Merkel now open to Greek Stimulus

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Softening, Merkel Says She Is Open to Stimulus for Greece

BERLIN — Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany said Wednesday that she was ready to discuss stimulus programs to get the Greek economy growing again and that she was committed to keeping Greece in the euro zone, signaling a softer approach toward the struggling country.

The fierce rhetorical salvos out of Germany in the past week gave way to conciliatory gestures by Ms. Merkel, who throughout the crisis has shown a propensity for managing through brinkmanship. “I have the will, the determination to keep Greece in the euro zone,” she said in an interview on CNBC on Wednesday, in what appeared to be an attempt to relax an increasingly tense situation.

If Greek officials are looking for “stimulus to be pursued for growth in the euro zone, which we could pursue in the interest of Greece, we’re open for this,” Ms. Merkel said. “Germany is open for this.”

Europe was shaken anew this week by the chaos in Greece, where a bank run threatened to hasten the country’s exit from the euro and jeopardize the Continent’s financial stability. While the impact of a country’s leaving the euro is hard to predict, economists fear the crisis could spread to much larger countries like Spain and Italy if financial markets bid up borrowing rates to unsustainable levels.

Ms. Merkel is preparing to head to Camp David in Maryland for the Group of 8 meeting beginning on Friday, and she is likely to be pressed there by the leaders of other industrial nations, in particular by President Obama, to find a way to quell the turmoil. On Tuesday night she met for the first time with France’s newly inaugurated president, François Hollande, who campaigned on the need for more growth-promoting policies.

In recent days Ms. Merkel has signaled a growing openness to additional growth measures as long as they do not interfere with the fiscal compact to cut deficits in the euro zone in the long run. “On the one hand we have the pillar of sound fiscal policy, and the second pillar will then be the growth component,” Ms. Merkel said in the CNBC interview.

That support could come in the form of money from existing European Union funds that would be redirected for use by crisis countries, said Fabian Zuleeg, the chief economist with the European Policy Center. That approach had been championed by Mr. Hollande.

But it will take more than technical adjustments to calm the growing political opposition to austerity in Greece, Spain and other hard-hit countries in the euro zone’s periphery, Mr. Zuleeg added. “We need to put together a package that looks convincing. It can’t just be rhetoric; it has to have some real elements to it,” he said. “The real element that certainly has to be in there is money.”

Ms. Merkel’s comments punctuated a day in which all sides — from European policy makers in Brussels to political operatives in Athens, where a caretaker government was named on Wednesday — began gearing up for a second Greek election, scheduled for June 17. The political establishment in Greece and elsewhere is seeking to describe the vote as a referendum on membership in the euro, which a large majority of Greeks say they support, even as they also demand a renegotiation of the terms of their bailout agreement.

Speaking at an event in Frankfurt on Wednesday, Mario Draghi, the president of the European Central Bank, made a plea for having Greece remain in the euro zone. “I want to state that our strong preference is that Greece will continue to stay in the euro area,” Mr. Draghi said.

German officials have been boasting recently about the ability of the euro zone to handle a Greek exit. Though aimed at reining in Greece’s left-wing parties and their goal of renegotiating the bailout deal, the talk also unsettled markets and had the potential of turning into a self-fulfilling prophecy. The perils of brinkmanship in an unstable environment were on full display on Wednesday as the news emerged that Greeks had pulled nearly $900 million in savings from banks in the days after the May 6 elections, prompting fears of an uncontrollable bank run.

The tough talk about Greece’s departure from the euro has resulted in growing qualms among the Greek public that their money could be converted to a new, significantly weaker currency — such as a reintroduced drachma — shrinking the value of hard-earned nest eggs. The more likely this possibility appears, the more Greeks have an incentive to put their money in bank accounts abroad.

With the continuing instability, the rest of Europe would remain “in limbo” waiting for Greek elections, said Holger Schmieding, chief economist at Berenberg Bank in London, “which for financial markets means one thing: volatility.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/world/europe/greek-stimulus-is-an-option-merkel-says.html?_r=1

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Until the Greek populace out grows their sense of entitlements bailing them out is just throwing good money after bad. The longer this goes on the bigger the financial crunch to the next generation.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
It's funny that Merkel was so previously adamant about austerity and now she's waffling.

Why the change of heart?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Guess which nation's banks hold most of the greek debt which would become worthless if they went on their own?

I'm pretty sure that France actually has the biggest exposure to Greek debt, which makes no sense why Hollande would be pushing for an easement on austerity, but that is France's row to hoe.

In terms of Merkel, from what I have heard, she is not against providing the Greeks with funding, but rather, she wants conditions applied to it that curtail gvt spending on egregious social programs like state-sponsored retirement at 55 years and instituting a tax regime that will apply to all those that are evading taxes

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Either way, we're all screwed right?

The WMDs! I mean.. GREECE!

All I'm saying is that the Germans appear to be willing to work with Greece on this, but they want certain assurances that the money will be employed in a manner that will have long term economic benefits to Greece and therefore will have a stabilizing effect on the various lenders (incl Germany).

Personally, I don't think that Merkel's request is egregious in any way.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
All I'm saying is that the Germans appear to be willing to work with Greece on this, but they want certain assurances that the money will be employed in a manner that will have long term economic benefits to Greece and therefore will have a stabilizing effect on the various lenders (incl Germany).

Really?

So you don't think the right move is austerity then?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
I think that the right move is for the EU to provide funding under a program of austerity.

Greece's other option is to default on the loans and then later beg the IMF to come in when the crisis is full blown at which time the IMF will provide funding under the strict conditions of cutting absolutely everything to the bone.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
They can't let Greece fall or others would jump at the chance, even Ireland who just doubled their debt not long ago and the economy is still in the ditch.

For Greece to bail their first act would be to nationalize the banks and cancel all debts, the high places will be crowded the day that happens, lol

What is the yearly interest on a $2B loan and what is Greece paying on her current national debt? (principle and incurred interest)
Sorry that will be a $1T loan
http://hereisthecity.com/2012/05/17/cost-of-greek-exit-from-euro-put-at-1tn/
Monthly payments over the next 100 years @ 5% is $4,195,229,063.10, interest is $4,034,274,875,724.

Greece would do better than Iceland, tourism would go up for people (other than Germans) and that is a steady source of income especially when prices are low because there is a low national debt now that Greece is running their own currency from their own banks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT6n5H7EA4Y&feature=youtube_gdata

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I'm pretty sure that France actually has the biggest exposure to Greek debt, which makes no sense why Hollande would be pushing for an easement on austerity, but that is France's row to hoe.

In terms of Merkel, from what I have heard, she is not against providing the Greeks with funding, but rather, she wants conditions applied to it that curtail gvt spending on egregious social programs like state-sponsored retirement at 55 years and instituting a tax regime that will apply to all those that are evading taxes

I know the French are in it too. I thought the German Banks had significant exposure (and for those who can't connect dots too well -- this would be why the German govt would be softening its positions) as well.