Is education in multiple languages disadvantageous (multilingualism) ?

saldazharov2008

Apr 11, 2013
What are the consequences of multilingual education (MLE) ?

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Whatever education I have and am acquiring is done in three languages , with "marvelous consequences" , paniemayesh .

Last edited:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I lerned to speek englich on the street and it aint dun me no harm.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
In North American the only consequence I've seen of learning multiple languages is snobbery. ;)

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I envy people who can speak multiple languages. Unfortunately, I was not gifted with the ability despite my attempts to do so (i.e. I failed miserably trying to learn French in school and later, Ukrainian when I was older).

I really am resentful of my parents who both spoke Ukrainian and refused to teach my siblings and I to speak it, at least in the home. The reason, I'm told, is that as youngsters, they faced discrimination and didn't want us kids to go through that. For me, I think it was because whenever they argued, they did it in Ukrainian so that we wouldn't understand what they were arguing about!!

Being that we were in an English community, I doubt if that would have been an issue as we spoke English outside of the home anyway. There were kids who spoke French at home and they weren't discriminated against - in fact I could see that they were envied, especially when it came to French class!! It would have been nice to speak something other than English inside the home.

JMHO

There were 3 of us girls who had a "night out" in Pembroke, ON. The two ladies I was with (one was my friend and the other her friend whose English was quite limited) were both originally from Germany. We had gone to a bar that had a high counter where you stood with your drinks. It was quite crowded and there were these two gentleman standing next to my friend who were from Quebec. They were busy chatting in French - , they must have said something that caught my friend's attention, as she started conversing with them in French. They were really surprised. As the night went on, she spoke to the guys in French, her g/f in German and me in English. I was VERY impressed and wished I could do the same. I think she spent pretty much all night "translating" for everyone. It was totally Kool!!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I envy people who can speak multiple languages. Unfortunately, I was not gifted with the ability despite my attempts to do so (i.e. I failed miserably trying to learn French in school and later, Ukrainian when I was older).

The only people I know personally who've been successful at learning multiple languages (by that I'm meaning more than two), are Europeans. It's hard to learn languages that don't get spoken around you.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
In North American the only consequence I've seen of learning multiple languages is snobbery. ;)

I speak a number of languages myself, but I totally agree with you that in the absence of some character education, that can be a negative consequence. But it can be avoided depending on various educaiotnal factors.

I really am resentful of my parents who both spoke Ukrainian and refused to teach my siblings and I to speak it, at least in the home. The reason, I'm told, is that as youngsters, they faced discrimination and didn't want us kids to go through that. For me, I think it was because whenever they argued, they did it in Ukrainian so that we wouldn't understand what they were arguing about!!

Being that we were in an English community, I doubt if that would have been an issue as we spoke English outside of the home anyway. There were kids who spoke French at home and they weren't discriminated against - in fact I could see that they were envied, especially when it came to French class!! It would have been nice to speak something other than English inside the home.

JMHO

There were 3 of us girls who had a "night out" in Pembroke, ON. The two ladies I was with (one was my friend and the other her friend whose English was quite limited) were both originally from Germany. We had gone to a bar that had a high counter where you stood with your drinks. It was quite crowded and there were these two gentleman standing next to my friend who were from Quebec. They were busy chatting in French - , they must have said something that caught my friend's attention, as she started conversing with them in French. They were really surprised. As the night went on, she spoke to the guys in French, her g/f in German and me in English. I was VERY impressed and wished I could do the same. I think she spent pretty much all night "translating" for everyone. It was totally Kool!!

Sorry to hear that. I've heard stories of indigenous Canadians refusing to teach their children their language owing to stigmatism. Though I understand that situation is quickly disappearing as they gradually heal from the rez system, plus more desparate to keep their languages alive.

The only people I know personally who've been successful at learning multiple languages (by that I'm meaning more than two), are Europeans. It's hard to learn languages that don't get spoken around you.

I haven't found Europeans to be any more bilingual than most in the world, except sometimes those living in border towns or more multilingual communities, etc. No different than anywhere else in the world. We see the same pattern in Canada where bilingualism tends to be higher in linguistic transition zones like Montreal, Ottawa-Gatineau, etc.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I spent almost four years in Europe..mainly West Germany. At one time I could speak German quite fluently. Fifty odd years later
my vocabulary is almost gone but at the time, speaking the language was a definate advantage. I also had a smattering of French, and enough Italian to order a beer and pay for it. I would say if you have a chance to learn another language, jump at it

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I definitely found Europeans to know more langauages. If you're from mainland Europe and you only know one language, you are considered somewhat of a retard. Every German I've met has passable English. Europeans can usually get by in at least three languages. The exception to the rule is the Italians who seem to resent having to learn other languages. Funny I thought that would be the French.

