Biting the hand that feeds them

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Many countries in Europe are choosing to be GM free. I hope we follow suit.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Henry I. Miller - SourceWatch

"
A 1994 memo written by the Apco Associates PR firm (now called Apco Worldwide) for Philip Morris (PM) discusses plans to create a European branch of the PM-backed "junk science" front group The Advancement of Sound Science Coalition. The memo states,
Specifically, we recommend that a European TASSC be formulated to do the following:

• Preempt unilateral action against industry.
  • Associate anti-industry "scientific"studies with broader questions about government research and regulations • Link the tobacco issue with other more "politically correct" products.
  • Have non-industry messengers provide reasons for legislators, business executives and media to view policies drawn from unreliable scientific studies with extreme caution.
The memo specifically cites Henry I. Miller as a "key supporter" who might be willing to assist in the execution of the project:"

Palindrome

Nominee Member
May 14, 2013
Does any sane person believe it's a good idea to give a corporation monopoly of the world's food supply - forever?
.... Uh, let me amend that: sane and not totally evil.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I made the mistake, yesterday, of driving through Sudbury instead of taking the bypass. That T-shirt picket was entertaining (if not quite sensible)

Really.... She couldn't have found a better gimmick to get her slogan read
it's bizarre. :)

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Monsanto marches across the globe May 25, 2013. What a bunch of Malthusian fools, Luddites and leftards.

March against Monsanto: A worldwide protest, May 25, 2013

Dr. Henry Miller debunks the GMO myth.

Debunking 'The Big Lie' About Genetically Engineered Crops - Forbes

Ah ha! Your eccentrics explained scientifically by dietary links.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I'm not sure of my stand on GMO foods - there are many "pros & cons" out there. How many varieties of apples are there now then there used to be. Are any of them dangerous? I'm sure not all of them were grafted were they? I don't know....

I think I am more concerned with the fact that one company (Monsanto) has control over so much. If I recall correctly, a farmer in Sask (??) was sued by Monsanto because they claimed he was using their seed without their consent when in fact, the seed came from an ajacent field that was blown by the wind into this farmers yard. Guess who lost?? (It wasn't Monsanto). That fact alone makes me EXTREMELY nervous. It also looks like governments in N.A. have been bought and paid for.... This is one Corporation that is really making me nervous since it seems to control so much relating to food. That's what I'm more concerned about.

JMHO

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm not sure of my stand on GMO foods - there are many "pros & cons" out
there. How many varieties of apples are there now then there used to be. Are
any of them dangerous? I'm sure not all of them were grafted were they? I
don't know....
The seed from one apple tree will produce up to 1500 unique cultivars. It is why they are grafted.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If Monsanto is out to control the food what is the purpose of Bayer Crop Sciences are they out to control the rest? Their InVigor/Liberty canola kick *** on Monsanto.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
If Monsanto is out to control the food what is the purpose of Bayer Crop Sciences are they out to control the rest? Their InVigor/Liberty canola kick *** on Monsanto.
Is Bayer as big as Monsanto? Monsanto's business practices are the ones in the news. They are as synonymous to GMOs as MacRaunchy is to junk food. I think the thinking behind this march against Monsanto has more to do with their power than their product. It is a Monsanto executive who is now in charge of the FDA and why Obama approved a bill giving Monsanto carte blanch in the US and making it impossible to sue them for any wrong doing or malfeasance for harm done to peoples' health.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Bayer/Aventis is HUGE. Do some Googling.

The march has to do with a lack of knowledge.

If just one person wears cotton to the march it's a 100% failure.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
It is clearly the case of weaponized food, Henry Kissmyassinger knew what he was talking about. Controlling food stocks has been the #1 weapon of total war for thousands of years. Eat drink and sleep evermore.