Indian villagers defeat British billionaire over plans to mine sacred mountain

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
A primitive Indian tribe which worships its remote jungle mountain as a living god has inflicted a humiliating defeat on one of Britain's wealthiest billionaires over his plans to open a vast aluminium ore mine on their land.

Anil Agarwal, who rose from humble beginnings as a scrap metal dealer in one of India's poorest states to a life of luxury in London's Mayfair, had planned to boost his fortune by mining and processing bauxite in Niyamgiri, Orissa, south East India.

He promised to bring new jobs, build schools and hospitals to bring the hill's 'backward' Dongria Kondh tribesmen into the modern world.

His plan however, which was agreed with the Orissa state government as far back as 2005, infuriated the Dongria who saw the proposal as an attack not only on their way of life but also on 'Niyamraja', the sacred hill they worshipped as their provider.

They launched a protest movement to save their verdant tropical forest paradise populated by tigers, leopards and elephants from Mr Agarwal's plans to replace its mango and sal trees with mine shafts and busy roads.

so there...

Indian villagers defeat British billionaire over plans to mine sacred mountain - Telegraph

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Good for them. I hope we can take this as a symbol of courage when it comes time to fight the Northern pipe line in BC. Nothing is sacred in capitalism except the bottom line. Well, you can't eat, breath of drink money. Sooner or later, Canadians will have to wake up to the insanity of their life style and move toward a more sustainable one.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
guess his idea of wealth and their idea of wealth is different

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
That doesn't matter. A few billion in the bank and you'd have the women falling at your feet.
I hope not... I'm female...lol... I want men worshipping me, I'm a goddess...ya know, that type of thing...:D After a certain age no amount of money makes much difference... not in reality.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I hope not... I'm female...lol... I want men worshipping me, I'm a goddess...ya know, that type of thing...:D After a certain age no amount of money makes much difference... not in reality.
Looking at your avatar, you must be a troll goddess. Who needs money if people worship you, eh?

Too many people worship money. They can't see reality for the cash. Calling these people primitive or backwards is just crazy. They have more value in their lives than all the money in the world can buy. Their lives are much more real than any city dweller's.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Good for them. I hope we can take this as a symbol of courage when it comes time to fight the Northern pipe line in BC. Nothing is sacred in capitalism except the bottom line. Well, you can't eat, breath of drink money. Sooner or later, Canadians will have to wake up to the insanity of their life style and move toward a more sustainable one.

They are not as backward as it seems, as they have learned to 'round their lives. And they have also figured out that in India's dog eats little dog treatment of 'out -casts' the mine is worth more to them in the far future than in the corrupted now.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Looking at your avatar, you must be a troll goddess. Who needs money if people worship you, eh?

Too many people worship money. They can't see reality for the cash. Calling these people primitive or backwards is just crazy. They have more value in their lives than all the money in the world can buy. Their lives are much more real than any city dweller's.
troll-goddess, I like it, no I loves it...primitive is relative, I think carrying guns and shooting in the streets is primitive, running around barely dressed in nature, living with extended family and worshiping a mountain seems okey dokey to me, not that I would want to do it personally understand, I've been too conditioned...I worship my concrete walls and keurig...

it's all relative

live and let live

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
troll-goddess, I like it, no I loves it...primitive is relative, I think carrying guns and shooting in the streets is primitive, running around barely dressed in nature, living with extended family and worshiping a mountain seems okey dokey to me, not that I would want to do it personally understand, I've been too conditioned...I worship my concrete walls and keurig...

So run around barely dressed within your concrete walls sipping your Keurig. Works for me.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
So run around barely dressed within your concrete walls sipping your Keurig. Works for me.
this works better, trust me:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
A primitive Indian tribe which worships its remote jungle mountain as a living god has inflicted a humiliating defeat on one of Britain's wealthiest billionaires over his plans to open a vast aluminium ore mine on their land.

Anil Agarwal, who rose from humble beginnings as a scrap metal dealer in one of India's poorest states to a life of luxury in London's Mayfair, had planned to boost his fortune by mining and processing bauxite in Niyamgiri, Orissa, south East India.

He promised to bring new jobs, build schools and hospitals to bring the hill's 'backward' Dongria Kondh tribesmen into the modern world.

His plan however, which was agreed with the Orissa state government as far back as 2005, infuriated the Dongria who saw the proposal as an attack not only on their way of life but also on 'Niyamraja', the sacred hill they worshipped as their provider.

They launched a protest movement to save their verdant tropical forest paradise populated by tigers, leopards and elephants from Mr Agarwal's plans to replace its mango and sal trees with mine shafts and busy roads.

so there...

Indian villagers defeat British billionaire over plans to mine sacred mountain - Telegraph
hhmm Indian villagers vs. billious billionaire; easy to see who's the wisest of the two - the ones who won. :D
I'll take primitive wise people over billious billionaire, who'd likely stab your 6 given the chance, scam you outta your goodies, and then say, "well, if you'd had as much money as I do, then you could put up a fight. So this serves you right and you've learned a lesson".
Probably takes a lot less stress to figure out how to cook your monkeybrains for supper than to figure out who's the likeliest sucker to amalgamate or take over.

Last edited:

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
hhmm Indian villagers vs. billious billionaire; easy to see who's the wisest of the two - the ones who won. :D
I'll take primitive wise people over billious billionaire, who'd likely stab your 6 given the chance, scam you outta your goodies, and then say, "well, if you'd had as much money as I do, then you could put up a fight. So this serves you right and you've learned a lesson".
Probably takes a lot less stress to figure out how to cook your monkeybrains for supper than to figure out who's the likeliest sucker to amalgamate or take over.

Good point.
Bauxite mining means 'strip mining' a large area.

third world reclamation means you were fed to the seafood in the dead of night...