Juan hit it though--these people aren't learning languages for cultural enlightenment. They're learning because it's necessary to move around in Euroipe and teh rest of the world.

We had a hard decision with our kids, out here in BC, whether or not to put them in French immersion. All the trendy parents are doing it. Their local school has the program. But we opted out. Over the long term, I don't see the advantage. Unlike Europe, my kids have nowhere to actually speak French outside of school. Where I work, you need to be bilingual for any decent job, but I have it on good authority that job candidates with French immersion in school are no further ahead than others.

Thinking of signing the kids up for Mandarin though. That would seem more practical, these days. :lol:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I also find that multilingualism (or even just bilingualism) opens doors unilinguals might often overlook, and not just in business, employment, and education, but also simply access to new friends and literature one woudl not otherwise have had access to.

For instance, one would be surprised at how much literature, whether literary, scientific, etc. that is not available in English. I have enjoyed access to such literature myself.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I also find that multilingualism (or even just bilingualism) opens doors unilinguals might often overlook, and not just in business, employment, and education, but also simply access to new friends and literature one woudl not otherwise have had access to.

For sure, if you want to market yourself in the global marketplace.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I definitely found Europeans to know more langauages. If you're from mainland Europe and you only know one language, you are considered somewhat of a retard. Every German I've met has passable English. Europeans can usually get by in at least three languages. The exception to the rule is the Italians who seem to resent having to learn other languages. Funny I thought that would be the French.

from my observations, many Europeans overestimate just how fluent they are. In some cultures, knowing a smattering of a language makes you 'bilingual', while in other countries it means that you really know it. In Europe many do speak a smattering, but that's no different from elsewhere. Though many also speak their regional dialects.

For sure, if you want to market yourself in the global marketplace.

Not just monetarily, but even for friendships, accessing knowledge for the love of knowledge, etc. There are benefits to bilingualism or multilingualism well beyond just money.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Juan hit it though--these people aren't learning languages for cultural enlightenment. They're learning because it's necessary to move around in Euroipe and teh rest of the world.

We had a hard decision with our kids, out here in BC, whether or not to put them in French immersion. All the trendy parents are doing it. Their local school has the program. But we opted out. Over the long term, I don't see the advantage. Unlike Europe, my kids have nowhere to actually speak French outside of school. Where I work, you need to be bilingual for any decent job, but I have it on good authority that job candidates with French immersion in school are no further ahead than others.

Thinking of signing the kids up for Mandarin though. That would seem more practical, these days. :lol:

I didn't see the value in French Immersion until I transferred into a school where the French Immersion students and the English students took classes together. The French Immersion students were consistently 10% ahead of the English students. I immediately wished I'd been given such an educational edge.

For us personally, it boiled down to reclaiming lost heritage. My grandparents dropped French from their household because they were told their brain damaged child could learn only one language at best. It hurt them immensely to raise 8 children who couldn't speak their native tongue with them. You should see their faces light up when my kids sit down and speak French with them.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I didn't see the value in French Immersion until I transferred into a school where the French Immersion students and the English students took classes together. The French Immersion students were consistently 10% ahead of the English students. I immediately wished I'd been given such an educational edge.

I experienced the exact opposite. My brother (an allophile) pulled his kids out of French immersion, because, though they were great in French, they suffered in other areas. I've heard similar complaints here in BC. But the clincher is that neither me nor my wife know much French. I like to interact wiht my kids on their schoolwork, an opportunity that would be denied me if they were in French immersion.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
You're both correct. Whether French immersion is a good idea or not depends on various factors. Certainly there is no point in surpassing in languages but falling behind on everything else.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I say screw dropping one language. Lets add more... Add a computer coding language.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Learning another language gives one a better understanding of other cultures.
If we learn more about each other around the world, it might just be we will all
be less apt to want to kill each other. Learning more languages is an advantage
in a changing world.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I experienced the exact opposite. My brother (an allophile) pulled his kids out of French immersion, because, though they were great in French, they suffered in other areas. I've heard similar complaints here in BC. But the clincher is that neither me nor my wife know much French. I like to interact wiht my kids on their schoolwork, an opportunity that would be denied me if they were in French immersion.

I don't speak French, but I have Google translate, and manage with them just fine on their homework. I do profess though that I have the benefit of a bilingual husband. As for pulling your kids because they suffer in other areas... I'm assuming he pulled them early? A lot of parents panic at the lack of English Language Arts instruction in the lower grades.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Learning another language gives one a better understanding of other cultures.
If we learn more about each other around the world, it might just be we will all
be less apt to want to kill each other. Learning more languages is an advantage
in a changing world.

At the same time though, we can't learn all languages. That's where I think an easy-to-learn common international auxiliary language would be useful. After that, we all learn the language or languages we want.