Keystone XL Likely Dead

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Keystone XL Likely Dead

Critics of U.S. domestic energy policy are trying to maneuver the Keystone XL oil pipeline past the Oval Office, trumpeting the project as the 21st century version of the New Deal. The project has come to represent growing divisions in domestic energy policy during the presidential campaign cycle in the United States. In the long shadow of the project, however, are a series of domestic oil pipelines that could make Keystone XL redundant by the time it goes into service in 2015.

Republican lawmakers may try to force the administrations hands once again on the Keystone XL pipeline, a project meant to transfer crude oil from tar sand deposits in Alberta, Canada, to refineries along the southern U.S. coast. Presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney mourned, before an audience of supporters in Nevada, that the U.S. government was able to put its manufacturing muscle on display by building the interstate highway system and the Hoover Dam. Now, the U.S. government "can't even build a pipeline," he said in a reference to Keystone XL.

Since the fight over Keystone XL began, however, several projects have developed that could make the pipeline redundant. TransCanada, the company behind Keystone, said the $13 billion extension will play a key role in linking a "secure and growing supply" of Canadian crude oil to refining markets in the United States. But another pipeline, the Bakken Crude Express, planned from extensive oil deposits in the Northern Plains, will service similar U.S. refining markets for about 10 percent of the cost of Keystone XL. And Canadian pipeline company Enbridge may beat TransCanada to the punch with its plans to reverse the flow on the Seaway pipeline, which would ease the glut of Canadian and North Dakota crude. Enbridge also wants to build its Flanagan South project to trading hubs in Cushing, Okla., and expects an in-service date of 2014. That's a full year ahead of Keystone XL, assuming TransCanada gets the federal approval it needs to build the entire pipeline.

While U.S. politicians were exchanging blows over the presidential permit needed for Keystone XL, TransCanada announced it was moving ahead with the Gulf Coast project, a 485-mile domestic leg of Keystone XL. Of the pipelines mentioned, only Keystone XL needs a laborious presidential permit and Enbridge said Seaway's reversal was already month ahead of schedule. Meanwhile, the U.S. Energy Department said the country was moving away from at least some foreign crude oil reserves because Bakken crude was so cheap. In the Oval Office, though much of that is because of existing legislation, Obama is quick to note that domestic oil and natural gas production is at historic highs.

By the time the theoretical in-service date for Keystone XL rolls around, whoever the next U.S. president is will be halfway through their tenure and at least one of TransCanada's rival projects will be up and running. Looking back to 2012, Romney, wherever he is in three years, may prove to be prophetic when he said the U.S. can't get a pipeline built because, given recent developments, there might not be anything to build.

By Daniel J. Graeber of Oilprice.com (No. 1 source for oil and energy news)

Keystone XL Likely Dead - Oilprice.com

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Probably in Canada's best interests to build the Northern Gateway and have options other than a myopic US market.
Could even build a pipe East if memories of Trudeau's disastrous NEP ever fade.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
A p/l East makes a helluva lot of sense. Refine in Southern Ontario and sell into the high density N/E/ US market.

Problem: Will the communities in Southern Ont be willing to incorporate several large refineries in their neighbourhoods?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
A p/l East makes a helluva lot of sense. Refine in Southern Ontario and sell into the high density N/E/ US market.

Problem: Will the communities in Southern Ont be willing to incorporate several large refineries in their neighbourhoods?

Not in our lifetimes.
Herin lies the problem. Everyone wants cheap energy but not where they live or play. Same with their garbage disposal. Make it go away but not near me or anything or anyplace I might ever go. And at no cost.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Seems the pipeline is not dead yet. Must really suck to have your property taken away..........

Texas Farmer Arrested for Protesting Keystone XL

Eleanor Fairchild, the Texas farmer whose story about TransCanada using eminent domain to take her land for the Keystone XL pipeline we recently shared, has been arrested for trespassing, on her own land, while protesting the construction just beginning there.

Texas Farmer Arrested for Trespassing on Her Own Land Protesting Keystone XL : TreeHugger

and

Texas Homeowner Speaks Out About TransCanada Taking Her Land for Keystone XL Pipeline (Video) : TreeHugger

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Not in our lifetimes.
Herin lies the problem. Everyone wants cheap energy but not where they live or play. Same with their garbage disposal. Make it go away but not near me or anything or anyplace I might ever go. And at no cost.

I personally have no qualms about government raising my energy costs, seeing that I'm well aware that their subsidized by my taxes.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I personally have no qualms about government raising my energy costs, seeing that I'm well aware that their subsidized by my taxes.

We could certainly use some subsidizing of gas around here. On thursday gas went from $1.25.9 to $1.37.9 even though crude prices dropped.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
We could certainly use some subsidizing of gas around here. On thursday gas went from $1.25.9 to $1.37.9 even though crude prices dropped.

Why subsidize gas? Let people pay market price for it. Why should my taxes subsidize other people's gas? I'm generous. If you're starving, I have no issue with taxes giving you a helping hand, if spent wisely to maybe teach you some trade or profession that will get you a job. But, you do not have a right to a car and cheap gas. Those are luxuries.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Don't subsidise gas regulate it. Use the Canadian Government hammer if one must.
The best way to fly in the face of these damn trade deals is for some national Govt.
to apply a two price system.
Regulate the Canadian price slightly lower than world price, We don't want the cheap
oil prices that has seen the food industry in a tail spin for decades. The few cents less
would give us competitive advantage. Set a second or world price lower than OPEC
which would give us sales advantage on a limited supply. Don't sell massive amounts
of oil, sell it for a higher markup and to countries that share our views on things like,
human rights.
Some say others would retaliate. Yup, but then we also have most of the raw materials
the world is looking for and we control our share of wheat and other technologies the
world is looking for. Can't control that you say? Nonsense, America has an international
list that American companies can't sell too.
The point I am making here is not so much that we actually do it as much as we threaten
to do it if companies and others don't smarten up. It is not about economics its about the
political will to stand behind our words.
Keystone should never been started. Here we Canadians would give up our resource to
satisfy the greed of our neighbours. In turn those neighbours would refine our resource
keep the real jobs for themselves and have it sold by a company that is heavily invested in
by the Saudi Government. Does anyone see a problem with this? All domestic resources
should be heavily controlled or owned by the National Government. I prefer controlled with
regulations as to ownership. We all know what happens when the Feds own something.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Subsidies or tax credits? Is it possible that the Govt also invests and is part owner of these ventures? If the Govt owns part of it, YOU own part of it.