French president pushing homework ban

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
How do you think this would go over in the United States? French President François Hollande has said he will end homework as part of a series of reforms to overhaul the country’s education system.

And the reason he wants to ban homework?

He doesn’t think it is fair that some kids get help from their parents at home while children who come from disadvantaged families don’t. It’s an issue that goes well beyond France, and has been part of the reason that some Americans oppose homework too.

Hollande’s reform plans include increasing the number of teachers, moving the school week from four days to 4 1/2 days, overhauling the curriculum and taking steps to cut down on absenteeism.

more

French president pushing homework ban as part of ed reforms

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
He doesn’t think it is fair that some kids get help from their parents at home while children who come from disadvantaged families don’t. It’s an issue that goes well beyond France, and has been part of the reason that some Americans oppose homework too.

I didn't realize that was the reasoning. That's pathetic. My father used to rant about the race to meet the 'lowest common denominator', and now I see what his point was. Penalize anyone with any ambition, because some people don't have any.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
How do you think this would go over in the United States? French President François Hollande has said he will end homework as part of a series of reforms to overhaul the country’s education system.

Hollande’s reform plans include increasing the number of teachers, moving the school week from four days to 4 1/2 days, overhauling the curriculum and taking steps to cut down on absenteeism.

more

He has a point about parental responsibility not evening out the playing field for students. But rather than dumbing down those whose parents do help them, why not just have school libraries open on days off with tutors available to help those students or some other solution?

Also, le'ts not equate responsible parenting with wealth. Some wealthy parents don't have time for their kids, while some poor parents are so because they spend more time with their kids. So it's not a direct correlation.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
He has a point about parental responsibility not evening out the playing field for students. But rather than dumbing down those whose parents do help them, why not just have school libraries open on days off with tutors available to help those students or some other solution?

Also, le'ts not equate responsible parenting with wealth. Some wealthy parents don't have time for their kids, while some poor parents are so because they spend more time with their kids. So it's not a direct correlation.

They should legislate that all families are to be 2 parents - no exception... They can also require that parents, by law, spend 10 hours per week helping with homework... All parents will be required to be of identical intelligence such that no one student has an advantage based on having a parent(s) with above average intelligence or may be better communicators.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

more

Well the little darlings certainly need more time for their lap tops, I pods and cell phones!

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Absolutely, because having only one parent would not be fair.

I was raised by one parent and I preferred it that way. I didnt get along with the other one. Its fair when nearly half the kids out there are living in single parent households.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I was raised by one parent and I preferred it that way.

How were you able to do any homework with only 1 parent to help?... What a horrendous disadvantage.... It's a miracle that you were able to overcome this heinous obstacle

I guess if its not in purple, some people do not recongnize sarcasm.

I kinda thought that my statements were obvious enough, but that not being the case, I'll play by the rules for now

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
How were you able to do any homework with only 1 parent to help?... What a horrendous disadvantage.... It's a miracle that you were able to overcome this heinous obstacle

I kinda thought that my statements were obvious enough, but that not being the case, I'll play by the rules for now

I wish you wouldn't. It's way more fun if they don't "get it", lol.

And the statements were massively obvious.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I didn't realize that was the reasoning. That's pathetic. My father used to rant about the race to meet the 'lowest common denominator', and now I see what his point was. Penalize anyone with any ambition, because some people don't have any.

No, screw that. Homework is nothing other than babysitting in disguise, it is pointless busy work. There is more than enough time during school hours to learn how to read, write and do arithmetic.

In university, you get 15 hours of instruction in a week, and can dedicate less than 25 hours to completing the assignments and still consider it an honest life. Having 35 hours of school and 12.5 hours more homework is excessive. Canadian teens not lazy at all, says StatsCan - Canada - CBC News

Homework is just there so that people who do not pay attention during class can learn too.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
So being mobile home schooled isn't a good thing?