Trade is killing our fishing industry and...

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Putting Canadians at risk. Yep, cheap Shrimp. You get what you pay for. For those of you who wander into the local grocery store and grab a bag of that cheap shrimp you really should take a second look. Now days Fisherman both in Canada and the United States are taking a beating from importers who are delivering large quantities of Shrimp at cut rates. The only problem with that is that these exporters, mainly in Asia, are breeding 90% of those exported shrimp in cesspools with very little quality control.

Today my wife tried to go to grocers SUPERSTORE and SOBEYS and was unable to find any that was available within the continent of North America. Personally, I will be asking my grocers why they aren't offering a Canadian or US alternative to this cheap and poorly managed seafood.

Shrimp: The Disgusting Truth - YouTube

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Putting Canadians at risk. Yep, cheap Shrimp. You get what you pay for. For those of you who wander into the local grocery store and grab a bag of that cheap shrimp you really should take a second look. Now days Fisherman both in Canada and the United States are taking a beating from importers who are delivering large quantities of Shrimp at cut rates. The only problem with that is that these exporters, mainly in Asia, are breeding 90% of those exported shrimp in cesspools with very little quality control.

Today my wife tried to go to grocers SUPERSTORE and SOBEYS and was unable to find any that was available within the continent of North America. Personally, I will be asking my grocers why they aren't offering a Canadian or US alternative to this cheap and poorly managed seafood.

Shrimp: The Disgusting Truth - YouTube

We don't buy many shrimp but we would live on prawns. Right now we can buy a large bag of size forty prawns for about ten or twelve dollars. Are these prawns the same risk as the shrimp you talk about?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
My question is where do the restaurants get their shrimp? And I'm not talking about mini breaded shrimp at the fish and chip joints, I'm talking about the ones where they charge me premium prices at moderate to higher end restaurants. Because honestly, that's mostly where I'm eating my seafood is at restaurants.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
We don't buy many shrimp but we would live on prawns. Right now we can buy a large bag of size forty prawns for about ten or twelve dollars. Are these prawns the same risk as the shrimp you talk about?

If they come from Asia, chances are yes. Shrimp, jumbo shrimp aka prawns are farmed the same way as are a number other farmed fish.

My question is where do the restaurants get their shrimp? And I'm not talking about mini breaded shrimp at the fish and chip joints, I'm talking about the ones where they charge me premium prices at moderate to higher end restaurants. Because honestly, that's mostly where I'm eating my seafood is at restaurants.

Very likely the Asian Market. Sorry, but it only makes sense that eating establishments would want the best bang for their buck.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
sooooooooo, yet another poisonous thing that we are ingesting along with all of our GM food. I can't even find freaking tofu that isn't GM. The cure for cancer is likely diet and healthy nutritious food is almost impossible to find.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Many people aren't aware of this, but the growth of the shrimp farming industry in Latin America and SE Asia would likely not have taken place if it were not for US exports of shrimp. US breeders produced SPF Pacific white shrimp, that's specific pathogen free, and those were exported to these shrimp producing areas of the world. In fact these shrimp are America's largest value aquaculture export.

Canada still enjoys a huge trade surplus with virtually every nation on Earth that we have international seafood trade with.

That said, seafood sourced from many of these nations is definitely sub-par to our standards.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Many people aren't aware of this, but the growth of the shrimp farming industry in Latin America and SE Asia would likely not have taken place if it were not for US exports of shrimp. US breeders produced SPF Pacific white shrimp, that's specific pathogen free, and those were exported to these shrimp producing areas of the world. In fact these shrimp are America's largest value aquaculture export.

Canada still enjoys a huge trade surplus with virtually every nation on Earth that we have international seafood trade with.

That said, seafood sourced from many of these nations is definitely sub-par to our standards.

So, what are you saying Ton, the the 90% figure is pure bullshyte?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Spotted prawns are from the BC coast. Do NOT eat any sea food that comes from Asia. You should be able to get BC shrimp at the seafood stores in Nanaimo.

sooooooooo, yet another poisonous thing that we are ingesting along with all of our GM food. I can't even find freaking tofu that isn't GM. The cure for cancer is likely diet and healthy nutritious food is almost impossible to find.

THe local health food store should have organic tofu. Costs more than the Frankenfood though.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
So, what are you saying Ton, the the 90% figure is pure bullshyte?

No, I think he's saying that seafood sourced from many of these nations is sub-para to our standards.

See below:

What are you saying Gerry, that I posted this because I'm racist? LOL

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I did not write the following, but found it quite amusing.

