Graphic: The Death Penalty around the world

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
How does the world view capital punishment? What are the numbers of deaths around the world? The National Post’s graphics team takes a close look at the death penalty.
Download a large-scale PDF of this graphic

Graphic: The death penalty across the world | News | National Post

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
In the United States, many states are trying to abolish the death penalty. Illinois was the last.. this is why I love Texas.

While the rest of the country is trying to abolish the death penalty, Texas puts in a fast lane.

You you're found guilty of a capital offense, which calls for the death penalty and there were 3 credible witnesses to your crime, you don't just get place on a waiting list.. nope, you get put in the front of the waiting list.. pass everyone else up to the front.. lol :lol:

Viva la Texas!!! Long Live Texas!!! THE BEST STATE IN THE UNION!!!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
In the United States, many states are trying to abolish the death penalty. Illinois was the last.. this is why I love Texas.

While the rest of the country is trying to abolish the death penalty, Texas puts in a fast lane.

You you're found guilty of a capital offense, which calls for the death penalty and there were 3 credible witnesses to your crime, you don't just get place on a waiting list.. nope, you get put in the front of the waiting list.. pass everyone else up to the front.. lol :lol:

Viva la Texas!!! Long Live Texas!!! THE BEST STATE IN THE UNION!!!

How many prisoners executed were innocent - Right - cannot happen in Texas.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
How many prisoners executed were innocent - Right - cannot happen in Texas.

...and how many prisoners are sent away for life that are innocent. Life in prison or death.. let me see.. kill me please.

The justice system is not 100%, but with the advancement in surveillance, DNA and well just common sense... I would have to say, Hang 'Em High !!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
...and how many prisoners are sent away for life that are innocent. Life in prison or death.. let me see.. kill me please.

The justice system is not 100%, but with the advancement in surveillance, DNA and well just common sense... I would have to say, Hang 'Em High !!

So executing an innocent man is just the cost of doing business?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It's a good option for those who need it, eg. the Norwegian who murdered 77 innocent people for no valid reason!

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

While I don't shed a tear for murders, I don't support the Death Penalty.

Into the Abyss is a very interesting film.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
So executing an innocent man is just the cost of doing business?

What percentage of the people on death row are innocent. Seriously.

I think that with the advancement in Science, DNA, Video surveillance, and other technology the chances of being wrongly convicted are slowly coming to an end.

Chances are.. if you are found guilty.. you're guilty.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I think that with the advancement in Science, DNA, Video surveillance, and other technology the chances of being wrongly convicted are slowly coming to an end.

I did hear several years ago that 12% of incarcerated people are innocent but am not sure if that could be extrapolated through to death row. Taking one innocent life is one too many, but having said that we are losing many innocent lives anyway in the commission of crime.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I did hear several years ago that 12% of incarcerated people are innocent but am not sure if that could be extrapolated through to death row. Taking one innocent life is one too many, but having said that we are losing many innocent lives anyway in the commission of crime.

How many of those 12% of incarcerated people are on death row?? .01% what?

Sorry, I am pro gun laws.. I think every Canadian should be allowed to wear one on their hip, and I am very pro death penalty..

I think my only Liberal view is "EQUAL" Health Care for all.. other than that.. I've lived in Texas to long, I am very Conservative and a proud member..

Home :: TexasGOP - Republican Party of Texas

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
It's a good option for those who need it, eg. the Norwegian who murdered 77 innocent people for no valid reason!

And he wont be executed. Its very interesting the way they're handling that case. Instead of calling for his blood they're being more open to immigration and singing songs the guy hates.

People are acquitted from death row every year. Sentencing one innocent person to death is too much.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
First I'd be interested to know how many people on death row, have been model citizens all their lives except for the one crime they are sentenced to death for? (Besides Scott Peterson) Perhaps one foolproof system would be to only sentence people to death who have been found guilty of two or more capital crimes. :smile:

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
First I'd be interested to know how many people on death row, have been model citizens all their lives except for the one crime they are sentenced to death for? (Besides Scott Peterson) Perhaps one foolproof system would be to only sentence people to death who have been found guilty of two or more capital crimes. :smile:

Yes JLM I gave you a thumbs up.. :lol: For making me laugh.

They are guilty of something.. so kill'em. Love that approach.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's about time that Britain brought back the death penalty. Hopefully that petition on UK Government website e-petitions which is calling for the re-instatement of the death penalty will get enough signatures for it to be discussed in Parliament.

First I'd be interested to know how many people on death row, have been model citizens all their lives except for the one crime they are sentenced to death for?

Does it matter? Their previous conduct in their lives shouldn't factor in it.

People such as child murderers, cop killers and paedophiles - the likes of Ian Huntley and the Yorkshire Ripper - should, in my opinion, dance the Tyburn Jig.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
It's about time that Britain brought back the death penalty. Hopefully that petition on UK Government website e-petitions which is calling for the re-instatement of the death penalty will get enough signatures for it to be discussed in Parliament.

So I take it that you are familiar with the number of people sentenced to die who were later cleared of all charges - some took as long as 20 to 30 years.
Or those that have been executed when there was evidence raised later that could have proven their innocence.
So clearly you are OK with a few mistakes.
So are you?