Catholic church to lose property tax exemption in Italy

tay
Italy’s Catholic Church will be forced to pay taxes starting in 2013 after the EU pressured the country’s government to pass a controversial law stripping the Church of its historic property tax exemption.

­The Catholic Church in Italy is excluded from paying taxes on its land if at least a part of a Church property is used non-commercially – for instance, a chapel in a bed-and-breakfast.

"The regulatory framework will be definite by January 1, 2013 – the start of the fiscal year – and will fully respect the [European] Community law," Italian premier Mario Monti's government said in a statement on Tuesday.

The move could net Italy revenues of 500 million to 2 billion euros annually across the country, municipal government associations said. The extra income from previously exempt properties in Rome alone – including hotels, restaurants and sports centers – could reach 25.5 million euros a year, La Repubblica daily newspaper reported.

more

http://rt.com/news/italy-church-tax-exemption-339/ (external - login to view)

and

forums.canadiancontent.net/us...on-united.html (external - login to view)

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
forums.canadiancontent.net/ne...ax-exempt.html (external - login to view)

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
+1
Good. An organization that protects pedophiles and rapists should not get tax exemptions. Particularly when they are outlets of a separate state.

tay
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

forums.canadiancontent.net/ne...ax-exempt.html (external - login to view)

Yes I saw that thread in The News category and as I commented to the author "Did you forget to post something?"

It seemed like a commentary by the author with no 'in the news' story connected to it. Maybe the author of that thread should have continued in this thread since ..............

Property owned by religious groups and income gathered by religious groups are mostly Tax Exempt.

But should they be Tax Exempt if they are going to get involved in such things as voicing their positions on political issues or environmental issues?? Are they crossing the line from being a religious group to advocacy group?

What about the Muslim religion, some say the qran is not a religious book but a philosophy of life book??

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

Good. An organization that protects pedophiles and rapists should not get tax exemptions. Particularly when they are outlets of a separate state.

I seem to recall that there have been quite a few situations of teachers abusing kids in their charge.... Any comments on what society ought to do to the entire system/institution on this issue?

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

Italy’s Catholic Church will be forced to pay taxes starting in 2013 after the EU pressured the country’s government to pass a controversial law stripping the Church of its historic property tax exemption.

­The Catholic Church in Italy is excluded from paying taxes on its land if at least a part of a Church property is used non-commercially – for instance, a chapel in a bed-and-breakfast.

"The regulatory framework will be definite by January 1, 2013 – the start of the fiscal year – and will fully respect the [European] Community law," Italian premier Mario Monti's government said in a statement on Tuesday.

The move could net Italy revenues of 500 million to 2 billion euros annually across the country, municipal government associations said. The extra income from previously exempt properties in Rome alone – including hotels, restaurants and sports centers – could reach 25.5 million euros a year, La Repubblica daily newspaper reported.

more

http://rt.com/news/italy-church-tax-exemption-339/ (external - login to view)

and

Amen

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

I seem to recall that there have been quite a few situations of teachers abusing kids in their charge.... Any comments on what society ought to do to the entire system/institution on this issue?

Fire the teachers and prosecute them.

gerryh
+2
#8  Top Rated Post

I assume you will be petitioning the government to do the same when it comes to the Boy Scouts?

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1

Fire the teachers and prosecute them.

Great; just as long as we're on the same page

Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

I assume you will be petitioning the government to do the same when it comes to the Boy Scouts?

Lets not forget about the psychiatrists, massage therapists and chiropractors.

I'll bet that it won't be too difficult to find a raft of examples from other religious groups, medical professions, cultural groups, etc.. Maybe we'll see the usual suspects recognize all of them as opposed to focusing exclusively on the RC

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
+1

You are confusing issues here. Whether the church or any particular religion is a charitable organization and deserves a tax exemption has nothing to do with pedophilia. If you did a little research you would find estimates of 3-9% of the population of our planet have tendencies leaning toward pedophilia. This is not limited to the church it means 3-9% of everybody. Teachers, Judges, Lawyers, politicians, pharmacists....you get the point. As pedophilia is not limited to the church neither is hiding the facts. Do you think the bar association will start outing any lawyers or judges that are into kids? Do you think the cops will start ratting out their own as pedos? I think not. These associations will close ranks and obfuscate the truth in order to maintain their appearance and good standing.

