Big Changes in Guatemala-Rios Montt Genocide Trial

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I remember this happening-or rather when the world found out about it turns out I was there @ the time but had no idea how bad it was-and I would have bet anything he'd never stand trial-in this case I'm Happy to be wrong.

Guatemala ex-ruler Rios Montt to face genocide trial

Gen Efrain Rios Montt has been under house arrest since his immunity from prosecution was lifted

A judge in Guatemala has ordered that former military leader Efrain Rios Montt stand trial for genocide.

Gen Rios Montt will face charges of crimes against humanity in connection with the killing of 1,771 indigenous Mayans during his rule in 1982-1983.

Prosecutors said he wanted to wipe out the indigenous group, which he suspected of supporting rebel fighters.

Gen Rios Montt, 86, is the first ex-president to be charged with genocide by a Latin American court.

The ruling clears the way for a three-judge to try the former president and another former military man, Jose Mauricio Rodriguez.

'Scorched earth'

Gen Rios Montt had enjoyed immunity from prosecution for 12 years while he was serving as a congressman.

The immunity was lifted on 14 January 2012, when his term ran out. He has been under house arrest since.

Judge Miguel Angel Galvez said there was enough evidence linking the general to the killing of members of the Ixil Maya group to warrant the trial.

Gen Rios Montt will also face charges over the forced displacement of 29,000 indigenous Guatemalans as part of what human rights groups have called his "scorched earth" policy.

BBC regional correspondent Will Grant says the ruling is a significant victory for human rights advocates who have been pressing for his trial since the end of the civil conflict in 1996.

An estimated 200,000 people were killed or went missing during the 36-year conflict.

Gen Rios Montt's 17 months in power are believed to have been one of the most violent periods of the war.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
It was all about displacing Mayans to make more land available for the United Fruit Company. When I was there in 89 the US had delivered helicopter gun ships, armored troupe carries, uniforms and various small arms to fight against the so called rebels who had been forced from their land and were living on the sides of active volcanoes. I had to leave the country because I could not stand what was going on. The US government and United Fruit Co. are both as guilty as this scum bag.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The United States is bearing the brunt of its action Guatemala and other South American
Countries. They have a long and sordid history of supporting the murdering dictators like
in Chile when they overthrew the elected Salvador Allende' and replaced his with the
dictator Pinochet in order to keep control of the copper mines.
The Rebels were fighting for their homeland and a right to exist and no wonder the Mayans
were supporting them, they were the people being destroyed.
The big factor here is the others who are equally guilty found their scapegoat and now the
show trial will begin and the world will sing in harmony. Yes this monster should be dealt
with but a lot of others should be in the descendants box with him

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Actually I don't buy many things that come from certain companies and countries
so no I didn't I don't eat bananas either. Trying to make excuses is not the answer
either cleaning up the past will hopefully be a message to others that things must
change. That is doubtful at best.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
They have a long and sordid history of supporting the murdering dictators like
in Chile when they overthrew the elected Salvador Allende' and replaced his with the
dictator Pinochet in order to keep control of the copper mines.

More lies and fabrication.

Yet Canada did indeed directly assist in the assassination of Ghadafii. Without Canada ordering air strikes (using other nations planes of course) on Ghadaffi's convoy he would have made it out of the country.

Glass houses eh?

Actually I don't buy many things that come from certain companies and countries
so no I didn't I don't eat bananas either. Trying to make excuses is not the answer
either cleaning up the past will hopefully be a message to others that things must
change. That is doubtful at best.

Start on Rwanda and Libya first before you get uppity.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Libya and Rwanda were part of a war that was quite different than the situations
we are talking about. While LIbya was interference as part of a coalition of forces
America did sneaky illegal and outrageous things without being part of anything
except greed.
Corporations and American Administrations directly or indirectly committed acts of
international criminal concern for the interests of America and or its Corporate friends.
Far different from a military incursion. The practice America perpetrated on their
Southern Neighbours was nothing short of economic colonialism.
This is why people like Chavez and other recently elected leaders are so popular,
the people are throwing off the chains of economic dependence and taking back
what is rightfully theirs. No more monetary fund interference or the multi national
companies.
America likes to go about pretending it is a beacon of democracy. In fact it has a long
way to go to come anywhere near that. I will say in most cases it is still better than
most of the alternatives in the world.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State