Qatar designs a law against offending religions

tay
Draft will be presented to the UN with aim of creating int'l law

The Qatari Justice Minister is designing a law that would ban attacks on or offenses to religion. The ultimate goal of the initiative is to create an international law with the help of the United Nations. News of the minister's plan was reported on Friday by the Doha Gulf Times.

"In recent years, there have been insults and offenses against religion through drawings, films and other means. Thus we have taken the initiative to create a legislative instrument on an international level to protect the sacredness of all religions. The draft will be presented at the United Nations," declared Qatari Justice Minister Hassan bin Abdullah al-Ghanem.

The Qatari minister is collaborating with the International Union of Muslim Scholars (IUMS) on making religious offense considered a crime abroad as well as at home.

"Offenses to religion shake the foundations of stability in the world and put world peace at risk," said Yousuf Qaradawi, president of IUMS. Every religion has its sacred elements. In the case of Islam, the Koran and the Prophet Mohammed are sacred, and any attack automatically sparks undesirable consequences, Qaradawi explained. "It is impossible to contain the spontaneous rage of a mass insulted by an offense to their religion," Qaradawi added.

more

Islam: Qatar designs a law against offending religions - Politics - ANSAMed.it

DaSleeper
+3
#2  Top Rated Post
Half the people in this forum would be in jail....

Machjo
+1
Will the UK support it? Considering that there is a law in the books in the UK that, not necessarily attacking the Christian faith, I can't remember the exact wording, but something aboung the lines of defaming or insulting the Christian Faith, is illegal, and can lead to a fine or imprisonment, yet this applies exclusively to the Christian Faith and no other religion.

Whichever side one takes on this issue, one ought to at least acknowledge that what applies to one applies to all.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
How about a law requiring all people on earth to have a thick skin? What other people say about you shouldn't really matter.

Colpy
Conservative
+1
Terry Jones may become recognized as prescient.

Imagine that.

Weekly Koran-burnings might become a necessity.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1
Big question is who gets to decide what constitutes attacking or offending a religion? I can see how that one will come back to bite him in the a$$.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Terry Jones may become recognized as prescient.

Imagine that.

Weekly Koran-burnings might become a necessity.

So what do you say to the UK law banning the offending or insulting of the Christian Faith but not other religions? Certainly you'd agree that what applies to one applies to all, no?

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

So what do you say to the UK law banning the offending or insulting of the Christian Faith but not other religions? Certainly you'd agree that what applies to one applies to all, no?

You're talking about old blasphemy laws from centuries ago.... As a matter even though they had not been enforced in a long time they abolished them in 2008.

Corduroy
I'm not worried.

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
+2
What about those of us that don't discriminate. I insult all religions equally.

Dexter Sinister
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

"It is impossible to contain the spontaneous rage of a mass insulted by an offense to their religion," Qaradawi added.

And members of which religion do that? In reference to Colpy's thread asking about whether we're fed up with it yet, in which I said no I wasn't, I'm getting close to changing my mind.

karrie
No Party Affiliation
+2
Where's my right not to be offended or slandered? Where's the right of 'men' to not be targeted and insulted? Or of 'women'? Or of 'gays'? 'Natives'? 'Blacks'? What groups deserve to be protected and not offended? Religion's no free pass

Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

And members of which religion do that? In reference to Colpy's thread asking about whether we're fed up with it yet, in which I said no I wasn't, I'm getting close to changing my mind.

These are still not the majority. I will hold out faith in humanity that this idiocy does not represent my neighbours.

Dexter Sinister
No Party Affiliation
I sincerely hope you're right, but the stuff I've been digging into lately--I'm re-reading the Qu'ran, among other things--I'm not finding encouraging.

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
Offence is taken, not given. If they're too sensitive, too bad.

Even if it goes through I wouldnt get too upset. Almost everyone ignores the UN or international law when it suits them.

karrie
No Party Affiliation
+1

I sincerely hope you're right, but the stuff I've been digging into lately--I'm re-reading the Qu'ran, among other things--I'm not finding encouraging.

Don't forget to compare it to what you would think of Christians by reading the Bible.

Dexter Sinister
No Party Affiliation
+1
The appropriate comparison is to 14th century Christians. With modern weapons.

Corduroy
+1
20th century Northern Irish and Serbian Christians.... with modern weapons.

Dexter Sinister
No Party Affiliation
Yes, them too, but I was trying to think on a more nearly global scale.

tay
A young woman was stoned to death Thursday in Somalia after being convicted of engaging in out-of-marriage sex, reports say.

Residents of Jamama town, 425km south of Mogadishu in Lower Juba region, said that militants loyal to Al-Shabaab carried out the stoning at the town’s main square in late afternoon.

“Many residents were called to attend the execution of the punishment,” a resident who requested anonymity for own safety told Kulmiye, an independent broadcaster in Mogadishu.

He added that Al-Shabaab officials in the town witnessed the stoning.

“The woman admitted having out-of-marriage sex,” said an Islamist official who talked to the crowd after the stoning was completed.

“This type of punishments that are compatible with Sharia (Islamic laws) will be administered,” said the official

According to residents, the young woman was picked up from one of the neighbourhoods of the town, but there was no trace of the man partner involved in the alleged offence.

The judicial system of the Al-Shabaab is often criticised by rights groups for lack defence attorneys, proper evidences and harsh punishment, hastily meted out.

Al-Shabaab order woman stoned to death for sex offence: News-africareview.com

Niflmir
Free Thinker
+1
The good thing about Christianity is that most people recognize its extremes as extremes.

The sad thing about Islam is that too many extremists are at the helm of whole countries.

Freedom of speech means precisely the right to mock your religion. If there is not that, there is no freedom of speech. That is exactly the lesson of the dark ages and the enlightenment. Do we really want to go back there?

Dexter Sinister
No Party Affiliation
+1
Obviously some people do want to go back there, or stay there if they're already there. That's the first lesson in Judaic and Christian scripture, and it's repeated in the Qu'ran: do not eat from the Tree of Knowledge. Faith, ignorance, and submission, are the preferred values.

Niflmir
Free Thinker
+1

Obviously some people do want to go back there, or stay there if they're already there. That's the first lesson in Judaic and Christian scripture, and it's repeated in the Qu'ran: do not eat from the Tree of Knowledge. Faith, ignorance, and submission, are the preferred values.

True enough. The scary thing about Abrahamic religions is that they left in all the parts of their respective scriptures that allow slavery, segregation, rape, and a bunch of other things. Such lessons were hard learned for society:

We should not go around burning "witches" because they do not exist.
We should not go around enslaving people, period.
Women should not be forbidden from teaching, forced to wear veils, or treated "equal but different" because that is a euphemism for second class.
Consensual homosexual acts are not problems that society should concern itself with.

Some parts of the world haven't even learned these lessons yet. We can slip quite far, give an inch and they will take a mile.

no new posts