Beijing court finds boyfriend guilty of student's murder in B.C.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
The crime happened in Canada, so Canadian law should apply. However the murderer fled to China where he was arrested... So Chinese law applies regarding extradition. It sounds like the Chinese and Canadian authorities worked out a cooperative arrangement, where the RCMP helped Chinese authorities prosecute the case in exchange for a guarantee that China would not seek the death penalty.

Since China had the killer in custody, in practical terms, they were in the driver's seat.

While this case is unusual, justice appears to have been served, which is more important than who gets to prosecute and incarcerate the offender.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
The crime happened in Canada, so Canadian law should apply. However the murderer fled to China where he was arrested... So Chinese law applies regarding extradition. It sounds like the Chinese and Canadian authorities worked out a cooperative arrangement, where the RCMP helped Chinese authorities prosecute the case in exchange for a guarantee that China would not seek the death penalty.

Since China had the killer in custody, in practical terms, they were in the driver's seat.

While this case is unusual, justice appears to have been served, which is more important than who gets to prosecute and incarcerate the offender.

Besides... who wants to foot the bill on flying him back across the ocean & back to Canada?

Screw it, let him face the Chinese Justice System. I'm sure he'll enjoy that much more than the Canadian Justice System.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
He chose to flee to freaking CHINA.... seriously, he knew what he was facing in their legal system.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

You do have the point that China reserves the right to extradite him or not and in that case, I guess it would be preferabel for Canada to let them try him rather than just let him potentially get away with murder (assuming he is guilty of course). However, since the crime did occur on Canadian soil, diplomatically it would have made sense for China to extradite him or at least allow Canada to pick him up for trial.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
You do have the point that China reserves the right to extradite him or not and in that case, I guess it would be preferabel for Canada to let them try him rather than just let him potentially get away with murder (assuming he is guilty of course). However, since the crime did occur on Canadian soil, diplomatically it would have made sense for China to extradite him or at least allow Canada to pick him up for trial.
China can still send him back after it is through with him.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

I generally lean towards a "guilty" verdict when the person decides to flee the country to escape the authorities.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
China can still send him back after it is through with him.

And why the heck would we want him? Don't we always try to get the criminals deported after they do their time?

I generally lean towards a "guilty" verdict when the person decides to flee the country to escape the authorities.

It might be more of a probability, but running doesn't necessarily equate to guilt, just fear.