French president pushing homework ban


Locutus
#1
How do you think this would go over in the United States? French President François Hollande has said he will end homework as part of a series of reforms to overhaul the country’s education system.


And the reason he wants to ban homework?


He doesn’t think it is fair that some kids get help from their parents at home while children who come from disadvantaged families don’t. It’s an issue that goes well beyond France, and has been part of the reason that some Americans oppose homework too.


Hollande’s reform plans include increasing the number of teachers, moving the school week from four days to 4 1/2 days, overhauling the curriculum and taking steps to cut down on absenteeism.


more


French president pushing homework ban as part of ed reforms
 
taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+2
#2  Top Rated Post
Best way to keep the populace under control is to keep them ignorant.
 
TenPenny
+1
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

He doesn’t think it is fair that some kids get help from their parents at home while children who come from disadvantaged families don’t. It’s an issue that goes well beyond France, and has been part of the reason that some Americans oppose homework too.

I didn't realize that was the reasoning. That's pathetic. My father used to rant about the race to meet the 'lowest common denominator', and now I see what his point was. Penalize anyone with any ambition, because some people don't have any.
 
Machjo
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

How do you think this would go over in the United States? French President François Hollande has said he will end homework as part of a series of reforms to overhaul the country’s education system.


And the reason he wants to ban homework?


He doesn’t think it is fair that some kids get help from their parents at home while children who come from disadvantaged families don’t. It’s an issue that goes well beyond France, and has been part of the reason that some Americans oppose homework too.


Hollande’s reform plans include increasing the number of teachers, moving the school week from four days to 4 1/2 days, overhauling the curriculum and taking steps to cut down on absenteeism.


more


French president pushing homework ban as part of ed reforms

He has a point about parental responsibility not evening out the playing field for students. But rather than dumbing down those whose parents do help them, why not just have school libraries open on days off with tutors available to help those students or some other solution?

Also, le'ts not equate responsible parenting with wealth. Some wealthy parents don't have time for their kids, while some poor parents are so because they spend more time with their kids. So it's not a direct correlation.
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

He has a point about parental responsibility not evening out the playing field for students. But rather than dumbing down those whose parents do help them, why not just have school libraries open on days off with tutors available to help those students or some other solution?

Also, le'ts not equate responsible parenting with wealth. Some wealthy parents don't have time for their kids, while some poor parents are so because they spend more time with their kids. So it's not a direct correlation.

They should legislate that all families are to be 2 parents - no exception... They can also require that parents, by law, spend 10 hours per week helping with homework... All parents will be required to be of identical intelligence such that no one student has an advantage based on having a parent(s) with above average intelligence or may be better communicators.
 
Johnnny
#6
So those kids living in government housing or the ghetto that did do their homework have been wasting their time?
 
Machjo
+1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

They should legislate that all families are to be 2 parents - no exception... They


So if a parent dies, and the living parent refuses to remarry, we take the kid away, no exceptions?
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

How do you think this would go over in the United States? French President François Hollande has said he will end homework as part of a series of reforms to overhaul the country’s education system.


And the reason he wants to ban homework?


He doesn’t think it is fair that some kids get help from their parents at home while children who come from disadvantaged families don’t. It’s an issue that goes well beyond France, and has been part of the reason that some Americans oppose homework too.


Hollande’s reform plans include increasing the number of teachers, moving the school week from four days to 4 1/2 days, overhauling the curriculum and taking steps to cut down on absenteeism.


more


French president pushing homework ban as part of ed reforms

Well the little darlings certainly need more time for their lap tops, I pods and cell phones!
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

So if a parent dies, and the living parent refuses to remarry, we take the kid away, no exceptions?


Yes.... We couldn't have a student at a disadvantage
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

So if a parent dies, and the living parent refuses to remarry, we take the kid away, no exceptions?

Perhaps C.M. has his moments of levity.
 
TenPenny
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

So if a parent dies, and the living parent refuses to remarry, we take the kid away, no exceptions?

Absolutely, because having only one parent would not be fair.
 
WLDB
No Party Affiliation
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Absolutely, because having only one parent would not be fair.

I was raised by one parent and I preferred it that way. I didnt get along with the other one. Its fair when nearly half the kids out there are living in single parent households.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Perhaps C.M. has his moments of levity.

I guess if its not in purple, some people do not recongnize sarcasm.
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

I was raised by one parent and I preferred it that way.


How were you able to do any homework with only 1 parent to help?... What a horrendous disadvantage.... It's a miracle that you were able to overcome this heinous obstacle


Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I guess if its not in purple, some people do not recongnize sarcasm.

I kinda thought that my statements were obvious enough, but that not being the case, I'll play by the rules for now
 
SLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

How were you able to do any homework with only 1 parent to help?... What a horrendous disadvantage.... It's a miracle that you were able to overcome this heinous obstacle




I kinda thought that my statements were obvious enough, but that not being the case, I'll play by the rules for now

I wish you wouldn't. It's way more fun if they don't "get it", lol.

And the statements were massively obvious.
 
Niflmir
Free Thinker
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

I didn't realize that was the reasoning. That's pathetic. My father used to rant about the race to meet the 'lowest common denominator', and now I see what his point was. Penalize anyone with any ambition, because some people don't have any.

No, screw that. Homework is nothing other than babysitting in disguise, it is pointless busy work. There is more than enough time during school hours to learn how to read, write and do arithmetic.

In university, you get 15 hours of instruction in a week, and can dedicate less than 25 hours to completing the assignments and still consider it an honest life. Having 35 hours of school and 12.5 hours more homework is excessive. Canadian teens not lazy at all, says StatsCan - Canada - CBC News

Homework is just there so that people who do not pay attention during class can learn too.
 
petros
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

He doesn’t think it is fair that some kids get help from their parents at home while children who come from disadvantaged families don’t. It’s an issue that goes well beyond France, and has been part of the reason that some Americans oppose homework too.

So being mobile home schooled isn't a good thing?
 

Similar Threads

0
French president marries former model
by CBC News | Feb 2nd, 2008
1
Harper to meet French president, PM
by CBC News | Jun 5th, 2007
no new posts