UN, Iran, Gun Control........This One Has It All!!!!!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Iran was elected to a top post on the UN Arms Trade Treaty conference, revealed UN Watch today in an exclusive report. The Geneva-based human rights group is calling on UN chief Ban Ki-moon, who addressed the conference on the same day, to condemn the selection of the Tehran regime. Although the U.N. conference website and summary fail to name the 15 members elected to the bureau on July 3rd, UN Watch has discovered that the countries elected to the five regional groups include Iran, Japan, and South Korea for the Asian group; Kenya, Egypt and Nigeria for Africa; Azerbaijan, Belarus, and Ukraine for Eastern Europe; Australia, Netherlands and Switzerland for the Western Europe & Others Group; and Mexico and two others for Latin America. (See U.N. webcast here, announcing election of Iran at minute 4:45.)
The United Nations Conference on the Arms Trade Treaty, which opened last week and runs until July 27, promises to deliver a new agreement to regulate the transfer of arms.
http://blog.unwatch.org/index.php/2012/07/08/un-watch-iran-elected-to-un-arms-trade-treaty-post/

Yep, let's put one of the most repressive regimes on earth at the head of international gun control. Kinda makes it obvious where THIS is going, doesn't it????

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
No one does a "right hand not knowing what the left hand" is doing better than a big, useless, bureaucratic body.

This would be a good place for a face palm.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
This would be a good place for a face palm.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Iran was just appointed by the United Nations to sit on the UN’s Arms Trade Treaty conference.

Yes, the same Iran that was just found guilty in a UN report of rearming the Syrian regime in its war against its own people, is now one of 15 countries at the UN overseeing arms control.

That’s sort of like OJ saying he really wants to track down the real killers, isn’t it?

Here’s what makes that even grosser: It was a unanimous vote.

Not a single country at the UN voted against Iran being on the committee. The Asian countries got to pick three, and so they chose the democracies of Japan and South Korea — but also the Islamic Republic of Iran.
Can the UN possibly sink any lower? - Ezra Levant

Read the entire article....he goes on to discuss Syria's coming ascension to a seat on the Human Rights Committee.

Seriously.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Oh.

The fact we are paranoid does NOT mean they aren't out to get us.......

The UN Human Rights Council;

Principles on the prevention of human rights violations committed with small arms
B. Due diligence to prevent human rights abuses by private actors
10. In order to ensure the protection of human rights by preventing small arms violence by private actors, Governments shall enact licensing requirements to prevent possession of arms by persons who are at risk of misusing them. Possession of small arms shall be authorized for specific purposes only_ small arms shall be used strictly for the purpose for which they are authorized. Before issuing a licence Governments shall require training in proper use of small arms, and shall take into consideration, at a minimum, the following factors: age, mental fitness, requested purpose, prior criminal record or record of misuse, and prior acts of domestic violence. Governments shall require periodic renewal of licences.
13. With the cooperation of the international community, Governments shall develop and implement effective disarmament, demobilization and reintegration programmes, including the effective collection, control, storage and destruction of small arms.

Behind the UN Gun Treaty | Power Line

Read the article, it is worthwhile.

I especially like the first line of his closing paragraph:

What was that? I didn’t hear you. I’m reloading.
LOL

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
:roll::lol:roflmfao

And ya's whine about the left wingnuts using extreme examples to support their rants.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
So, you agree the UN is extremist?

I assume then, you would support our withdrawal from that august body.........

I'd put you right up there with the extremists when it comes to your views on guns. As for the u.n. , unless there are major changes then I see no advantage to Canada being a member at this time.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I'd put you right up there with the extremists when it comes to your views on guns. As for the u.n. , unless there are major changes then I see no advantage to Canada being a member at this time.

"Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice."

Barry Goldwater

And you are correct about the UN as well.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
So, you agree the UN is extremist?

I assume then, you would support our withdrawal from that august body.........

I'm for it... the UN is a useless organization and does not represent any means of democracy so long as one single country can hold veto power over votes.... that's not democracy, it only seems like democracy so long as you vote in favour for the thing the country with veto power wants.

And when you have two or more opposing nations with veto power, nothing productive ever gets accomplished, thus you end up with stupid ideas and actions like the above where some bass'ackwards nation ends up being in charge of something they shouldn't be, but are in order to please their big brother nation with the veto power.

The League of Nations and The United Nations are as useless as testicles hanging off a trailer hitch:

They don't prevent anything, they don't solve anything and they don't help anybody any more than what already could be done by a smaller group of nations working together in temporary alliances... without having to seek approval from other nations with veto power.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Well, if folks here don't like domestic gun control, I suppose they don't like international gun control as well. Therefore, they should say close down that conference and abrogate that law.