No matter how clever you think you are, the people who do nothing but focus on their particular area of expertise will always be more clever than you. This is essentially a restatement of Steve’s Third Axiom: You can’t protect yourself part-time, from people committed to taking advantage of you full-time.

Case in point: Costco sells a very nice jumbo shrimp ring, prominently marked on the front of the package in large letters: “Wild caught Mexican shrimp”. “Wild caught” is a real key phrase for people interested in getting away from farmed seafood, especially if it’s from Thailand and much of Asia; areas renown (or notorious) for fish and seafood grown in cesspools full of human waste (Joke: What’s the first thing a Pangasius fish sees when it looks up in the morning? Some guy’s *** pointed in its direction). And buying from Mexico seems almost local compared to shipping things from as far as Asia.

As I was thawing a shrimp ring for a Friday night Martini snack, I glanced down at the fine print at the bottom of the back of the package and saw: “Mexican shrimp processed and packaged in Thailand”. For Chrissakes! How can it pay to catch shrimp in Mexico, ship it to Thailand for packaging, and then ship it back to North America? But obviously it must. I mean can’t the Mexicans build a seafood processing plant and compete? We really are screwed, shipping jobs to Asia while we become what?

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
It took a while for this line of lying Bee Ess to make it's way to this internet backwater but that's to be expected-the Catfish/Basa vids have lost their ability to scare so this was next.

It's also to be expected that the same sad sacks losers who live in a cloud of yanqui assend excretions would be the ones to post it-in fact they post little else but said excretions- they live to inhale as it were.

And buying cooked shrimp from Costco?

Well consider the source of that ridiculous idea.

BTW-Local Shrimp sales @ the Steveston Harbour dock have never been stronger I used to be there weekly and eat the stuff three times a week but cholesterol counts got in the way.

Which brings me to another point-how many of the outraged Johnny Canucks here ever eat Shrimp?

And I don't mean crap from Costco.

Bremusa

Nominee Member
Dec 29, 2012
Did you know that over 95% of that organic stuff in the super market aisle is now grown in china.
None of it has ever passed inspection from outside sources .
In fact out side sources are not allowed to inspect it.

Jars of organic juice once grown in california, all come from China .Now none come from there except the hippie label remnant.

The cereals , the snacks , the candy all that organic stuff comes from one major distributor and he told me not to eat it cause the Chinese don't give a ****. His words.

On another note the only eggs I like right now are President choice organic.
Forget about the omega fish fed eggs to get Omega in there. lol

Fruit , meat that says organic and it's local as in north american, is still real.

As for Mexican grown food.

The worse pesticides that are banned but still manufactured in USA and Canada are slathered on Mexican field crops.

Enjoy!
Bremusa

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Did you know that over 95% of that organic stuff in the super market aisle is now grown in china.
None of it has ever passed inspection from outside sources .
In fact out side sources are not allowed to inspect it.

Jars of organic juice once grown in california, all come from China .Now none come from there except the hippie label remnant.

The cereals , the snacks , the candy all that organic stuff comes from one major distributor and he told me not to eat it cause the Chinese don't give a ****. His words.

On another note the only eggs I like right now are President choice organic.
Forget about the omega fish fed eggs to get Omega in there. lol

Fruit , meat that says organic and it's local as in north american, is still real.

As for Mexican grown food.

The worse pesticides that are banned but still manufactured in USA and Canada are slathered on Mexican field crops.

I can't remember when I read a post so full of idiotic bull anywhere on the net.

Coming up soon on this miasma-some dork will repost the garbage about barns full of headless chickens.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Quote RCS: " The only problem with that is that these exporters, mainly in Asia, are breeding 90% of those exported shrimp in cesspools with very little quality control."

Shi tty deal. (we are what we eat)

But.

If they're raised in cesspools, no need for quality control.

just sayin. ;-)

If the shrimp get inspected the same way Alta. beef get inspected, we're all fukked..........:lol:

Shi t - fed shrimp. wooopee.

Do the Orientals eat this stuff, or just food imported from the West?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I can't remember when I read a post so full of idiotic bull anywhere on the net.

Coming up soon on this miasma-some dork will repost the garbage about barns full of headless chickens.

Considering just how very often you make the above bolded remark, it would seem you may have some the beginnings of a very serious memory problem. You may want to see your doctor about that.

But thumbs up on your stellar congeniality! I see those personality lessons are doing wonders!

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Do the Orientals eat this stuff, or just food imported from the West?

Did you say Orientals? Is Rob Ford your cousin? LOL

Shrimp do eat rotten dead things like fish heads. The question is what else, besides fecal logs, is floating around in these cesspools that can have adverse effects on your health.