.
I don't think he planned to stay there. I think it is more like he is stuck there.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I do not buy the intellectually flaccid argument that :"If one has nothing to hide he has nothing to fear." There are cases duirng the immediate post-war period where the innocent were caught up in state paranoia. Simply read accounts such as "Emma" by June Callwood which documents the obvious.

Another weak argument is the declaration that our "enemies" use these techniques so that we'd better get used to our "side" employing them to keep us "safe" I thought we were the "good guys."

To safeguard our freedoms one of which is the right to privacy is never quixotic, Civilian oversight is necessary to reign in institutions here and abroad. And, if some bring that fact forcefukky to the fore through disclosure, so be it.