Pedophilia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)
Quote:

The prevalence of pedophilia in the general population is not known,[3][61] but is estimated to be lower than 5% based on several smaller studies with prevalence rates between 3% and 9%

This in no way should be taken as me defending pedos or defending the church's actions surrounding the issue, I am merely pointing out it is an issue throughout all society and not limited to the clergy.

tay
+1
The Pope has announced a new advertising scheme to pay the taxes......

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+2
It is time the churches paid their taxes on property like everyone else and not just
the Catholics all churches. The Jesus Business should be seen as just that a
business.
The churches should receive tax exception for the charitable works they do such
as helping the homeless and hungry and the down and out. They should pay on
collections and the ten percent the parishioners hand over.
Televangelists should pay up as well.

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

If they are tax exempt, sure.

Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNickView Post

You are confusing issues here. Whether the church or any particular religion is a charitable organization and deserves a tax exemption has nothing to do with pedophilia.

I'm well aware of that. I simply find it insane that an organization which is openly criminal is continuing to receive tax exempt status. They should be taxed and those responsible for protecting the pedophiles should be charged. Seeing as the current Pope took part in such activities before he was Pope it would include him and the church itself.

Liberalman
It's about time religions pay their fair share of taxes

petros
I never knew you people enjoyed taxes so much.

Should the RC yank all it's comunity services which are open to all faiths?

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Sure, why not?

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois

Interesting point... i suppose that the next logical step is to prohibit any charities from issuing tax deductible receipts

JLM
No Party Affiliation

Interesting point... i suppose that the next logical step is to prohibit any charities from issuing tax deductible receipts

You want to see donations plummet?

karrie
No Party Affiliation
+1
I don't know the percentages, dollars, and cents of it, but, organizations that pay out a significant portion of their 'income' into charitable works accessible to the general population (ie, based off income and situation not race or creed), should be elligible for tax exempt status.

To boil it down simply... if an organization is helping to alleviate the amount the government has to spend, why charge them taxes?

I could really care less if it's Muslims, Boy Scouts, gun clubs, or hairdressers united. Set a dollar amount or a percentage of income generated, that they have to give back. Most religions fit the bill, whether people like it or not.

Highball
+1
The tiniest nation is n this world is the Vatican and it is also the wealthiest. By estimates (they'll never reveal the amounts) they have over two trillion just in cash deposits in the Vatican Bank. Right now they could buy Greece, Portugal and Spain all at one time.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
Quote: Originally Posted by HighballView Post

The tiniest nation is n this world is the Vatican and it is also the wealthiest.

That's one of the effects of acquiring assets and saving cash for hundreds of years

petros
+1

Why not tax the charities? MADD and all the pink **** are raking it in.

That's one of the effects of acquiring assets and saving cash for hundreds of years

Jesus Saves! The proof is in the pudding.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

You want to see donations plummet?

It's a slippery slope on this issue. Applying taxes to religious organizations will have an impact on the community work that they can provide.

Why not tax the charities? MADD and all the pink **** are raking it in.

It'd almost be worth it just to see Green Peace, Tides, Forest Ethics and David Suzuki Foundation all go in the sh*tter

petros

It's a slippery slope on this issue. Applying taxes to religious organizations will have an impact on the community work that they can provide.

The local cancer clinic is part of a Catholic run health center (hospital).. The doors would slamm shut if they had to start paying taxes.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
Edmonton has a Grey Nuns hospital - I think Saskatoon has one as well.

petros

Edmonton has a Grey Nuns hospital - I think Saskatoon has one as well.

Yup and yup. S'Toons is smack dab in the hood just as Pasqua (Grey Nuns) is in Regina.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois

Yup and yup. S'Toons is smack dab in the hood just as Pasqua (Grey Nuns) is in Regina.

Maybe they can operate as for-profit hospitals.... That should make everyone extra happy considering that the churches will be paying taxes.
Last edited by captain morgan; Oct 15th, 2012 at 10:44 AM..

petros

Maybe they can operate as for-profit hospitals.... That should make everyone extra happy considering that the churches will be paying taxes.

Something I've noticed. The same immigrants that work in those hospitals are the ones filling the pews on Sundays these days. Koreans, Flips, Hispanics, Caribes, Middles Easterns, E Euros, Indians etc etc.